Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Blindfolded

Blindfolded

A Poem by Belle

When a vow is made, it becomes truth

Whatever may happen it must be fulfilled.

When she learned his affinity to blindness

She decided that she should not

Be superior to him;

If he could not see the world

She, too, should not see its wonder.

She covered her eyes with Gandhari’s cloth,

Joined him in his darkness;

Together, they shared their breath

Beyond eternal bondage.

© 2014 Belle


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I remember reading this story, once. There's so much beauty in the decision of Gandhari to blind herself, so that her husband wouldn't be alone in his pain.
It takes a certain amount of bravery to sacrifice something like that - but I suppose that's what faith and love is all about. Well penned, indeed.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Belle

10 Years Ago

One of the many intentions why I put the subject into poetry is that I want the reader(s) to explore.. read more
KAin

10 Years Ago

The value of it is measured in the difference between loss and sacrifice. I've heard it put once tha.. read more



Reviews

~~ Vows`re always meant to be wrecking hearts & the truth simply gives some sympathy to accept ~~ what? The Affinity of blindness! ~~ Very thought-invoking piece.

"(I find some Art ~~ An ancient art in your pieces. Me too much fond of Arts which`s why I always love reading your stuffs)"

Posted 9 Years Ago


I think that this would be so much better if you've written this in first-person. The power is there, but it was filtered because it wasn't direct.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Belle

9 Years Ago

I understood what you mean, Nicolo. Almost all my poem were written in a first-person speaker for th.. read more
looking at this again, i see similarities to oedipus rex and iocaste...the darkness, the seeing of what transpired, and then the blindness...together in tragedy.

this poem is so good...and that is evidenced by a reader being able to come back to same poem and find other meanings seep from its lines.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Real love, or forced love can both be blind ....
Chosen, or in denial. Thought provoking piece here ....

I think with that, I've said all :) thanks for sharing this one Belle.

- Elisa

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is pure love in true humility. This is beyond mere vows and sacrificial . Its love divine! It reminds me of what Christ did for us. " Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

Likewise with the love of the women in this piece . She would rather share with her mate's darkness than live ALONE by herself in the light . A true epitome of unselfish love looking for the best and greatest interest of others . You portrayed love in your piece at its highest and deepest level. To fathom it Belle defies logic and reasoning. Who would love something like this. Who would care and sacrifice something like this ? If our better half became invalid most likely the relationship is over. I have seen it in a real world . There are more bigger and better fish swimming in the ocean so why deprive herself ? Yet shes a rare beauty.

I like the way you end your piece here . " Beyond eternal bondage " .
Should I interpret it like this ~ Beyond perpetual darkness .
Love will always win and triumph no matter what and its light and beauty cannot be contained nor handicap by the absence of light. In this dark abyss, a world they both shared and lived . Love shined the brightest.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sharing is giving and sacrificing is giving up something for another noble thing but with immense rewards for all. Putting others before us in love or humanity is relflective of the laws of gain and loss . Truth is always gainworthy and sacrificing is always praiseworthy...Thank you for sharing this wonder...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Interesting.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand it seems like a powerful statement of love that would could handicap themselves so as to not be better than their mate. Yet on the other it does seem rather foolish and unnecessary. Why would one do such a thing when you could instead help that person, shoring up their weakness with your strength?

Hmm...

Thought provoking.

-Cara

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dye
What a powerfully penned statement in this poem. Even if you removed the Gandhari reference you can feel the self sacrifice made. Some would argue that this was a testament to love and to share in the pain and some would argue the foolishness, to sacrifice so much for someone else. Nicely penned.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Another work inspired by Mahabharata. Submission and empathy- that's what Gandhari showed to her husband Prince Dhritarashtra. She felt she couldn't enjoy things that were denied to her husband..so she must join him in his pain.

Indeed when you have chosen someone to be your partner in life, you must bear in your heart and mind that you have that vow to be with him/her "in sickness and in health...in richness and poorness...until death".

In case of Gandhari, it's a sacrifice on her part because she doesn't want to be superior to him. Literally speaking, it is so moving, enough for her to be hailed as "sati" for such sacrifice. But in reality, when one's partner has a defect, should the other fulfill the things cannot be done by the former for their welfare? Instead of making oneself blind, why not become the "eyes" of the partner who cannot see?

Well, this is just my opinion, Ms. Belle. My stand is still to help my partner stand up and not to voluntarily fall when he's already on the ground. I think this is also a good subject for debate in an English class. But I'm not fond of debate anymore. LOL.

I commend you for making this splendid piece, Ms. Belle. Keep it up!



Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

610 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 10, 2013
Last Updated on January 10, 2014

Author

Belle
Belle

About
Live Traffic Stats more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Belle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


wounds of my past wounds of my past

A Chapter by Pax