Freedom Is Not Free

Freedom Is Not Free

A Stage Play by A.N.W.
"

A play about a certain day in future America, in a Communist government..

"
Set up:
Long stage with three dividers which signify each character and their stage of life.
To the left, the setting is a busy subway, where the character Irene will be.
In the middle is a living room with a window, a chair and a coffee table. Out the window, a poster saying: "Freedom is not free", is clearly visible. This is where the character Arthur will be.
On the end, is an underground abandoned pub, where an empty bar and cracked bottles remain, a place once evident with life. This is where the character Luke will be.

Characters: Irene, a teenager girl, wearing a coat and scarf. 
Arthur, an elderly man, with forgotten significance. 
Luke, mid-twenties, with hardened features.
Curtain rises.
 

Arthur: (raises head slowly) There's a storm brewing. I can feel it in the air. It rumbles through my bones. I more so hope it than guess it. After a storm there can either be chaos or sunshine; maybe both if you have an odd luck. This country is not what it used to be. This is not the same country I was born into or that my ancestors fought for. This is new blood, new territory. I don't like it.
Irene: (opens up a pamphlet and stares at it studiously; she reads it hesitantly)Freedom is not free...freedom is bought with a price..with hard work, diligence and sacrifice.. (nods in agreement and speaks the words more confidently) Freedom is not free. Freedom is bought with a price. It is bought with hard work, diligence and sacrifice. (smiles, pleased and places the pamphlet in her backpack)   
Luke: There's definitely a storm coming. Lightning, thunder, hail, maybe even a blizzard; the works. (he smiles smugly) This country don't know what's coming. (takes pocketknife and makes an indentation in the bar)Just wait and see.
Irene: All my life, I've known what is to be true. Governments only want the best, their job is't easy. Life isn't easy for any of us, but it's better than in some places. We're all equal, and equals can stick together.
Arthur: I saw it fall. (places hands in lap) I saw the government crumble right before my eyes. I did nothing to stop it. (shakes head in guilt) I did nothing at all.
Irene: The youth are the hands and feet of the generation, of the movement. There is no progression with the weak. Only the strongest will survive. Nature states it.
Luke: My grandfathers years ago fought for what is now being sold to us. Freedom. Freedom ain't free, they damned right about that. But freedom nowadays comes with a different price tag, more criteria. (clenches jaw) I'll fight.
Arthur: (looks out the window) They promised me money. Like every other man on board, I was a greedy b*****d. I got my money. But it didn't buy me my freedom. Nothing will ever buy my freedom.
Irene: Hard work is the precedent of a good, honest living, so they say. If you live by the rebel's way, you die by the Man's sword, they say.
Luke: If I die, I die. Someone's gotta do it. (clenches fist) Someone's gotta make a change. If you show them fear, they'll take it all away from you.
Irene: The fear in a man's eyes show his weakness. The tremble in his hand, the quiver in his lips show his failures. 
Arthur: There is no turning back. Freedom is not free they say. But while freedom is expensive, freedom is priceless.
Irene: Freedom comes to those who make themselves worthy of it.
Luke: Freedom comes to those who take it.
Curtain quickly falls

© 2013 A.N.W.


Author's Note

A.N.W.
My character analysis:
I have three different characters, different genders, each in a different stage of life.

Irene is a teenager, brainwashed by the doctrines the totalitarian government has established in her.
Arthur is an elderly man who sold his freedom for greed. He used to be part of the Senate but (like many politicians today) had only focused on one thing--money--and unknowingly sold his freedom.
Luke is a hardened rebel from a family of patriots. In complete refusal to stand back and watch his country go down in flames, he choices to fight.

What happens to the characters is up to your interpretation, but I would love to hear what you think happened

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
Added on December 5, 2013
Last Updated on December 6, 2013
Tags: freedom, america, politics, communist, government, free, country, dictator, slavery

Author

A.N.W.
A.N.W.

Phoenix, AZ



About
I'm 29 years young. I wright what I feel My style is sort of unknown at the moment. more..

Writing
i lost it i lost it

A Poem by A.N.W.