Goodnight

Goodnight

A Story by bisskat
"

Calling to you.

"

Steal a fleeting glance through the windowpane, all that acts as a barrier between you and the hungry tendrils of the night.

            You sit. Beside you, a fire flickers, casting a ruddy light that steeps your cheekbones in velvet shadow. In front of you, is a bookshelf - filled with novels in all shapes and sizes, radiant covers melting to monochrome as the sun bleeds away.

            Your eyes, without your permission, dart in their sockets - catching an owl swoop by your window. Elegant, bruise-purple sky is visible only through the stark ink of the tree-branches, that are twitching, twitching like the fire-shadows dancing around you. Clouds murmur in to occlude the naked moon in all its glory, strings of cream swelling to fat blooming flowers of white, ever-moving, inexorable.

            You wonder. That flash of crimson - a russet fox, slinking? That hint of movement in the leaves - a bird, slumbering, shifting? And that gleam of gold - a white wolf, grinning? You don't know.

            The window is open, a tantalising scent of freedom streaming through the gap like a nocuous gas - engulfing you, wrapping you, consuming you. Pervasive, it is everywhere around you all at once, endless.

            Your feet hit the ground with a crunch as branches snap, leaves crumple, insects burst. Your curtains snap, somewhere high above you - and then the night has reclaimed you.

© 2016 bisskat


Author's Note

bisskat
Just a description piece for fun! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on January 4, 2016
Last Updated on January 4, 2016
Tags: aesthetic, night, sleep, description, stars, moon, trees, nature

Author

bisskat
bisskat

South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom



About
Hello there, fellow writers! I'm just a person with a desire to be an author some time in the future. I'm inspired largely by the fantasy genre, with a fierce love for a Song of Ice and Fire as wel.. more..

Writing
Night Sounds Night Sounds

A Poem by bisskat


Forgotten Forgotten

A Story by bisskat