ONE

ONE

A Chapter by Maddox

"What is it Hielo?" she called to the dog scampering ahead. His short stub of a tail, usually wagging, was frozen. His pointed face was sniffing the cold, crisp air. His triangular ears were poised, waiting. Picking up on the slow rustling sound, she crouched low. Fingering the pistol tucked into her boot. The chilling, dragging sound was getting closer. Moving quickly, she ducked behind an abandoned old car.  She pulled the gun out of her boot and checked her pocket for extra bullets. Standing up slightly, she raised herself slowly over the edge of the trunk of the car. 
Slowly making its way towards her, was a returned. His skin hung like loose clothing. His actual clothing hung in bloodied rags. Empty eye sockets glared out at her, demanding something. Goo oozed from a dismembered limb, bleeding out onto the ground. 
Holding back her nausea, she took a shaky breath and stood up. Sensing its prey, the beast lunged forward. It didn't move fast but it was nonetheless, intimidating. Instinctively she took a step backwards, shaking her head she raised the gun and aimed. Gone. The returned fell backwards landing with a thud on the ground, a round hole in the middle of his forehead. Shaking herself she climbed over the trunk and cautiously moved towards the body. Outside arms reach, she lowered the gun down to the thing's head and shot again. Satisfied that the thing was dead, she turned her back and walked back towards the car. She checked the ignition for keys and came up empty. Groaning she kept walking. 
Her feet were sore from walking so long. Occasionally she could find a car with keys still in it but today was not her lucky day. Hielo trotted by her side down the abandoned highway. Cars were strewn everywhere but she wasn't going to check every single one. That would take hours, not that she was going to be late for anything, she just didn't want to run into anything. 
Zoned out she didn't here the loud roaring sound coming from behind her. It wasn't until the first shot that she realized that there was somebody behind her. Ducking, she spun. A boy was leaning out the passenger side window, aiming a long two barrel shot gun at her. Scrambling for cover she dived behind a flipped over Honda. She pulled the gun out of her boot and rested it against her arm, taking aim. As the thunderous Suburban barreled past she took her shot. And hit her target. The vehicle veered off the road and stopped. She had hit the front right tire, blowing it out and sending the vehicle off course. 
Loud, outraged cursing followed. Taking a chance, she crawled past the flipped car, away from the downed Suburban. She slid into a relatively new red dodge ram. Maybe her luck was still in check. She grabbed the keys from the floorboard and revved the engine. She looked at the suburban again. A boy and a girl about her age got out of the truck. They each carried their own guns, aimed at her. Swallowing her anxiety she ducked her head and spun the car around. Accidently she ran over the returned she had just shot, it's decayed legs, twisting around. 
She could hear it as their bullets dented the back of the truck. Keeping her head down, she kept driving until she got out of range. Looking out the rearview mirror, she watched the boy angrily throw his gun down in a cloud of dust and stomp away. Stifling a giggle she kept her head low and continued driving. she didn't know where she was going but as long as she was away from those two. Even if people didn't return, they could go insane even fully human. People could do that before the return to, but now they had guns. 


© 2012 Maddox


Author's Note

Maddox
okay so in the prologue it was in first person and in the chapters it is in 3rd. I did this on purpose. The prologue is supposed to be like a letter, like the ones she says she writes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nah doesnt matter if you switch point of views...I mean, who would mind? I like how you switched anyway. Creativity :3

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hmmm, very interesting. The only problem is... where's chapter two?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 26, 2011
Last Updated on January 3, 2012


Author

Maddox
Maddox

Columbus, OH



About
Writing is one of the most important things in my life. It's a release. The way I think can't easily be explained to most people. I think in pictures, stories, and patterns. Writing stories is a way t.. more..

Writing
-Intro- -Intro-

A Chapter by Maddox


Chapter ONE Chapter ONE

A Chapter by Maddox