What I Do Know

What I Do Know

A Poem by Sasha
"

To someone special. Also a nod to all the pathetic weirdos like me that refuse to stop dreaming. <3

"

Stranger,


It's true enough I don't know your whole life's story. I don't know where you have been and I'm not sure of where you're going. I don't know the names of all your friends, what your favorite color is, or if you sprinkle when you tinkle. (I'm not totally unrealistic and acknowledge these pressing issues may be of some consequence at some point.) But I do know that right here, right now, you make me happy. I've enjoyed what little time I've spent in your company and cherish the moments that you're around. The moments in which my heart beats quickly and there's a warm smile on my face to compliment my warm cheeks. You make me laugh and a little bit queasy. Talking to you is easy - it's as natural as breathing. When you're away, you're on my mind. I think of you often and... in ways I don't think you should know just yet. You're sweet, amusing, intelligent, honest and laid-back. What other requirements must be met? How many beats per minute does my heart need to reach before it's okay to say I feel this way?


I'd be more than willing to tell you now, but per the flawed mentality enforced by society, that isn't allowed. "Love has no limits." is a cliché that's as true as the day is long, but not one we're permitted to live by. Something so effortless and beautiful is buried under complicated rules. Rules created by who? And why? Our lives are far too transient to set such pointless limitations. If I died tomorrow, would it be "too soon" to tell me you loved me tonight or too late to say it in two months? I know it ultimately wouldn't matter in that scenario, but follow me here. We're waiting to play a winning hand in a game we're destined to lose. I say put the cards on the table now while they're still hot. While they still matter. 


I say I don't know you're whole life's story, but I'm enjoying the read so far and want to be a main character. 


I say you're worth the wait, but I'm sure we're worth a shot.  So I'll say I love you, "stranger," whether you're ready for it or not.


The yours to your mine,


Some Girl


PS: Yes, I would like some cheese with my whine. Jerk. :)

© 2010 Sasha


Author's Note

Sasha
You are all sworn to secrecy. I've gotta make this explode on my own.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Although this has a poetic feel at times, I think it is more a short story than anything - but it is very interesting all the same. It comes across to me as a self-confessed honesty that is being imagined in the lover's head, but cannot be said aloud. It's almost as though it refers to someone that they haven't even met somehow, but worship at a distance: the line at the end implies the speaker is sat at a dining table (the sharp remark to a waiter also shows another side to the personality in an amusing aside).. as though the lover is perhaps looking across the room at the person they are thinking of..
"How many beats per minute does my heart need to reach before it's okay to say I feel this way?"
...this is a line I was really struck by..it expresses feeling in quite an original way, which is rather effective..and..
"We're waiting to play a winning hand in a game we're destined to lose."
..this line is very incisive with relation to the here and now of feeling and opportunity in what is ultimately a short life when potential goes unexplored..
A situation which everyone finds themselves in on many an occasion in this life..these words suggest an "if only" philosophy, like "carpe diem"...If only society would allow us to behave more spontaneously and freely without being frowned upon then maybe our existence would be more productive and enjoyable, without the anxieties and repression that goes on day to day...
An unusual, real, and human discourse - the humour of the piece mixed with its personal wisdom and secrecy make it different and accessible.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well, obviously you can't profess your love until you've completed the appropriate side-quest... oh wait, that wasn't actually real life, was it? This is great - immediately recognizable (who has NOT been in this situation). What kind of species are we that the act of telling someone you're interested is sometimes the death knell of love/relationship opportunities? The format really frees you in terms of prose too, away from any sort of structured stanza and into this free-verse, which is lyrical in it's own way (and, I think, better for it).

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Although this has a poetic feel at times, I think it is more a short story than anything - but it is very interesting all the same. It comes across to me as a self-confessed honesty that is being imagined in the lover's head, but cannot be said aloud. It's almost as though it refers to someone that they haven't even met somehow, but worship at a distance: the line at the end implies the speaker is sat at a dining table (the sharp remark to a waiter also shows another side to the personality in an amusing aside).. as though the lover is perhaps looking across the room at the person they are thinking of..
"How many beats per minute does my heart need to reach before it's okay to say I feel this way?"
...this is a line I was really struck by..it expresses feeling in quite an original way, which is rather effective..and..
"We're waiting to play a winning hand in a game we're destined to lose."
..this line is very incisive with relation to the here and now of feeling and opportunity in what is ultimately a short life when potential goes unexplored..
A situation which everyone finds themselves in on many an occasion in this life..these words suggest an "if only" philosophy, like "carpe diem"...If only society would allow us to behave more spontaneously and freely without being frowned upon then maybe our existence would be more productive and enjoyable, without the anxieties and repression that goes on day to day...
An unusual, real, and human discourse - the humour of the piece mixed with its personal wisdom and secrecy make it different and accessible.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This made me think of Romeo and Juliet for some reason, but I think it's something a lot of people can relate to. Also being well written helps. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You know, I LOVE the fact that you wrote this in letter form. It's very personal. And I could relate to nearly every line. It was light-hearted and sweet, even with the quip that was like that flirtatious punch in the arm we give our man when they say something, tongue in cheek, that would offend us if it came from anyone else. I really think this is a wonderful write you've got here. Great Job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

love the ending, "PS: yea, I would like some cheese with my whine. Jerk." Jerk made it powerful in a funny way :) As for your actual piece, its very emotional. feels like your talking about someone who is distant in age when you said, "I'd be more than willing to tell you now, but per the flawed mentality enforced by society, that isn't allowed."

It does seem like one of my pieces, like you said. I feel that they can actually go together if we wanted them too lol.

Great job on your writing. I enjoyed it and will be reading more of your work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh, Sasha.. You're a woman after my own heart. This is so beautiful and honest. I empathize with every line. It's like I could've typed this myself!
I loved the way you used Edwardian Script font to distinuish the name of your oblivious lover and yourself. You were smart to call yourself "Some Girl" to emphasize the point even someone you know very well can be a stranger. How clever!
I liked that hella rhyming line in the first stanza where you rhymed like six words in one sentence. I think that's a new record or something. I'll check with Guiness on it. The first line of the second stanza was also really sexy and rhymed like that annoying pattern in math problems. What's it called again? Oh yeah, FOIL. F**k FOIL, but it really did come out as first inner outtie last. That was clever too. Was it on purpose? The example about dying was so true, even if it was kinda pointless. But that card game metaphor was sexy as hell. Pat yourself on the back for that, seriously. Your saluation was also witty in a vaguely confusing kind of way. I see what you were getting at, though. I lol'd at the little quip at the end. How cute. I guess he's one of those meanie weenie types that likes to poke fun at you. Nice one getting that into the letter. I feel like all your bases were covered and this was a smooth read.

The one thing I would change about this is WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? And it's really cheesy. Like, irreparable damage cheesy. And what's with that "I say I say I say" thing at the end? You're not British, so stop it.
Other than that, good job. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

767 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 3, 2010
Last Updated on June 4, 2010
Tags: poetry, prose, a fool's pleasure, i'll change the game for you, cheesy love letter

Author

Sasha
Sasha

Hollywood, FL



About
What can I say? My icon used to be the incredible Alistair of Dragon Age: Origins, but Devons couldn't stand him. =/ I told him to choose a pic better suited to me and he chose the hot warrior girl .. more..

Writing
Unconventional Unconventional

A Poem by Sasha


The Right Hand The Right Hand

A Poem by Sasha



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


51 Reasons 51 Reasons

A Poem by Sasha