CHAPTER ONE: A Pirate’s Life for Me

CHAPTER ONE: A Pirate’s Life for Me

A Chapter by Dave Burgess
"

Based on Dave Burgess's popular "Outrageous Teaching" and "Teach Like a PIRATE" seminars, this book offers inspiration, practical techniques, and innovative ideas that will help you to increase studen

"

 

TEACH LIKE A PIRATE

Increase student engagement, boost your creativity, and transform your life as an educator.

 

By DAVE BURGESS

 

 

 

CHAPTER ONE: A Pirate’s Life for Me

 

“Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.” �"Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

 

“Life’s pretty good, and why wouldn’t it be? I’m a pirate, after all.” �"Johnny Depp

 

 

I’ve spent the past few years of my life traveling from conference to conference and school to school, dressed as a pirate.

I get some odd looks. But that’s OK. I’m a teacher. Getting odd looks is part of the job.

I am on a crusade to spread the message of Teach Like a PIRATE�"a system that can, like a treasure map, guide you to the reward of total transformation of your classroom and your life as an educator. In my book, that’s worth a few odd looks.

Teach Like a PIRATE is part inspirational manifesto and part practical roadmap. My hope is that it will lead you to become more passionate, creative, and fulfilled in your role as a teacher. At the same time, my goal is to help you create an inviting, engaging, and most importantly, empowering classroom climate.

So why a pirate? After all, we don’t want teachers who attack and rob ships at sea. Teaching like a pirate has nothing to do with the dictionary definition and everything to do with the spirit. Pirates are daring, adventurous, and willing to set forth into uncharted territories with no guarantee of success. They reject the status quo and refuse to conform to any society that stifles creativity and independence. They are entrepreneurs who take risks and are willing to travel to the ends of the earth for that which they value. Although fiercely independent, they travel with and embrace a diverse crew. If you’re willing to live by the code, commit to the voyage, and pull your share of the load, then you’re free to set sail. Pirates don’t much care about public perception; they proudly fly their flags in defiance. And besides, everybody loves a pirate.

“The average man will bristle if you say his father is dishonest, but he’ll brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate.” �"Bern Williams

That description of the pirate’s spirit sounds exactly like the kind of character we need more of in education. In these challenging and changing times, our students need leaders who are willing to venture forward without a clear map to explore new frontiers. We need mavericks and renegades who are willing to use unorthodox tactics to spark and kindle the flame of creativity and imagination in the minds of the young. We need entrepreneurial innovators who are capable of captaining the educational ship through waters that are rough and constantly changing. In short, we need pirates...we need you.

 

Lay of the Land

Teach Like a PIRATE is divided into three parts:

 

Part I: Teach Like a PIRATE

This is the heart of the PIRATE system and philosophy. It is divided into six chapters, one chapter for each letter of the word.

Passion�"You know you’re supposed to be passionate about your job as a teacher. This chapter explains how to feel passionate, even if the subject you’re teaching isn’t all that exciting to you.

Immersion�"It’s easy to shout directions from the safety of the sidelines, but the safe approach isn’t the most effective one. To really engage your students you must be immersed in the moment. You’ll learn in this chapter why your class needs your full attention.

Rapport�"Getting to know your students on a personal level, showing them they are more than just a grade, and giving them a safe, fun environment sets the stage for learning. This chapter offers ideas on how to build rapport naturally and authentically so you can connect with your students.

Ask and Analyze�"Coming up with creative ideas begins by asking the right questions. Making sure those ideas connect with your audience requires constant analysis and openness to feedback. This chapter will help you ask and analyze better so you can be a more creative and effective teacher.

Transformation�"If you feel as though you’re constantly hitting roadblocks with your students, maybe it’s time to transform your expectations for what’s possible in the classroom. This chapter explains how to reframe your subject�"for yourself and your students�"so you can break down those barriers.

Enthusiasm�"Above all, enthusiasm is the most powerful tool in the classroom. This chapter explains why you must use it freely. You’ll also learn how to ramp up your enthusiasm so your last class of the day receives the same high-impact lesson as your first class.

 

Part II: Crafting Engaging Lessons

Are you tired of trying to talk over students who seem bent on ignoring you? This section will help you engage them and magnetically pull them into your lesson. In this crash course on designing engaging presentations you’ll find captivating hooks you can add to your content, as well as brainstorming questions to help you generate unbelievably engaging ideas for your lessons and skyrocket your creativity. The questions will spur you to think outside the box, and the applications give you some immediate and practical experience for implementing the creative process.

 

Part III: Building a Better Pirate

Before you set sail, you’ll want to read these final instructions. In this section you’ll find the reassurance and guidance needed to ensure that you reach your final destination and receive a treasure worthy of the voyage.

 

Welcome aboard



© 2013 Dave Burgess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This sounds like probably one of the ballsyest teaching systems I've ever heard of.

If I were still in school, no matter what grade it were, I would instantly be hooked on a class that were taught with such creative passion and enthusiasm

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 14, 2013
Last Updated on January 14, 2013
Tags: Children’s book, education, literature, teaching, nonfiction


Author

Dave Burgess
Dave Burgess

About
Dave Burgess is a highly sought after professional development speaker well known for his creative, entertaining, and outrageously energetic style. His workshops, seminars, and keynotes inspire teache.. more..

Writing