Time to Go

Time to Go

A Chapter by Maddox

Jace watched Aaron run up the stairs, away from him. James made his way past her and stopped in front of him.

       “What did you do to her?” James asked, confused.

       “Nothing. We were talking and she just flipped out,” he sighed. “I mean her hair fell in front of her face and, I mean it was just instinct, I pushed the hair behind her ear.”

       “Don’t feel bad,” James sighed, sitting next to him. “Aaron has always been a little strange about guys.” He laughed as his friend’s confused expression.

       “Does she not like-“

       “No, no,” James assured him. “She isn’t, um, like that,” he said awkwardly. This was always a tough subject for him to talk about, it made him feel awkward.

       “She just, has never been like other girls. Not actively trying to impress anybody.”

       “Has she ever had a boyfriend?” Jace asked honestly.

       “Yeah she did, once. Her freshman year she was asked out by a football player,” James shook his head. “He was a senior. We all thought he was a great guy.”

       “He wasn’t?”

       “He put on a good face but he wasn’t good enough.”

       “What did he do?”

       “He hit her, hard. It was over the line,” James clenched his fist. Jace shook his head, understanding James’s frustration. “But he got what he deserves. Aaron kicked his a*s. He crawled away crying.”

       “Maybe that’s why she isn’t like other girls,” Jace reasoned.

       “No. She never was,” James laughed.

       “Do you think I have a chance?”

       “Dude! She’s my sister.” Jace shook his head, ashamed.

       “I know, I-“

       “Whether you have a chance or not,” James smiled, “I will have no part in your efforts to pursue my sister.” Jace nodded his head and glanced up to see Bethany and Aaron making their way down the stairs.

       “We’re ready to go,” Aaron said, holding up a bunch of papers. “I have directions. Are you guys ready to go?”

       “Yep, we’re good,” James said, standing up. Jace followed them upstairs and back to the car. “Hey Beth, would you sit back here with me? We need to talk.” Aaron watched her friend’s face light up as she switched seats with Jace without hesitation. She could feel Jace slide into the seat next to her, the heat radiating off him was stunning. Smiling to herself, she reached across him and pulled out her Aviators. She could feel Jace’s eyes on her face as she slid the glasses on, fingers brushing gently across the bruise on her cheekbone. She’d nearly forgotten it was there.

       Jace reached forward and smacked the radio button, sending blasting noise into the car. Everybody yelled and started singing along to the song that filled the empty space. Aaron laughed and held the directions up to her face, studying them.

       “You are my map man,” she said, shoving the directions in Jace’s hands.

       “Alright,” he laughed. “Do you know where you’re going first?”

       “Yeah, onto 315 south right?”

       “Yeah, and then you get off on 270 East towards Cleveland,” he read.

       “Okay, okay,” she sighed. “Let me know when we get closer.” They pulled out of the driveway and turned off down the street.

       “Aaron!” Bethany whined. “It’s getting too warm in here, can you please put the top down?” Aaron laughed, smacking a serious of buttons, shutting off the heat and lowering the top. She pulled away from the side of the road, listening to the rush of air over her head.  

       “I’ve been to Maine once,” Jace sighed, staring out the window. Trees flew past the windows in a hazy green blur. “My aunt lives there. It’s kind of far away isn’t it?”

       “Yeah, I think we may end up renting a hotel on the way if we don’t get to far today,” Aaron smiled. “It depends on how far we get.” Jace nodded and turned back to the window, watching the passing cars. From the corner of her eye, Aaron could see Jace’s black hair getting whipped back in the wind. A part of her wanted to reach out a smooth down the back that was sticking straight out against the headrest. 



© 2012 Maddox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I just realized they're driving from Ohio to Maine, soo far away. xD

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
1 Review
Added on June 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 23, 2012


Author

Maddox
Maddox

Columbus, OH



About
Writing is one of the most important things in my life. It's a release. The way I think can't easily be explained to most people. I think in pictures, stories, and patterns. Writing stories is a way t.. more..

Writing
-Intro- -Intro-

A Chapter by Maddox


Chapter ONE Chapter ONE

A Chapter by Maddox