Dance In Someone Else's Tapshoes

Dance In Someone Else's Tapshoes

A Story by Ash
"

After an unexpected closing of her dance school, Emma just wants someone to understand. But is that even possible?

"
"Five, six, seven, eight!"

          Even until today, these commands ring in my head from time to time. Math class? Five and six! Church? Seven and eight! I even catch myself unconsciously mumbling the four numbers. What do these numbers stand for? Perhaps my favorite number or a countdown to the New Year. Well, these guesses are incorrect. The only explanation for this question remains in the past, in one place. A place that has vanished from this world. Clara Patten's School of Dance. The second any dance instructor yells to her students, "Five, six, seven, eight!", all little dancers are expected to start doing what they do best: Dance. This is no different for me, Emma. Although at this point I should say this was no different. Four years ago today was when my life was slightly hindered. The day Clara Patten's School of Dance shut down permanently. Today I plan to spend in my room, alone like usual. Unfortunately, my "lovely father" had other plans for me.
"Be more social." His harsh whisper sunk in my head. My whole family arrived at our town's bowling ally just as my Dad decided to give me heart to heart. By that I mean a complete overview of how I need to get out of the house more often.
"You don't understand. I will go anywhere you want me to tomorrow. It's just today that I want to be in my-" I didn't even get out the last word before my Dad protested.
"Why?! Why is it today of all days do you 'have' to be in that room!" I really didn't see the point of explaining my case. To explain why today I'm especially down in the dumps. However, I suppose that there is no better time to tell him than now. Maybe he will listen...
"Well, today was the day that my dance school shut down, and it really meant a lot to me. So for today I really just wanted to stay in my room and be alone." After I finished, I felt an overwhelming rush of hope. Maybe he will understand where I'm coming from and leave me be. When I saw the scowl on his face, that wave of hope drastically diminished into deep disappointment.
"Are you kidding right now? That stupid dance school closed down four years ago. Four years! Sorry Emma, but that isn't helping your case. There's no way you "care" that much. What happened?! You used to be my little social butterfly. I don't know what's up with this attitude lately, but you better suck it up and have a great time like the rest of your family!" With that, he walked off to meet my mom and my sister at bowling lane three. I was left stunned in my spot as tears threatened my eyes. I remember back in eighth grade when our whole class read To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. In only the first few chapters, Atticus was instantly my favorite character. For he said something along the lines of, 'try hopping in someone else's shoes and walk around in them'. Most of my classmates shook off this statement, but I pondered over it. You have to walk in someone else's shoes to truly understand. Or in this case, tap shoes.
 

© 2016 Ash


Author's Note

Ash
This is my first story, so it may not be that great. I would really appreciate any corrects on my grammar or sentence structure.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on February 2, 2016
Last Updated on February 2, 2016

Author

Ash
Ash

About
I have been through some things, and I now have writings to express not the events that took place, but the deeper meaning. more..

Writing
Sea Shells Sea Shells

A Poem by Ash


The Exception The Exception

A Story by Ash