The Most Dangerous Drug

The Most Dangerous Drug

A Poem by Elizabeth

 

 

 

Sitting on the back porch, cigarette in hand, I write to you.

 

The moon blinks and the stars taunt while dogs bark in the distance.

Practicality is tiring and fantasy unsatisfying.

 

Always there will be this nothingness.

 

Endless nothingness.

 

Reason has stranded me in this place, today.

Someday is a time that will not come soon enough. 

 

The gravity of this sentiment pains me more than any of my scars.

Again, I muse to no one but myself.

My courage is in short supply.

 

But with you, I feel hope.

And hope is the most dangerous drug of all.

 

© 2008 Elizabeth


Author's Note

Elizabeth
It needs a better title... ideas?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i think this is a dark & beautiful piece. "always there will be nothingness, endless nothingness" the feeling of your utter despair & loneliness perfectly captured. the ending is brilliant as hope is a potent drug. as far as the title, its sounds fine to me but i think u could make it a little more intriguing by twisting it around maybe adding hope such as 'hope is the most dangerous drug' or something like that. well written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The lines "The moon blinks and the stars taunt while dogs bark in the distance. Practicality is tiring and fantasy unsatisfying." are very striking. This is a wonderful evocation of the magnetic turmoil of emotions at work within the soul, catalysts for one another's poles of + and - ... Hope, indeed, is a dangerous drug - one that feeds both poles of the positive and negative at the same time. And they pull against one another perpetually as we consider the highs and lows of possibility and potential outcomes. But sometimes having some hope is better than having none at all.. the only problem is that it comes at a price.
Anyway, very intelligent and human piece of work which I'm sure speaks to many.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think hope the greatest of all our fears Yet I love this piece

Posted 13 Years Ago


Practicality is tiring and fantasy unsatisfying.
Always there will be this nothingness.

Endless nothingness.

Reason has stranded me in this place, today.

Someday is a time that will not come soon enough.
But with you, I feel hope.

And hope is the most dangerous drug of all.

I am the biggest hope addict in the world, in fact I'm the founder of Hopes Anonymous :)

These words are very special to me, thank you for sharing them with us.
Antonio xx



Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a profound piece of writing
that I am having trouble creating an
intelligent review.

You have pushed all the buttons and
have all of your readers on the verge of
tears. There is nothing more that a writer
can do than this. You rock !

Rated-----100%

------ Eagle Cruagh

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent penning I liked this poem, well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Woh, now that was really powerful! I, too, agree that hope is a potent drug, because you can only pray and wish so much, and when things are bad, i mean really bad; it's just very hard to keep that kind of hope alive in the soul. We try our best tho. And hope is, indeed, a pusher just like any drug, but we can only take so many beatings in life before we collapse. I guess we should just hope for the best in life, and hope things will be alright in the future, i guess hehe. Very awesome work!! Very thought-provoking. And i agree with SuicidalTendencys about the title, too: 'Hope: The Most Dangerous Drug.'

B.A.

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JRB
Hope is a drug that's needed, and it not taken daily it's withdraw is painful at best, nice work,
Jan/Uisiom


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aaahh...for some reason this brought me back to high school and to that song by Alanis Morrisette, "Jagged Little Pill"...LOL...not sure exactly why, and I'm dating myself here, but... Anyway, hope is one of the most dangerous drugs, as it can easily turn to expectation, and that's what sets us up for the biggest fall in my opinion. I can remember many times where I allowed myself to hope and eventually I began believing that what I hoped for would undoubtedly come to pass, and when it wasn't so, I felt the cruelest sting of all. Anyway...enough of my commentary...LOL

As for the piece, you have some great imagery and great "free verse" writing...I like the "modern" feel to your verse. One thing that I might do is take out the end of line punctuation...it's tough, as a reader, to endure all of those "periods", as it sort of breaks the flow of the piece just a little bit by causing us to ponder each line sepearately without enjoying the collective. This is something that one of my professors in college actually told me, that punctuation in poetry should be used VERY sparingly...and "when in doubt, leave it out"...LOL...I still remember that to this day. Anyway, just something I noticed, a little extra way to polish your piece up a little bit, but overall, I really enjoyed the read. Nicely done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very nice....I remember a line from the Shawshank Redemption....'hope will drive a man crazy'. This may help in your title search.

I liked how you expressed such pain. I have been there and know it well...and you described it perfectly.

Great work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sounds like a bittersweet way to enjoy a smoke while sitting out on the porch under the shroud of the moon's beauty. =) I like the third line the best, and I think it's the most fitting sentiment in the poem. And I think you should leave the title as it is. It sounds fine to me.

I'll light up and enjoy a smoke to this one. =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

822 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 2, 2008
Last Updated on October 2, 2008

Author

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Wonderland, TN



About
I am Alice through the looking glass...I mix my metaphors with barbiturates. I take my mania with a glass of milk and I rarely look before crossing the street. Walk a mile in my mary janes, friend. .. more..

Writing
Bones Bones

A Poem by Elizabeth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..