First aid

First aid

A Story by beyondpen
"

About a thought triggered when i came to know about a program on NatGeo called 'Be Emergency Ready'. Irrfan Khan hosts it (Paan Singh Tomar fame)

"
Why First-aid: because emergency in any form, can strike anyone, anytime? Correct.

From the above question and its commonly known answer, it seems we all, at some level, understand why we need the knowledge of first-aid. The reason we don’t make efforts to gain it is because no one made us understand the correct and complete answers to the rest of the questions. Let me tell you what I am talking about.

So, what is first-aid? Well, it is the knowledge and its implementation about what to do when a dear one or any stranger is injured or an illness befalls suddenly and there is still time for the professional help to arrive. Right, but is it just about what to do?

What does first-aid do? It promotes recovery and preserves life. Just that?

Who is it for? For the person who is stricken with an emergency. For that person only?

It is the answers to these questions that I thought I knew before my emergency made me realize how little I really knew about First-aid. I am going to try answering them now.

What is First aid- Of course it is the knowledge and implementation of primary care which is essential for an injured or an ill person. But what we ignore here, is in fact the most important aspect of first-aid, which is the understanding about what NOT to do. This is because more harm is caused by Doing something wrong than by Not Doing anything.

What does first-aid do- Apart from promoting recovery and preserving life, what it does is reassure, in the form of the person who is providing the first-aid, that the patient is going to be fine. This reassurance will automatically be reflected in the firstaider’s knowledge about all elements of first-aid. (about what to do as well as what Not to do).

Who is it for- Trust me, it is for Everyone. I agree, in all humility, that it is after all a skill and requires specialized training (for example, there is a specialized First-aid training for nurses, hospital staff and ambulance staff). But all of us can surely and easily understand the simpler things required to be ready for an emergency befalling a known or an unknown person.

I would love to be wrong but I worry that a lot of us, especially in India, don't even realize the importance of knowing first aid... No?

© 2013 beyondpen


Author's Note

beyondpen
While you are still pondering over the question (I hope you are), you might wanna visit this link and read the post about a Book on 'GENERAL KNOWLEDGE of FIRST-AID' : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyondpen/506476466065274

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Alright, this made me stop and think. I will be honest, we had a six weeks first aid and CPR course my third year in high school. Except for the CPR, I don't remember much of it anymore. I am thinking in my case a refresher course is in order.

This is a very thoughtful and well written piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
beyondpen

10 Years Ago

Thanks Rogue! Here in India we don't have such trainings in every school. Good for you that you had .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 10, 2013
Last Updated on July 10, 2013

Author

beyondpen
beyondpen

India



About
I love to write... mostly stories, in either poetry or prose... At times i think i m more lucid writing than even speaking :) only at times ... more..

Writing