Skinny Dragon

Skinny Dragon

A Story by barnaby harrison
"

Losing a loved one is hard and so this story follows that path.

"

Every night I think of you. I think of your carefully bleached hair and your ocean blue eyes that I can remember so well. I think of your soft, airy voice that calmed me in my time of need. I think of you.

You used to call me skinny dragon, I was ever so thin back then and my temper was equal to the fiery strop only a dragon could throw. Dragons were our secret belief, something that humoured any situation I may find myself in, something that I can no longer share with you.

 

Dad tries to understand; but he can’t. He has tried to simulate your goodnight kiss, he has tried to speak in the same voices you did for my story time, but he can’t…not like you. The night you went into hospital is the night that haunts me forever; you weren’t who I remembered you as. Leads hung from your chest and there was a steady beep as the monitor picked up your heartbeat, I always listened for that beep, I hoped that it would wake you up and that everything would just go back the way it was.

 

The doctors said you were in a coma and that there was no certainty that you would wake up. My tears fell only for the first few days but then they just stopped…almost as if they had run out. Days went past, weeks and then months until a full year had gone, and you were still there, beeping away. I sat next to your bed doing my homework until dad entered the room; he’d been crying and was accompanied by a nurse as well as our local priest.

 

I lost it. The dragon within my already fragile being took over and I left the room just like you used to tell me to do; I had to walk away. I waited for what seemed to be hours within the hospital café until I decided to return to your room; I had to say one last thing.

 

I ran up the familiar stairs and through the ward corridors. As I sprung round the corner of the door frame I saw an empty bed…you had gone. My heart dropped along with my hope and faith; you’d gone and there was nothing I could do.

 

“Casey.” A voice behind me sounded

 

I turned only to see dad. He tried to explain but I wouldn’t let him; it wasn’t only his choice.

 

We returned home and lived as normal life as possible but I can’t forget you and I hope you haven’t forgotten me…your skinny dragon.

© 2015 barnaby harrison


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on June 29, 2015
Last Updated on June 29, 2015
Tags: death, love, mum, dad

Author

barnaby harrison
barnaby harrison

Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom



About
I am a creative writer based in Lymington, UK. My passion is poetry although recently I have shifted to writing crime fiction and other dark short novels. more..

Writing