The Launch

The Launch

A Chapter by Maddox

“Gruuugh,” Aaron groaned as the radio blasted on. Smacking the alarm off, she jumped in the shower and repacked what she used. Her hair hung in a damp blanket down her back. She picked up the sundress she’d put across the bed. It was a deep scarlet red, strapless dress that hung just above her knees. Aaron slipped the dress over her head and checked it in the mirror. When everything was good, she made two trips up the stairs to her car and loaded everything into the wide trunk. She locked the basement door and slipped out the front door.

       Goosebumps rose on Aaron’s arms in the early morning chill. She shivered, raised the top and blasted the heat. Aaron drove slowly to Bethany’s house, taking her time around the turns and the empty back streets. When she pulled onto Bethany’s street there were cars crowding her friend’s house. She parked on the street, jumped out and headed inside. Gently she pushed open the front door, and climbed the stairs to the attic bedroom.

       “Hey!” Bethany said, jumping off her bed. Aaron smiled and grabbed the handle of one of her suitcases, dragging it downstairs to the car. “Are you excited?”

       “Yeah. We have to go down on campus and pick up my brother and his friend.”

       “Why?”

       “Because James got upset because we’re going to be away for my birthday so I asked him to come with us. And then he invited his friend, I’m not sure why,” Aaron explained.

       “I see. I mean that’s okay. I like your brother, he’s a fun time.” Bethany helped stuff her bags in the trunk and slid into the passenger seat, ignoring the raised eyebrow look from Aaron. She reached out, punching Aaron lightly in the arm. “You know what I meant.” Aaron laughed and started the car.

       “Yeah, because you never had a crush on my brother,” Aaron said.

       “Hey! That was in the 6th grade and it’s not like I do anymore,” Bethany argued. Aaron shook her head laughing.

       “So tell me about this friend that is coming with us.”

       “He’s my brother’s roommate.”

       “Is he cute?” Bethany asked. Aaron thought about it for a second.

       “Yes,” she decided. “He is almost as tall as James and he has black hair.”

       “Is he muscular?”

       “Totally,” Aaron laughed. “He hugged me and it was like so awesome.” Aaron sighed, recalling the experience.

       “Unfair!” Bethany giggled. “How old is he?”

       “I think he is the same age as James. I’m not sure.”

       “Don’t you think that’s a little too old?” Bethany asked.

       “I never said I was going to date him. And no I don’t think that’s too old. Beth we are Juniors! I mean that is only like 4 years older.”

       “I just feel like that would be like dating your brother.” She reasoned.

       “You wanted to,” Aaron laughed.

       “In sixth grade!”

       “He was still 4 years older than you!” Aaron was laughing hard as she parked the car in front of her brother’s dorm building. “Just wait here.” She jumped out of the car and headed up to the room.

       Her knuckles rapped against the door, the sound seemed louder at 6:30 in the morning. The door slowly swung in, revealing a sleepy, shirtless Jace. His black hair was ruffled, piled on top of his head. She stared at him, just now noticing his green eyes which were bright, despite being tired.

       “Oh hey kiddo,” called James from inside the room. Jace just stood in the doorway, staring at her.

       “Hey, are you guys ready?” she asked.

       “Yeah, can you help? Grab those bags over there,” he said pointing across the room at a duffel bag and a large suitcase on Jace’s bed. She moved through the doorway and slung the bag across her shoulder.

       “It’s okay. I can get it,” Jace sputtered moving across the room.

       “Don’t believe him. He hurt his shoulder the other day playing football with me and some of the guys,” James laughed. He had his own bag slung across his chest and another in his hand. Aaron smiled and turned around to look at Jace.

       “Don’t tell me you guys were playing tackle without guards,” she groaned. Jace ducked his head, embarrassed. Aaron shook her head and watched as he started pulling on clothes over his plaid boxers. When he was dressed, the group shuffled to the elevators, Jace locking the room behind them.

       “You really don’t have to carry that for me,” Jace sighed, fingering the strap on her shoulder. Aaron turned to look at him, resisting the urge to melt against his warm hands.

       “It’s okay, I got it,” she sighed as the elevator doors opened. She walked outside and headed towards the car in front of both boys. Behind Bethany’s dark sunglasses, she knew her friend was checking out Jace. Aaron smiled and popped the trunk. There was little room left in the trunk, though they were able to fit both of Jace’s bags and one of James’s suitcases. The last bag was shoved in the floorboards underneath James’s legs. Once everybody was situated in the car, Aaron pulled away from the college, and started cursing.

       “What happened?” James asked from behind her.

       “I forgot to look up the directions to the hotel in Maine,” she groaned.

       “Well we can just head back to the house, can’t we?” James asked. Aaron nodded and sped down the street towards home. It took 20 minutes to get there, traffic already starting to build. Pulling into the driveway, their mom’s car was already gone. They all followed her inside, and downstairs to her bedroom. Within 5 minutes she had the directions pulled up on her laptop.

       “I like your room,” Jace said, spinning around. Aaron laughed and glanced up at her room. The walls were painted a bright, neon orange. Posters on the wall were dedicated to several different hockey teams and one to her favorite band. Her favorite part was the bed. At each of the four corners were strong, reinforced metal poles disguised behind fuzzy orange cloth. All together the four bars lifted her bed off the ground and hinges on the ceiling and where they attached on her bed allowed it to swing. The wood floor had several fluffy orange and yellow rugs, and three different bookcases filled with books.

       “Me too,” she laughed.

       “Hey James,” Bethany said suddenly, “can you show me where I can get a drink? I’m thirsty.” James nodded his head and led her upstairs. Aaron refrained from shaking her head, she knew what her friend was doing.

       “Does the bed swing?” Jace asked, oblivious to Bethany’s disappearance.

       “Yeah it does, go sit on it.” And he did, quickly he crossed the room and sat down on the edge of her bed. Aaron smiled and watched him test swinging around. She got up from her computer and went to sit next to him. Their arms barely touched each other as they sat next to each other on her swinging bed.

       “Did you do this?” he asked.

       “Yeah. James helped out though.” She laid back on the bed, causing it to swing back and forth. He twisted around in his spot and stared at her.

       “What?” she asked, sitting up.

       “Nothing, nothing,” he assured her, laughing. She shook her hair over her shoulder, creating a veil between them. He reached up, brushing her hair behind her ear. Blushing she stood up, walking back to her computer. She printed out the directions and ran upstairs to get them. James was making his way down the stairs as she ran past him.

              “So?” Bethany asked. “What happened?”

       “Nothing,” Aaron lied. “Nothing happened. I can’t believe you left me down there with him! What did you think would happen? He’s my brother’s friend.” She smacked her hand down on the counter. Bethany just watched her, amused.

       “I think you like him,” Bethany laughed. Aaron shook her head and snatched the papers from her printer.

       “I don’t.”

       “You said he hugged you,” Bethany said, staring at her friend.

       “He did. I said he could come to Maine with us. That was the first time I’d ever met him! I don’t even know him Beth.”

       “That is what Maine is for.”

       “No Maine is for a vacation,” Aaron argued. “Nothing is going to happen in Maine with him. He is 4 years older than me!”

       “So what?” Bethany countered. “If you really like him then age doesn’t matter.”

       “But I don’t really like him.”

       “Right whatever. I don’t believe you.”

       “I don’t even know him,” Aaron growled, exasperated. “I’m not going to date a guy that I don’t even know! Why are you so eager to make this happen?”

       “Aaron do you realize that the only guy you’ve date was some idiot our freshman year!?! You don’t date anybody. You are stone cold and even cruel when a guy starts trying to get close to you. But,” she slowed, “you at least seem to be nice to Jace which is a start. I just want you to be happy with somebody.”

       “Because being happy without somebody is enough?” Aaron asked.

       “No I just wish you would try. You don’t even try to get close with anybody. You are beautiful. Shut up,” she said, seeing Aaron starting to argue. “You are, and all the guys notice you. Do you ever wonder why the guy you did date your freshman year was a senior?”

       “Why does that matter?”

       “Because that is sort of a big deal. I mean there aren’t very many freshmen- senior couples at our school. Besides the fact that he was a total jerk, you were happy when you were with him.” Aaron shook her head, heading back down the stairs. James and Jace were sitting next to each other on her bed, heads bent into each other, talking. 



© 2012 Maddox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on June 16, 2012
Last Updated on June 16, 2012


Author

Maddox
Maddox

Columbus, OH



About
Writing is one of the most important things in my life. It's a release. The way I think can't easily be explained to most people. I think in pictures, stories, and patterns. Writing stories is a way t.. more..

Writing
-Intro- -Intro-

A Chapter by Maddox


Chapter ONE Chapter ONE

A Chapter by Maddox