The Journeyman

The Journeyman

A Story by Gary Brady
"

A young Touring Professional golfer has his eyes opened by a driving range Pro and begins to believe just how good he really is.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Journeyman

 

 

 

 

By Gary Brady.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ARCHIE

 

My ball was sitting down in the rough on the left of the fifteenth hole. I needed to pick up one shot on the way in to make the cut and had short sided myself. 

“Bollocks!” I exclaimed as Archie reached me. “My best chance of birdie on the way in and my ball’s buried.”

“153 front and 174 pin. Come on Dan. Middle of the green and let’s get out of this hole. The number could still move up with the weather.”

It had started to rain heavier and I was in no mood to chop it onto the middle of the green. I held out my hand. “Give me the six.”

Archie knew what I was going to do. “A seven is good, Dan.” He was almost pleading.

“I won’t carry that bunker with a seven.” I told him, staring straight ahead.

“That rough’s thick and wet Dan. It could wrap around the hosel and turn it over on you; left of the green is bogie.”

“Just give me the f*****g six!” 

Archie handed me the six. He was right of course. He knew I’d pull the approach like I did the tee shot and just about every other shot on the back nine since the rain had started. I hit the six and not only did I pull it anyway but the grass did wrap around the hosel and I missed the green way left, made double bogie and missed the cut comfortably. I had lost my head again.

 Archie had watched me self-destruct for the umpteenth time in the year he had carried my bag and unsurprisingly he was getting fed up. Once I had signed my card we had words.

‘I don’t need this right now Archie!’

‘You just don't seem to be there anymore Danny. I can’t do it on my own. Justin Parsons has offered me his bag.’

‘All right then, piss off! I’ll carry my own bag.’

 

I knew that something had to change. I no longer had a caddie, I had another weekend off, my confidence was in the toilet and I was short of cash. I had lost my last sponsor earlier in the year and was living off money I won in local tournaments. 

At least I didn’t have a house or family to support as I was staying at my brother’s house when I wasn’t travelling. I always seemed to be chasing that big cheque I needed but this year I was finding it tougher than ever.

 

 

BILL

I had found a decent game on a local circuit and was nicely placed in the final round. The money on offer would mean I could straighten up some bills.

I was paired with an old boy from a local driving range who had a swing all of his own but who didn’t miss much, he was one shot behind me and I was one behind the leader, an ex Tour Pro who had comfortably missed his card at the qualifying school for the year and was just picking up invites and cheques where he could. I felt sorry for him. He was married and had responsibilities.

‘I thought you Tour boys were ruthless?’

I turned to the old boy, ‘I beg your pardon?’

‘I overheard you talking to him on the last tee; I thought you guys were taught to win at all costs?’

‘If I was taught that I wouldn’t be here taking your money.’

‘Who said anything about taking my money?’

‘I do this for a living.’ I smiled.

‘Obviously not very well or you wouldn’t be here trying to take my money.’

‘Now it’s your money?’

The old boy moved closer to me. 

‘He has bills to pay so he’ll tighten up, I could see it in his swing when he pulled it left at that par three.’

‘What about me? I birdied that par three.’

He didn’t reply but collected a club from his bag and hit it straight down the fairway again. ‘You’ll finish second.’ 

He was right. I missed a five-foot putt on the final green to tie him, he won the £1500, I picked up £750 and the married man had four bogies in the final five holes to drift away and collect pocket money.

Bill and I chatted over a couple of drinks in the bar,

‘So Bill, did you ever try for the Tour?’

‘With my swing, you’ve got to be kidding. I became a pro to teach kids to play golf.’

‘That’s very noble.’

‘What about you, have you won anything yet?’

‘Not on Tour, I was in contention once but lately it’s been tough enough for me just to make the weekend.’

‘What happened when you had a chance to win?’

‘I didn’t say I had a chance to win; I was only two shots off the lead going into the final round but I shot 80 and broke all my clubs.’

‘That must have felt good?’

‘Actually the T.V picked up on it, my club sponsor sacked me and it cost me more than the cheque I picked up.’

Bill laughed as he stood up.

‘Before I go Daniel, can I give you some advice?’

I nodded. “Please, go ahead.”

“There are over two hundred plus guys like you out there. Some have been out there longer and have more experience; some will have a better game than even your best game on any given week and some are plain just better than you no matter what you do. The key is to be as good as you can be all the time and hope that one week, please God, its good enough.”

‘I know that, the problem is playing as well as I can play all the time.’

Bill smiled a knowing smile. “The other two hundred guys would give me the same answer. You should remember that.” 

Bill shook my hand, “Keep in touch Danny, and for goodness sake trust yourself, you’re better than you think you are.”

I promised to visit Bill next time I was in the area and our conversation played on my mind as I drove home.

 

LOCAL CADDIE

 

The following week I had to make do with a local caddie.

The first round went well. My swing felt good and I birdied the tough par four finishing hole to card a three under par 69 but by the end of the day I reckoned I'd have to break par again the following day to make the cut. 

A loose opening tee shot in the second round cost me a stupid double bogie six but I still felt I was swinging well and was determined to keep my head on.

I was lucky that the local caddie knew the greens inside out and kept me in the game as it took me another four holes to settle my game down. I birdied the par five sixth to get back to two under, one ahead of the cut mark, and I was confident that if I could put the ball on the green my caddie would give me the reads and we could go deep.

I shook hands on the eighteenth with a smile on my face. I had shot 68 and was definitely there for the weekend, I was even on the T.V when I had three birdies in a row on the back nine.

The weekend wasn’t as good because I shot 71-75 to drift away.

 

TIGER WOODS

 

As I wasn’t qualified for the following week I decided to visit Bill.  

‘Did you pick up the money this week Bill?’

‘Hey! How are you doing son? I saw you on the T.V. Shame about the tightness in them shoulders at the weekend though.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘It’s a pity that caddie doesn’t know all the courses, he could get you out of a lot of trouble.’

‘I had a good week putting, usually I don’t putt that well.’

‘Your putting is fine you aren’t used to trusting your reads.’

I sat down. ‘I came to thank you for what you said last week, I think it helped me.’

Bill made me a cup of tea and we chatted.

‘How far do you normally hit your driver?’

‘I’m not that long Bill you know that.’

‘Give me a figure.’

‘280 possibly 310 if I open my shoulders.’

‘What about your three wood?’

‘Between 240 and 260.’

‘How many par fours do you play on Tour that are over five hundred yards?’

‘Not many.’

‘So you can reach every par four without opening your shoulders as you say.’

I nodded smiling.

‘What’s so funny?’

‘You know that it’s not as easy as that.’

‘Why not?’

‘It may be a dogleg so you can’t hit driver from the tee, there may be water, or it may be tight.’

‘Then again not every par four is over 450 yards.’

‘Granted but it’s not as easy as popping it onto the fairway then popping it onto the green.’

‘Why not?’

‘For a start you have to hit the fairway, and then you have to hit the green.’

‘The best isn’t the best because he’s the longest, he’s the best because he’s the straightest and he’s long which is a fine combination but if I had to choose I’d choose straight and work on my short game. I’d much prefer to have to get up and down from just in front of a green than to hack it 190 yards from behind a tree.’

‘Obviously, but you know that if that were the case golf would be an easy game.’

‘If it was easy they wouldn’t pay you to play it. The difficult bit is doing the easy bit all the time.’

‘You really should consider psychology Bill.’

‘As a job or as a patient?’

‘How much would it cost me for you to watch me hitting a few balls and give me your opinion?’

‘Don’t be silly Daniel you’re a Tour player and I’m a driving range Pro, what could I possibly teach you?’

‘You could show me how you beat me.’

Bill stood up. ‘Now that I can do.’

Bill and I collected a basket of balls and made our way to his teaching bay. I swung one of Bills’ demo irons a few times to warm up then addressed the ball. ‘Anything you want me to do Bill.’

‘You could hit the ball.’

‘I mean is there anything you can see wrong with my set-up?’

Bill leaned forward. ‘Can you see the ball okay?’

I nodded.

‘You’re not going to fling the club out on the range?’

‘I hope not.’

Bill sat back. ‘Looks fine to me then.’

I didn’t know whether Bill was being funny or really didn’t care so I hit the ball.

‘I thought you said you weren’t long!’

I laughed. ‘I caught it sweet.’

‘Where were you aiming?’

I shrugged my shoulders. ‘Nowhere in particular, I just hit the ball.’

Bill stood up. ‘There’s your problem Daniel, you aren’t bothering to take aim.’

‘Now hang on Bill. When I’m playing for real I stand behind the ball and visualize the shot and all that crap.’

‘So why didn’t you do it then?’

‘I was just swinging the club.’

‘How do you expect to repeat the same swing every time if you do things differently every time?’

‘But I don’t.’

‘I didn’t see you visualize that shot.’

‘Okay Bill what do you want me to aim at?’

Bill pointed at a green with a flag on it about 150yards out on the range.

‘Reckon you could hit that with that eight iron?’

I smiled. ‘In my sleep.’

I stood behind the ball and visualized the shot, I wanted to stick the ball next to the pin. It was a smallish green as they usually are on driving ranges but I had plenty of club, I had just hit it over 160 the time before. I walked forward to the ball.

‘I can get you a seven if you’re not happy with the club.’

‘The club is fine Bill.’

‘Sorry it seemed like you were taking a long time to hit a green 150 yards away.’

‘I’m visualizing my shot.’

‘What’s to visualize? Just knock it on the green.’

‘I intend to.’

I placed the club behind the ball and was ready to swing when Bill interrupted. I stopped. 

‘I bet you five hundred pounds you miss.’ He said.

I smiled. ‘Okay Bill, I’ll take your money.’

I addressed the ball again and Bill interrupted again. ‘Of course if you do miss you owe me five hundred.’

I stopped. ‘That’s an awful lot of money to hang on one shot Bill. Can you afford it?’

‘The question is, can you?’

‘I may not be the best but I am a Tour Pro Bill, it’s like asking a plumber to fix a tap.’

‘You don’t know much about plumbers then Daniel.’

I addressed the ball, made a good back swing and it went long and left.

My head dropped.

‘I thought you said you visualized every shot and all that crap?’

I shook my head. ‘I did. About half an hour ago.’

‘What have I learned here Bill?

‘You’ve learned that you owe me five hundred quid.’ He stood up and walked into the shop. 

I gave myself some time to recover my pride then followed him. He was drinking tea, and there was a cup for me.

‘I was hoping you could teach me Bill.’

‘I did.’

‘But you were making a fool of me.’

‘You asked me to show you how I beat you. Well I just did.’

‘Yes but what did you show me?’

‘Have you seen that advert on the T.V where Tiger Woods turns up at the range where everyone is spraying balls all over the place?’

I nodded.

‘When he arrives they look at him and one by one they all hit it 300 yards in unison with him but as soon as he leaves they start spraying again.’

‘It’s an advert.’

‘I know, what I’m trying to show you is that I bet, and bear with me here for a second, that if that really happened none of those people would go straight home and write down exactly what they were doing and thinking when they were hitting them shots so that they could practice and repeat it.’

‘When you’re playing well it just flows out. I couldn’t remember what I was thinking if I tried.’

‘And that’s your problem and it’s why I beat you and why this won’t be the last five hundred quid you give away.’

‘Okay Bill, so the next time I’m playing well I should write down my thoughts as a reference?

‘No. Not just your thoughts. Anything. You don’t even need to keep it. The point is you will start to understand what you are doing when you play well.’

‘What if I don’t play that well again?’

‘Can you sing?’

I shook my head.

‘Well you could learn how to fix taps.’

I laughed. ‘So do I really owe you five hundred pounds?’

Bill smiled. “You owe me.”

‘So you think my swing is okay?’

‘Do you remember my swing?’

I nodded, smiling.

‘Well why the hell are you asking me about your swing?’

I stood up and shook his hand warmly. ‘Bill I have to go.’

 

 

JACK NICKLAUS

 

I stayed away for the next two weeks, used local caddies, and made both cuts. I had made some entries into my new journal but nothing I thought was of consequence. On the second week I finished in the top thirty, my best for a while and as it was a strong field I picked up a reasonable cheque. It was also nice to beat some good players including Justin Parsons; I couldn’t help but remember Bill’s words as I watched him struggle with his putting.

When I returned, after dropping my luggage off at my Brother’s house I drove to Bill’s driving range.

‘How did you play?’

‘First week I let myself down in the third round but the second week was much better.’

 ‘That looked like a pretty tough course.’

‘Some big names shot big numbers and missed the cut.’ 

‘If only you could get the ball closer to the pins you could have been in with a chance.’

‘There were a lot of pins out there that you couldn’t attack.’

‘But you didn’t make enough birdies did you?’

‘Not as many as I would have hoped but I only dropped eight shots the whole week.’

‘Sometimes you have to risk a bogie to make a birdie Daniel.’ He said

‘I was straight, I was safe and I made the cut. Considering how I’ve been playing I consider that an improvement.’ I was a bit frustrated.

‘Since you played against me a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think you could have gone down much further!’

‘I need to make a few cuts then I can build from there.’

‘If you target is to make the cut you’ll make a few but if your target is to win you’ll probably earn more when you do. It’s whether you want to be a journeyman or a winner.’

‘I need to secure my card for next year and I need money.’

‘How many thirtieth place finishes will you need to make enough money to retain your card?’

I pursed my lips, 

‘A s**t load! Whereas a couple of top fives or perish the thought a win would secure your card. I think that more than half the guys out there are playing every shot thinking about retaining their card. I bet you Lee Westwood isn’t. He wants to win and is annoyed if he doesn’t.’

‘I’m not in the same class as Westwood.’

‘I know.’

‘Although he does struggle with his putting sometimes.’

‘His short game probably needs some work as well and do you know why that is?’

‘I hadn’t noticed.’

‘Because he hits so many greens whereas Phil Mickleson has a fantastic short game because he misses more, comparatively.’

’So how do I beat Westwood?’

‘You have to play better than him.’

‘As you said I’m not in the same class as him.’

‘I didn’t say that I just agreed with you. Why did you take up Golf, Daniel?’

‘My dad took me to watch the Open and I was hooked.’

‘You pictured yourself winning the Open.’

‘I was a kid I didn’t realize how tough it was just to make a living as a Pro, no matter win a Tournament.’

‘But now you’re an adult you no longer dream about winning the Open.’

‘I still dream about playing in the Open.’

‘I played in the Open you know. I lined up on the first tee with some of the greatest players ever.’

‘Really?’

‘I did, really. I tied 56th and earned £125.’

‘Wow, you’d earn a lot more for finishing tied 56th in a Major now.’

‘Tell me about it. As I said I turned pro to teach kids how to play golf. Playing in the Open at the Old Course was a very nice distraction but it would never have paid the bills.’

‘Who won?’

‘Nicklaus won it in an 18 hole play-off on the Monday. Doug Sanders missed a four-foot left to right downhill putt on the last for the win.’           

‘Did you get to meet Jack?’

‘I was a club pro. He had better things to do.’

‘Who do you think was the best?’

‘How should I know?’

‘Alright, who was the best golfer you ever played with?’

‘I don’t watch the golfers I play with. Unless of course she’s nice looking and then I’m not interested in her swing.’

‘How do you manage to teach people if you have no interest in their swing?’

‘I teach the J.H.T.F.B. principle.’

‘What is that?’

“It’s the ‘Just Hit The F*****g Ball’ principle. If you try and change the way someone hits the ball I guarantee they will get worse and not come back and I need the money.”

‘But what if their swing is wrong.’

‘What can go wrong, you pick the club up and swing it at the ball.’

‘So why aren’t we all brilliant at golf?’

‘Very few people in the world are capable of picking up the club and swinging it at the ball. You see Daniel, golf is an easy game; you have a set of clubs and a small ball that you have to get into a small hole 400 yards away.  The game is difficult because some people out there can do that little trick in three shots or even two. Then of course you have the problem that the ball is tiny and you have to hit it with a stick that is three feet long. I’m amazed we hit it as often as we do, no matter hit it straight.’ 

‘I hope I don’t remember that swing thought next time I’m over the ball.’

‘I’ve got a swing thought for you, just hit the f*****g ball!’

 

 JUSTIN PARSONS

                   

The Tournament that week was in the Midlands so I had time to think as I drove up. I Watched Lee Westwood on the putting green and thought about what Bill had said. 

I had been drawn to play with Justin Parsons in the first two rounds. With just the back nine left to play on the Friday I was playing steadily but the wind got up and it started to rain really heavily. The previous day had been glorious all day and the morning starters on the Friday had gained a huge advantage. My local caddie was doing his best but he hadn’t prepared the bag the way I was used to professional caddie doing it so was really having trouble keeping the equipment dry in the rain. It didn’t help that I was pissed about the weather and my poor draw, was attacking suicide pins and finding myself all kinds of problems.

I came back in 40 and deservedly missed the cut. Since I had a weekend off I decided to visit Bill.

Bill arrived the same time as me and was fuming. He had just returned from a Pro-Am.  ‘Never again!’ He said.

‘What’s the matter?’ 

‘I drew these guys who had, I believe, never played golf before in their lives. They drank beer all the way round and I spent the whole front nine in the woods looking for their balls.’

‘Did they improve on the back nine?’

‘No, but they looked for their own balls.’

‘That’s not the spirit Bill; you’re supposed to enjoy yourself.’ 

‘I don’t mind people who can’t play very well but try hard. People who just want to drink should stay in the clubhouse.’

‘So you didn’t win.’

‘I didn’t say that. But mercifully we didn’t win the team prize. I would have been really annoyed if those piss heads had picked up a trophy.’

‘So you’rfuming even though you won?’ 

Bill changed the subject, ‘You should be playing golf.’

‘I missed the cut.’

‘I know you did. You lost your head on the back nine.’

‘The conditions got to me.’

‘A mechanic has to fix cars no matter what the weather or he doesn’t get paid. That is your job and you have to do your best at all times. To shoot 40 for the back nine was unforgivable. I reckon I could have come back in less than 40 myself.’

Bill picked up the bag of blades, a wet cloth and gestured for me to follow him onto the range. We stood in one of the bays and Bill turned to me.

‘What club do you want to hit that green, it’s about 150 yards?’

‘Not this again Bill, you proved your point.’

‘This is different.’

‘I’d use an eight iron.’

Bill picked the eight iron out of the bag and soaked the grip with water.

‘What are you doing?’

Bill handed me the club. ‘Go on then.’ He said.

‘You want me to use that club with a soaking wet grip?’

‘I want you to hit that green; you can do whatever you want.’

I dried the grip and hit the ball onto the green.

‘What does that prove?’ I asked.

‘It proves that you should be playing golf today.’ He said then he walked off.

I met Bill in the shop.

‘I see your point Bill but you know it’s not as easy as that. I had an inexperienced caddie and he struggled keeping anything dry. The clubs were slipping in my hand on every shot.’

‘The weather was an opportunity for you to be on the same level as Els or Clarke or Westwood. Rain and wind are levelers.’

‘I know. I know. It’s okay to say that now but when you pull out a club and it’s soaking wet and you know it’s going to spin as you hit the ball it’s tough to keep a positive attitude.’

‘Level par would have seen you make the cut comfortably. Level par!’

‘Okay Bill I’m sorry.’ 

Bill stood up. ‘Sorry. It’s just that…’ He tailed off and went outside to the range. 

 

LEE WESTWOOD

 

I knew I needed to spend the whole of Sunday practicing at my home course. I spent a few hours on the range and then brushed up my short game before I went out on the course with the club pro. I made five birdies in nine holes and blew him away. 

I could feel something clicking into place and was excited about my prospects for the following week on a course I enjoyed and had played well on before.

I arrived early on Tuesday morning for a practice round and played well. I was hitting the ball nicely and found the speed of the greens very quickly. I just had a feeling that I was in for a good week. When the pairings were posted I was pleased to find that I was playing with Lee Westwood. 

My brother had agreed to caddie for me and as he had regularly caddied for me when we were younger I was comfortable that he would know what to do.

I was still swinging well on the driving range at nine-thirty on Thursday morning when Lee approached me.

‘Morning Dan, it’s me, you and Shane Lowry today.’ He said as he shook my hand.

‘Yes. I’m looking forward to it.’

‘Tenner a birdie, twenty an eagle okay by you? Just for a bit of fun.’

I don’t know how long it took me to close my mouth; I looked at Peter, my brother who had the same expression on his face before returning my gaze to Lee and nodding. ‘Yeah. That’s fine.’

Lee smiled and walked off. My brother stood up.

‘Are you mad!’ He exclaimed. ‘He makes birdies and eagles in his sleep!’

I hit another ball. ‘If I win I won’t have to pay him.’

‘Do you even know who that was? He may win a Major this year and you just bet him that you’ll make more birdies than him.’

‘He was trying to psyche me out. Anyway there are three of us.’

‘Shane Lowry won a couple of weeks ago.’

‘S**t.’

To say I was nervous on the first tee was an understatement. My normal playing partners didn’t make too many birdies so even on a really bad day it wouldn't cost too much, but this was Lee Westwood.

Lee made a par at the first, which would have been a relief if I hadn’t made a bogie and Shane made a birdie; I knew I would be in for a tough day. 

It took me a few holes to get into my game; I knew that the T.V would be following Lee.

I made my first birdie on the seventh hole to get back to level then continued my form with consecutive birdies on the eighth and ninth to be out in 34, two under against Westwood’s one under and Shane’s one over. 

By the back nine I was enjoying myself and it showed in my game.

 It wasn’t until I tapped in a two foot putt for par on the eighteenth and Lee walked over, shook my hand and congratulated me on my round that I realized I had won the money.

‘Sorry Lee, we all have bad days.’

He laughed ‘I’m only two shots behind you and there’s still tomorrow, I don’t reckon I’ll be far off second when all the scores are in.’ He said as he walked off.

‘Nice game.’ Shane told me as he also shook my hand, ‘I can’t see anyone beating that today.’

I turned around and for the first time I looked at my name at the top of the leader board by two shots.

I don’t know how long I stood there for; it seemed like an age before my brother came over and put his hand on my shoulder.

“You haven’t played like that since we were kids Dan. You have no idea what was going through my mind on the back nine, you were so cool with it.”

“I’ll let you in on a secret bro’. I had no idea what was going on, I was in the zone. It was like I was playing skins with Rob and the lads.”

“One of the T.V guys came up to me on the fairway back there to see if you’d do an interview but I told him to leave you alone.”

I did my interviews, talked through my birdies, tried to explain how a guy from nowhere goes out and leads the English Open after the first round, the afternoon starters were still on the course but Shane was right when he said that no-one would get near me, 64 on that day was incredible golf, and I told them that I’d try and keep it up for the second round, blah, blah, blah.

After the interviews I went to the range, not really to work on anything, I just needed to chill out. I’d hit two balls then,

“You must have been knocking them pins out today?”

I’d hit another couple,

“If I’d have made everything I looked at out there with the flat stick I wouldn’t have shot 64.”

Another few, “Well played today.”

The last one was Archie. Justin Parsons had shot 78 and looked like missing the cut, I felt genuinely sorry for Archie.

“It must have been me Dan; I’ve given Justin the yips already.”

“I was just in the zone today Archie.”

“Keep it up Dan, don’t go back.”

I smiled to him as he walked off.

I hit a few putts, collected a few more compliments, including Thomas Bjorn who had shot 65 to be second on his own behind me and went to the clubhouse for some late lunch. Peter, my brother, had collected my winnings from Shane and Lee and had spent most of it on lunch and beer.

“I didn’t think you’d mind, especially since you aren’t paying me.”

“Who said I’m not paying you?”

“Hey bro’, earn a few quid then you can afford to pay me, until then just pay for my beer and food.”

“It may be cheaper to pay you ten per cent!”

“Normally it would be, but not this week eh?” 

I decided to treat myself to a hotel room, albeit a cheap motel, but it was near the course.

The second round was chalk and cheese, fortunately Shane was struggling to make the cut so didn’t want to play for money, neither did Lee but I think he was worried that I would play like I had on the Thursday. He needn’t have worried, I was out in 40 to a par of 36, and I didn’t hole a thing. I only managed 40 because my short game held up. The back nine was better but even that was only level par for a 76. I was still 4 under but was now tied for 12th. If someone had offered me tied 12th on Thursday morning I would have ripped their arms off but since my Thursday round my expectations had elevated somewhat.

I spent more time on the range and did more work, because no one complimented me. I saw Thomas talking to Lee Westwood on the putting green but I don’t think they saw me. Lee had shot 69 and Thomas 70 to tie 3rd, they would be playing together on the Saturday. Unfortunately Shane had missed the cut by a couple, Justin Parsons missed it by a street.

I lay on my bed in the motel room thinking about my situation for most of the evening; Peter had gone home to spend the night with the family, as he hadn’t expected me to make the cut. He wasn’t the only one. I thought about what Bill would say to me, he would tell me to attack, or would he, Saturday was moving day after all. I had to try and find the zone again, but I didn’t know how I’d got into it the last time! I guessed this was why Bill had told me to write everything down, I hadn’t done it but I got the journal out and wrote what I could remember about Thursday.

I wasn’t teeing off until midday on Saturday so I had plenty of time for a lay in and still got to the course early. I wanted to find the groove. I was paired with Damian McGrane; I found him on the putting green. He was a real Journeyman, but a very good one. He had beaten Tiger by nine shots a few years back and had stormed the China Open. He was a nice, pleasant Irishman and I was sure we’d have a great day.

We didn’t knock the pins out but only one person did. I shot 68, Damian shot 69, Thomas shot 73 and Lee Westwood shot 71. I ended up tied 6th, only 3 shots off the lead and would play with Thomas on the final day.

I spent some time on the range with Damian. We hardly mentioned golf as we hit some balls, just warming down. I wasn’t working on anything. I was just feeling my swing. Over lunch I thought about Sunday, Padraig Harrington had come from nowhere to snatch the lead, he had shot 64 and I felt the same way as people had obviously felt on Thursday when I did it. Thomas came over, “Pity about yesterday or you could have been right up there?”

“I still am.”

“Paddy’s going to take some catching tomorrow, his 64 was nearly as good as yours and I don’t think he’ll shoot 76 tomorrow.”

It may have seemed like he was having a dig at me but he was really just thinking aloud, I knew as well as him that Harrington wouldn’t lose it on Sunday, someone would have to win it.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Lee tells me that you took a few pounds off him.”

“It was more than a few pounds.”

He laughed as he walked off.

 

“On the tee, the 12.40 tee time, Daniel Pinner.”

The large crowd applaud and I follow Thomas straight down the fairway.

The front nine was uneventful for everyone, the leader board had tightened up, and Paddy wasn’t getting away from us. I had been steady, four straight pars before I settled down and made bogie but then I really settled down to birdie 7 and 8. A par at 9 had me out in 1 under and still very much in the cauldron. Thomas was level and one behind me, Westwood turned level and was one in front of me. Paddy was one over and had come back to us, he was tied for the lead now and I was on my own in 3rd. I felt that I was starting to hit the ball well and fancied my chances on the back 9.

Thomas must have felt the same because he birdied 10 and 11 to pass me and join Westwood and two others who had made moves. Padraig had found his putter and had birdied the ninth to go one clear. I had made par at 10 and 11 but had been close; I grazed the hole on both. I knew I had to get something going or it would be too late. I hit the par five 12th in two for a two putt birdie then followed with a birdie on 13; I was now level with Thomas and one clear of Westwood who was treading water. Harrington was tied for the lead with Mikko Ilonen who was making a big surge; he was six under for the day but double bogied on the way in to drift back. By the time I reached the par five 15th I knew I needed at least birdie to have a chance of winning. Westwood had eagled 12 to take the lead by one from me, Thomas and Harrington. Thomas and I both hit the fairway on 15 and he gestured that it was me away.

I looked at Peter for what was probably the first time all day. He was ashen.

“Hey bro’, you okay?”

“Yeah.” He replied, even though he obviously wasn’t.

“What have we got then?”

I could see his hand shaking as he consulted the yardage chart. “220 carry, 240 front, 249 pin. Into the breeze”

“Hey Pete, it’s just a walk in the park.”

He nodded nervously.

“I’m having a tin cup moment.” I threw a bit of grass up and looked over at Thomas, he was in the same boat as me. A couple of yards closer, but his caddy hadn’t turned to jelly. 

“It’s a pure three wood.”

Finally Peter snapped and told me what he felt, “For f***s sake Dan, lay up.”

“I can’t win if I lay up, what do you think Bjorn will do?”

“Depends what you do.”

“That’s what I think.” I touched the cover of the three wood. “F**k it!”

I got the three wood out, visualized the ball hitting the green, set myself, swung and stuck it into the lake in front of the green. Bjorn layed up and made birdie, I made a good six but the battle was over.

I finished with two bogies and a birdie alone in 6th while Thomas finished with pars to lose by one. Harrington steadied himself and made an 8 footer for birdie on the last to win.

I was gutted, my best finish ever on tour, a handsome cheque and I was gutted. I wasn’t upset about the shot on 15; I was annoyed at the way I’d finished after that. I had caved. I had shot 71 when I should have shot 67. 

“If it had been me I would have done the same on 15. I was lucky to be going second.” Thomas told me as he shook my hand on the 18th.

‘I couldn’t have hit it any better. It was pretty pure.’

‘I know, I wanted to go for it but I don’t think I would have made it either.’

We signed our cards and I waited in the bar. Thomas hit some balls in case he made a play-off, but Harrington’s putt on the last put paid to that.

I soaked up the atmosphere for quite some time before I left. I hadn’t experienced the final day, final groups feeling before and it was good, I could really get used to it. I had made enough money to see me through the season, it went a long way towards keeping my card and the best news was that I had a fitting with Titleist on Monday, I had met their representative in the clubhouse and they were interested in sponsoring me. Incredibly enough the shot into 15 had convinced them. If I could get a couple of more good finishes the money would start to flow, clothes, hat and everywhere else the T.V can see.

 

MIGUEL ANGEL JIMINEZ

 

My appointment was in Cambridgeshire on Monday so I found a hotel nearby, phoned my brother to thank him and give him the news about Titleist. I don’t know if he was more delighted about the news or that they would have the house to themselves for the next week, as I would be going straight to the next Tournament.

‘Danny, you’ve got to get yourself a proper caddy.’

‘I know. It’s on my list.’

‘You have a list?’

‘Don’t take the piss.’

‘You played the best golf I’ve ever seen this week Dan. A proper caddy would have talked you out of that shot on 15, I feel bad about that.’

‘It was my call I would have done the same no matter who was on my bag. I still think it was the shot.’

I arrived at the French Open with my new clubs, courtesy of my new sponsors, but without a caddy. I decided to run with a local caddy again which proved to be a bad idea. The two days I played were eminently forgettable. My caddy spoke limited English and wasn’t keen on reading greens. I played poorly in practice and then worse on Thursday. My tailored clubs felt unwieldy and my swing felt loose. I either couldn’t get the ball to the hole or rolled it too far past and I shot 78. Friday started better as I was two under through nine but then shanked an iron on the tenth that cost me a double bogie. From then on my round fell to bits and I missed the cut comfortably. The most annoying thing about the week was that I was in a marquee group, I was playing with Miguel Angel Jiminez and Raphael Jacquelin and I was an embarrassment.

 

SEVE

 

The following week I didn’t play at all. I needed some time to lick my wounds and to think. I decided to visit Bill.

‘What’s your dream Dan?’

‘I want to earn enough money to keep my card.’

‘Is that it?’ He huffed ‘you dream about being below average.’

‘I don’t dream about it. It’s my job.’

‘Do you know that Seve could will a putt to hit the hole, the power of his mind MADE the ball drop?’

‘He wished!’

‘It doesn’t matter whether it is true or not. As far as Seve was concerned he had willed the ball into the hole. Do you think that Tiger Woods is ever happy with second place?’

‘Oh yeah! We’re on to this again, they’re never happy with second.’

‘I’m thinking specifically of Woods because I think it’s what makes him special. He, I believe, is happy with second if that is the best he can do, if he can’t win he wants to finish as high on the leader board as possible, he never gives up. Many if not all of the others will give up if they can’t win. Believe me there is less difference in ability within the top 300 golfers in the world than most people think, it comes down to desire.’

‘What are you telling me here? I want to finish as high as I can, I need the biggest cheque I can get.’

‘You are needy Daniel, you can’t afford the luxury of charging through the field in the hope of catching the leader until you have secured your job for next year, that shot on 15 was a mistake, the way you were hitting your short irons you would have made birdie which would have changed your attitude for the last few holes. I don’t think you could have beaten Harrington but you might have secured your card and we could be having a much more interesting conversation right now.’

‘So you wouldn’t have taken it on?’

‘You watch too many movies. Bjorn laid up and made 4.’

‘He said he would have gone for it if he had been going first.’

‘And when you looked over he had his hand on his 3 wood, he looked confused. Does this ring a bell? How do you think I win money from you guys with my swing? He saw the way you were playing, saw you had an inexperienced caddy. Come on Dan.’

‘He knew I’d go for it. He bloody knew.’

‘The way you were playing I’m sure you felt like you’d make it, I’ll bet he knew you wouldn’t.’

‘I took the shot, no matter how much I regret it now I won’t get another go.’

‘Why not? I’ll tell you a film you should watch, Groundhog Day. You qualify from tour school; you make a few cuts; you support yourself from local events and you go back to tour school. The problem is that it’s a descending orbit, you’re getting older, your money’s running out and the standard is improving, soon you won’t find it so easy to qualify or win local events.’

‘But this is the best spell I’ve ever had, I could have my card secured by August or September then I can relax.’

‘And do what?’

‘I don’t know, but I know I’ll have a job for next year.’

‘So 114th on the Money List is good?’

‘I’m not saying it’s good. I’m just saying that it would mean I could have the winter off, no tour school, no worries.’

‘My God Dan!’ What about next year? What if you don’t get this run next year?’

‘I’ve been there before.’

‘You have a chance here, put in the work, sort out the attitude and make something happen. Do you know what? If you were married you’d be a better golfer, you’d want kids and a house so you’d need to win.’

‘You said that tightened that guy up.’

‘He’s not the same as you, he’s desperate but he’s just not good enough, he should be fixing taps.’

‘Aha! So you think I’m good enough?’

‘Of course I do. You don’t.’

‘But you beat me.’

‘Dan, I’d take money off Tiger Woods.’

‘I believe you would.’

‘I don’t care what you think about me, as far as I am concerned I am the best golfer in the world.’

‘So I need self belief?’

‘You need self belief, practice, a good caddy, practice, vision, practice, a cool head under pressure…

‘Practice.’

‘Don’t interrupt. Practice, clubs you’re happy with and most importantly…’

‘Practice.’

‘I think I said practice you also need luck. You need the guy who’s playing best to get sick so that your road is clear.’

‘I would wish illness on someone Bill.’

‘Which is why I beat you and Bjorn beat you and will continue to do so. This isn’t kindergarten Dan. This is your life kid. My God! You have the best job in the world!’

‘I hear you Bill. I may seem naive and stupid but to be honest it had been getting to me. The past few weeks have been like a breath of fresh air, I was just a guy out playing golf again.’

‘I don’t think it’s a coincidence that you’ve been playing well at the same time.’

I paused for thought. ‘You’re a good man Bill.’

‘I like the sound of my own voice. Where are you playing next?’

‘The Irish Open, at the K-Club.’

‘What do you have to do to get into the Open?’

‘I have to make the top 16 odd from final qualifying.'

'Any other way?'

'I could qualify on ranking which isn't going to happen, or a top five at Loch Lomond which I would have to qualify for would do it.'

‘You need a dream Dan. I'm going to set you a target. You have to make the cut in The Open.' 

'No problem, piece of cake Bill.'

'Sarcasm doesn't suit you Dan. What is the problem anyway? I did it.'

'I can say to you it’s a dream but its way down the list for me this year.'

'Walking down the final fairway one shot clear of the field in the greatest championship in the world.'

'I like the Masters.'

'If you win the Open you qualify for the Masters.'

'Good point. Okay Bill, just for you I'll target the Open.'

'Don't do it for me, but if you do I want free tickets.'

 

ANDY PRODGER

 

I had friends who had offered me a bed for the week and I had promised to treat them to lunch on the Sunday so I booked an early flight to Dublin.

Monday and Tuesday practice went okay and I was swinging O.K. rather than well. I was pleasantly surprised when Scott Cranfield approached me on the range and pointed out a few unnecessary movements that where affecting my swing. He went through a few movements I needed to work on that would allow me to go after more pins. After hitting a few more balls doing what he told me I felt I had a bit more control of the flight. He didn't discuss prices so neither did I. I continued to work on what he told me until I could almost swing no more. The Pro at my home club would check my basics, set up, swing plane and positions in the swing but I didn’t really go in for lessons as such. I didn’t want to get too mechanical and considered myself a feel player. Listening to what Scott had said I wasn’t sure that had been the best idea.

 

By the Wednesday pro am I was swinging really well, I felt as good as I ever had, but I was holing nothing. I hit nearly all the fairways and only missed one green, I was getting the ball reasonably close but I just couldn't get the ball to drop. My friend Barry from Dublin who was caddying for me didn't even play golf so he was no help. When Andy Prodger became available I remembered Bill's words on the Wednesday afternoon about it not being a kindergarten. Sandy Lyle had damaged his hand trying to dig one of his wild drives out of the cabbage so Andy had lost his bag. I spoke to Barry about it and he begged me to give the bag to Andy as he hadn't wanted to do it in the first place. I approached Andy in the clubhouse and explained my situation. I didn’t need to, he knew already. Andy was glad of the bag and even said he would do it just for a percentage of the prize as Sandy had already sorted out his expenses. I now had a swing; a proper caddy and I even had a good pairing for the Thursday. I felt like my ship had come in, Andy would give me the reads for my birdies.

I met Andy in the car park on the Thursday morning as I was getting the bag out of the boot. He ran over.

'What the f**k are you doing, I've already lost one bag this week I don't want you doing your back in.'

'Sorry Andy, I've got used to doing it myself over the past few weeks.'

'All you need to do is get that little ball into the hole, everything else is sorted.'

I followed Andy to the putting green; I wanted to see how my stroke felt. It wasn't good. I was missing them everywhere.

'Can you see anything Andy? I don't think the stroke is too bad.'

'I'm never happy if you guys hole everything here, I feel like you're wasting them. If your stroke feels okay I wouldn't worry about it.'

I decided to go to the range. The first few swings were a bit stiff but Scott came over and sorted me out. He spoke to Andy.

'Do you see what I'm doing Prodge?'

'Yeah, I'll keep an eye on it.'

Scott turned to me. 'He'll look after you out there; I might even risk a punt on you each way.'

'I can't hit a bucket from three feet with the flat stick.'

'You never know.'

Andy chipped in, 'the more you tear yourself up the worse it will get. Forget about it.'

I stopped to eat a banana.

'I wouldn't have let you hit that three wood. You were on fire. Tommy fucked with your head.'

'Unfortunately I watch too many films.'

'You made a good six.'

'Well Andy if we can get into that position again I hope things are different.'

'If we get in that position we'll f*****g win, I guarantee it.'

'It’s amazing, there are two different Tours out here, I've been out here a while but this is all new to me.'

'Sandy's got it the other way, he used to the best and he wants it back but he hasn't got a clue where the f**k it’s going most of the time. He just never gives up; he's always on it. He calls his lob wedge 'the shovel' because of the amount of time he chops out of the cabbage, lots of guys could learn a lot from him. What would be a 78 in other hands turns into a 72, it's still just too many though.'

'The 8.10 tee time, on the tee, Daniel Pinner.'

The crowd applaud and I hook it into the cabbage.

'Andy, I think I'll need the shovel.'

We laughed; I chopped out and made a nice 15 footer for par. Unfortunately it was the only putt I made on the front nine. I was driving it okay but under pressure my swing faults kept reappearing. Fortunately Andy was a good caddy and by the back nine he had just about sorted me out. I finished the front nine at one over which was worse than average, but I held it together on the tougher back nine to card a 73. I would need to hole some putts and shoot 70 just to make the cut but the field was bunched so I still had a chance if I put in a good round. I hadn't knocked the pins out but a couple of decent early putts would have made a huge difference.

Scott met me on the putting green after my round.

'Looking after your investment?'

He laughed. 'I didn't bet but if what I saw was right I'm going to wish I had.'

Scott got me to hit a few putts then went through what he thought I was doing wrong. I holed more; the stroke felt better and more importantly I felt I could hole some on the course. Scott took Andy through what he should watch for and we were ready.

'I can't believe I feel so good after shooting 73, not long ago I would have been booking my flights before the Friday rush.'

'If you don't win this week you'll win soon, trust me.' Andy told me after Scott had gone.

 

Friday started off better than I could have hoped. My drive was long and straight; I stuck my approach to five feet and rolled the putt centre cup but that was just the beginning. I was out in 31 and back in 33, the course was playing easier than the day before and there was another 64, from Lee Westwood, but I was tied third only two shots off the lead at close of play. My swing felt great even when I was warming down on the range, I wanted to stay there all night but Andy stopped me.

'Don't waste 'em.'

We quit and went to the bar.

'We may be in that position again Andy, you may have to snap my three wood.'

 'If you play like you did today we'll walk this but I predict a dodgy day, I just hope its tomorrow.'

'Saturday is moving day isn't it?'

'That’s bollocks; just play your own game. Thinking like that will f**k with your head, you moved today. You just have to stay there or thereabouts until the back nine on Sunday. I'm going to make sure you don't lose it before then.'

'I can't believe it Andy; I really think I can win. I believe I can win.'

'You've just got to keep your head on, listen to me and it'll be a walk in the park.'

Andy was right and strangely pleased when I shot 73 on Saturday.

'How can you be pleased with one over today Andy?'

'It was a tough day and it doesn't cost us a bean Dan. No one went anywhere today. If I had the choice of us being a couple clear or a couple behind going into Sunday I'd take a couple behind, you'll find it easier to chase than to hold on.'

'So what will our game plan be?'

'You'll know.'

I went back, treated myself to a beer, spoke to Barry about everything but golf, went to bed early and slept like a log.

'Twelve forty-five tee time, on the tee Daniel Pinner.'

I was paired with Ian Poulter in the final round; he was a shot in front of me and a shot behind Darren Clarke and Padraig Harrington who were playing together in the final group. 

I wasn't swinging too well on the early holes, I made a few good pars, a couple of bogies and I managed to birdie the two early par fives to be level. Ian had got out of the blocks and was two under for the day, he was still a shot behind Darren but Padraig was one over for the day. Andy was still pleased with my position even though I was four back. I hit my best drive of the day so far on the par four eighth. We reached my ball and consulted Andy's yardages.

'I could cut a six back into that corner. It should sit quickly.'

'Seven iron middle, see if we can get that putter working.'

I stared at him. 'I'm four back. This is the best chance I've had yet and I want to cut a six to that pin.'

'This tournament hasn’t started yet. If you over cut it and short side yourself we’re fucked, if you hit it straight you'll airmail the green and we’re fucked and if you do manage to cut it back to that pin you'll still have to make a putt because that pin is cut on the edge of table f*****g mountain. This is not a birdie hole.'

I looked at him for a short time. 'All you had to say was no.'

We laughed; I pushed the seven. Honestly. Cleared the bunker by about an inch and rolled the putt in for birdie. 'I pushed it!'

'Bollocks did you, you got lucky, and I like that.'

Poulter had done what I wanted to do on eight, over cut it, short sided himself and made bogie. Harrington was still treading water but Clarke had made another birdie to go to eleven under.

'Clarke's on fire.' I said to Ian as we walked to our balls on the ninth, mine was in the first cut but his was in the cabbage. Andy pulled me away.

'You can't do anything about him, we have to focus; this competition is about to start.'

I made a regulation par on nine while Ian was making another bogie. Harrington also made bogie while Clarke made another birdie, I didn't mention it but I knew that Clarke would have to come back to me and I didn't think he would, unless something extraordinary happened I was playing for second place. 

By the 14th it was more apparent that the Tournament was all but over: Clarke was now at -14 and 6 under for the day, I was clear in second at -8, followed by Poulter and Shane Lowry, who was on a charge but was playing the last, on -7. Harrington was +2 for the day on -6 with three other players. Andy whispered in my ear while we waited on the 15th tee,

"I don't think Clarke is coming back to us."

"When he birdied 8 with that pin and he draws the ball I knew he wasn't ever coming back!" I laughed. "What are we going to need for 2nd Andy?"

He thought for a moment, "you'll be safe with 10. You may get lucky with 9."

"Okay then Andy we need two birds coming in." 

I was first on the tee on 15 and smashed my drive through the dogleg into the cabbage and behind a tree.

"We may need three." I whispered to him as he took my club.

"Or four." He mumbled back to me. I smiled.

Unfortunately Andy was right. We only found the ball because it nearly hit a Marshall who saw it fall into the roots of a tree, I needed to take an unplayable then I missed the green with my 3rd shot and didn't get up and down.

I did make one birdie before the 18th but it wasn't ever going to be enough. I finished tied for 4th behind the irrepressible Clarke and a fast finishing Lowry who birdied 18 to finish on -8 with Poulter. 

"Are you playing next week?"
"I really don't know Andy. I missed the cut in France and didn't play last week so I'm not golfed out but I will miss final qualifying for the Open. I'm in a quandary."

"If I were you I'd play Loch Lomond."

"Have you spoken to Sandy? How bad is his wrist?"

"I spoke to him this morning. He's hoping to play next week. You really need a good caddy on your bag Dan. He'll be worth whatever you pay him."

"It's not the money. Archie was on my bag until recently."
Andy looked around and leaned closer to me. "Its no surprise to me that your game has turned around since he left, but I didn't tell you that."

This was the second time I had heard someone say something derogatory about Archie, I wondered how blind I had been. "Do you know of anyone who is looking for a bag?"
"Everyone will want your bag. This is our job too you know? We can see you on the leaderboards. You need to pick a caddy you want and offer him your bag."

I smiled at him. 

He smiled back and told me what I already knew, "Not me, I'm not ready to leave Sandy."

"I don't know if I feel right about stealing someone's Caddy."

"This isn't Summer Camp! This is your living and your career, those guys you don't want to upset would s**t in your cap if it meant they'd finish in front of you and you should be prepared to do the same."

"Okay Andy, you've been a revelation to me this week. I think that if I’d had a good Caddy before I'd be doing a lot better."

"I'm sure of it."

 

I stayed at Barry's house for an extra night so we could celebrate and decided that I would travel straight to either final qualifying or Loch Lomond. 

After a great deal of thought I decided to play Loch Lomond. I figured that because I had qualified for it I was duty bound to play, plus it would be an all-star field with a big purse. I could play well at final qualifying and still not make the Open, whereas if I played well at Loch Lomond I would earn a good cheque. No matter what Bill's feelings were I still wanted to earn as much money as I could to improve my ranking and grading, the Open would always be a bonus for me.

 

PROFESSOR PASTY

 

Unfortunately I didn't find a Caddy I wanted before Loch Lomond so was forced to use a local man. In Scotland the Caddies are the best in the world so it wasn't much of a problem. Because it is such an exclusive Tournament there was a large pool of Caddies to choose from. I ended up with arguably the best Caddy in the area, if not Scotland according to a chap I met in a local bar on the Monday! The only problem I had with Jimmy was the language barrier, he was a broad Scot and I needed a phrase book to understand what he was saying for the first couple of days but by the Pro-Am on Wednesday we were laughing and joking like old pals. 

 I neither shone nor disgraced myself for the first two days, my swing was there but only just and my putter was behaving, just. There was no Scott Cranfield to look at my swing, no Prodge to sort me out on the course and I couldn't quite get into the zone. I had an average couple of days but still made the cut by one. Jimmy was okay, he was chatty, he was doing a fine job but he wasn't my Caddy in the way Andy had been, I really needed a Caddy! Jimmy and I parted company.

I caught up with Andy in the bar. 'I need a caddy for the weekend Andy. Any ideas?'

'You need a caddy for more than just the weekend and yes I do have an idea. Pasty is looking for a bag, he's good and he'll suit you. Do you want to meet him?'

'You bet. Is he here?'

I met Pasty, we talked, he sold and I bought. We agreed a percentage and I had a caddy again. I had stolen a fellow pro's caddy and although I felt guilty as hell Pasty explained that he was going to get the sack soon anyway. It was like an unwritten rule. 

I met Pasty at the back of my car early on Saturday morning, he carried my bag in and I bought him breakfast, over which we discussed what I needed to do.

'We're lucky that it's bunched up. If we can get round in the high sixties we should be in the frame. The only problem with weeks like this is that there are so many guys out there that can shoot the lights out that it's difficult to know where we're gonna be.'

'I'll see what I can do; I've been swinging okay. I'm just not quite there.'

'Let's get out there. I want to see you swing close up.'

'What do you mean close up?'

'We watch everyone.' He smiled

'I'm going to feel quite self-conscious on the range from now on.'

'If you're uncomfortable having people watch you swing you're in the wrong job.'

'Scott Cranfield spotted a few glitches for me in Ireland.'

'I'll have a look; they call me Professor Pasty. Not many of the guys like to help with the swing but I do.'

'That's why Prodge knew you'd be right for me.'

Pasty nodded. We spent an hour on the range and Pasty was true to his word, he saw the same things Scott had spotted and by the time I had left I felt great. After a half hour's polishing on the putting green we were on the first tee and ready.

Pasty handed me my driver on a tight opening hole I had hit three wood from each day and said, 'don't be afraid to go deep.'

I missed one fairway on the front nine, in the first cut, which wasn't a problem as it was a back pin, the ball pitched in the middle of the green and released, leaving me a five foot birdie putt which I rolled centre cup. I couldn't have gone lower on the front, I was four under at the turn against an average of level, and because the back nine was playing easier I was looking to go deep. 

Pasty was amazing, it all washed right over him. He wasn't fazed by anything. He'd give me the clubs tell me the yardages to everything and read the putts for me; all I had to do was make a swing.

I did enough on the back nine; to be honest it had got to me. When I birdied eleven and twelve and was looking at a ridiculously low number I lost concentration. I scrambled pars at thirteen and fourteen before dropping a shot on fifteen. I got my head back to par in for a 67 against an average field score of 71. By the end of the day I was in the top ten and back in the tournament. I was four under tied with two others, we were a shot off three tied at fives and there were two tied for the lead at seven. The leaders were rookies and the only "name" in the top ten was Ernie Els.

'Have you seen the pairings?' Pasty asked me as he arrived on the range as I was warming down.

'No.'

'You're with the Big Easy.'

'Get outa here!'

'You stay with him tomorrow and you won't be far away.'

'This is what it's all about Pasty. COME ON ERNIE, bring it on!'

 

ERNIE ELS

 

Sunday was buzzing. I was the only Englishman in with a shout and the papers had found out that my Old Man was a Scot so I was big news. Pasty had arranged a couple of bodyguards courtesy of the Tour so I felt like a real celebrity. 

'Don't talk to anyone until you get to the range and then only the T.V.' He told me. 'You're prime rib today.'

I found it tough to focus, Pasty was fantastic; he was bodyguard, mentor and shepherd all in one. We worked and my swing felt pretty good. Ernie was beside me on the range and it took all my concentration to focus on what I was doing and not watch the Big Easy swing.

'That guy is going to get us round today. If you lose your rhythm just look at him and it'll come back.' Pasty told me. 'We couldn't have a better pairing.'

'I'm glad you're pleased Pasty, I'm shitting my pants!'

'Good.'

'So what's it going to take Pasty?'

He thought for a moment. 'If you beat Ernie, you'll win.'

'What's it going to take to beat Ernie?'

'I'll tell you on the tenth tee.'

 

I felt strangely calm as I shook hands with Ernie on the first tee; I don’t think it’s possible to be nervous around Ernie anyway. I even had the honour! 

I’m sure a lack of concentration caused my hooded drive into the rough on the left before Ernie split the fairway but golf is a funny game; I missed the green in the bunker but saved a par whereas Ernie three putted for bogie and the game was on.

With Pasty on my shoulder I coasted the front nine. Because the wind was fresh I was drifting up the leader board. I checked it out as I waited for the group in front to clear the 10th fairway; Ernie had steadied himself and was tied with two others at six under, there was another two with me at  -5 and we were a couple clear of the chasing pack. My top five looked safe if I could just keep my head on but Pasty had other ideas.

“If you get to seven you’ll win.”

“You’re not exactly breaking the magician’s code there Pasty. The back plays a couple more than the front and with this wind. I’d guess six would do it comfortably.”

“This isn’t just anyone you’re chasing here Dan, this is Ernie Els!”

“I’m going to have to risk a few numbers to go deep on the back Pasty and I want a top five.”

“Let’s let them roll and see what happens. It can’t hurt to hang around and see what happens.”

By the 14th I wished I’d been more positive. I’d been hitting the middle of the greens but was overworking my putter and I was leaving myself too much to do and had made bogie. Justin Rose had come out of the pack and passed me and I was struggling. 

On the 15th tee Pasty took my arm. “Cut it off them trees, the wind should bring it back to the middle.”

“I’m going for it Pasty.”

“Hard draw and hang its bollocks out then. Let’s make some birdies!” He said as a big grin spread across his face.

I hit the shot well, too well. I absolutely killed it through the corner and winced as it kicked into the trees. I knew before I reached the ball that I was going to be in the s**t. My ball was in the middle of a bush and my options were an inch above non-existent.

“What do you reckon Pasty?”

“Back to the tee.”

I didn’t want to have to re-hit the shot but Pasty was right. There was no space to go back behind the bush and get a shot and the two-club length lateral drop would still leave me in the bush without a swing. I shook my head; the bush wasn’t in play for me if I had hit the ball the way I wanted but I had got ahead of myself. As I stood there a Rules Official approached me. I turned to him and tried my luck:

“Hey there, what are my options here?”

He looked around a bit then got on the radio.

“This area here is protected GUR and play is prohibited so you are allowed a free drop within one club length of here.” 

He pointed to a spot where I knew I would be able to take an unplayable and give myself a shot at the green if I was careful with the drop. I thanked him. I marked and dropped my ball. I then took an unplayable for a one shot penalty from where the ball finished. I had a swing and played my third shot to the green and rolled the putt in for a par. Pasty and I couldn’t help a little grin to each other as we walked to the par 5 16th. I saw what happened on 15 as a sign and smashed my drive down the right side, it drew back to the middle and the green was well in range in two. When we reached the ball I turned to Pasty.

“Tell me about that pin Pasty.”

“189 front, 207 pin and it’s 6 from the left. You need a high 4 iron but you’re psyched at the moment so hit a 5, little bit of draw and get it past the pin if you can.”

“So I’ll hit the 4 then, if you want it past the pin.”

“You’ll airmail that green with the 4 and through the back is toast. Trust your caddy, five iron at the middle with a touch of right to left to get that pin.”

I hit the 5 but it didn’t draw. It stopped about 20 feet long and right from the pin but I still rolled the putt in for an eagle and was at 6 under and very much back in the tournament!

There were now 3 of us tied at 6 under, Me, Ernie and Justin Rose. As I waited on the 17th tee I began to shake just a little bit, I was also sweating a bit. 

“Let the battle commence.” Pasty whispered to me, which didn’t help.

There was a bit of a hold up on the fairway in front so I grabbed a bottle of water. 

Ernie met me at the coolbox. It must have been obvious that it was getting to me. 

“Deep breaths. Close your eyes and think of something nice, do you have kids?” 

‘No, I’m not married.’

‘That’s what I do at these times, I think of my kids running around in the garden.’

‘What did you think about before you had kids?’

“That’s a good question.” He thought for a moment. “You know, I don’t remember.”

Ernie turned away, still in thought, and returned to his bag. As he removed the head cover from his driver he winked at me and signalled that it was my honour.

I had calmed down, just the brief conversation with Ernie had calmed my nerves and all I could think about was what kind of man would help a competitor in such a moment, certainly not one who would s**t in his cap! 

I took out my driver and melted it down the right, too far right. I had carried the corner and was in trouble again. Ernie hit 3 wood and found the fairway.

When we reached my ball Pasty put the bag down and went forward to check out the options, all I could think about was whether Ernie had Tommied me by taking out driver. When Pasty returned I asked him,

‘Did Ernie f**k with my head on the tee?’

Pasty looked at me. “You need to concentrate here Dan.” He checked his yardages. “Okay, you’re going to have to carry the bunker by the green to go at the pin but I don’t think we’ll stop it from this lie so take one less and aim left, we should catch the front of the green and you can two putt from there.”

‘How’s Ernie sitting?’

‘Don’t worry about him. You have to focus. Hit the six and open the face a touch in case the grass snarls the hosel.’ Pasty pulled the bag away. All I could think about was how I’d been conned again and I was in a rage, I hit the six straight at the pin, carried the bunker comfortably, pitched about 6 feet from the pin, bounced high and finished in the trees behind the green. 

“It was a 7, Bad club.’ I said to Pasty as I handed the 6 to him and stormed off.

Pasty followed along behind me and we both watched Ernie hit it to 6 feet.”

I got to my ball first and it looked bad. It was even worse because of the mood I was in. Pasty rushed to me and took my arm.

‘You need to get over this Dan. It’s the nerves trying to find a way out; your emotions are all over the place so you need to chill. I dropped to my haunches and took a deep breath.

‘What are my options Pasty?’ 

There were twigs and leaves all around my ball but if I moved any there was a very good chance I would move the ball and suffer a penalty. There were 8 foot high bushes in front of me and the only gap was at their base no more than 2 feet off the ground, on top of all that I had no swing. I was fucked!

‘The only thing you can do is to punch a long iron along the floor and hope it reaches the green. This place is in such good nick that you could get lucky. Just make sure you get it out of the trees so we’ve got a chance of an up and down.’

I looked at the leader board; Me, Ernie and Rose were all still at �"6 and had been joined by Trevor Immelmann. There were 4 at �"5. I needed to make no worse than bogie and maybe birdie the last just to finish in the top 5, I looked at the lie again and sighed, I would take bogie in a heartbeat.

‘I’m no worse if I try to lob it over,’ I said to Pasty, ‘I can’t see me keeping anything low enough to get under that bush then get up onto the green.’

Pasty gave me my lob wedge, ‘be positive with it, if nothing else we need to get back in play.’

I stood for a moment trying to visualize the shot. I had a restricted swing that made the shot even tougher with the lob wedge. I gave the lob wedge back to Pasty and took out the putter,

‘I’ve had a vision.’

I knew the putter would never get the ball to the green but it kept the ball low enough that I was clear of the bushes and I chipped and putted for a great bogie. I was still dubious of Ernie even as he congratulated me on the up and down but he made a great birdie and was now 1 clear of the field.

Because I had taken so much time to play my shot the fairway was clear when we reached the last and Ernie fired a drive straight down the middle, thinking of his kids no doubt. I followed him, thinking of what a prick I’d been on the previous hole. Ernie made birdie on the last to as good as sew up the tournament at �"8 but I lipped my putt and had an anxious wait for the last few groups to come in at �"5. As I tapped in I was aware of the situation; Ernie had finished at �"8, Rose was finished at �"6, Immelmann was still on the course at �"7 and there were 2 more at �"6, I was tied for 6th on �"5 and currently not qualified for the Open. I so wanted to s**t in someone’s cap! 

Pasty was off trying to find out what was happening but Ernie came over to shoot the breeze after we had signed our cards.

‘I’m going to owe you if I end up winning this thing you know.’

‘Why?’

‘I was ready to hit driver on 17 but when I saw you I went with the 3 and I’m glad I did. I didn’t think you hit a bad shot, it’s just the adrenaline of these things.’

“To be honest I thought you’d messed me about by getting your driver out.”

Ernie pulled a face. “That’s not me mate, this is still a gentleman’s game.”

I smiled. “I doubt I’d have had your finish anyway but I just hope I make next week.”

“Rose is already in and Trevor Immelman, so am I and I think there are a couple more as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if you qualify for next week if you’re not already in.”

“What do you mean? Isn’t it the top 5 who qualify?”

Ernie laughed. “It’s the top finisher not already qualified.”

Pasty returned with a burger and it all became clear.

“I thought you were off finding out about whether we’ve made next week?”

“Pissed it, there’s no-one near you who’s not exempted but I was starving.” He collected my bag and we made our way towards the clubhouse,

‘It’s a bit ironic really, you having a burger. I thought it would be a pasty.’

Pasty smiled as he piled into his burger and for the first time my stomach settled and I realized that I too fancied something to eat.

Immelmann birdied the last to force an all South African play-off, which Ernie won on the second extra hole but I didn’t really care. I guessed I was heading for the worlds top 100 and was playing in my first Open at the Old Course the following week.

 

ANGUS

 

I waited to congratulate Ernie on his win and we shook hands. He went and did the round of interviews with the press as I collected my details for the following week. I also had to do a couple of interviews as I had been the top home finisher and the press were excited about my form going into the home Major. I didn’t get away from the Course until very late but decided to jump in the hire car and get to St Andrews before the traffic went nuts. I stopped about half way for something to eat as I hadn’t eaten since before I teed off. While I sat in the car eating a sandwich, drinking a cup of takeaway coffee and considering whether I’d be able to find anywhere to stay or would have to sleep in the car, my phone went. It was Bill.

“Hey Bill, you’re not looking for your tickets yet are you?”

He laughed, “No son, where are you?”

“I’m just off the M90 having a break.”
”You’re travelling tonight?”

“I thought I’d beat the traffic.”
”OK, hey I might be able to help you out with somewhere to stay up there. Give me a few minutes and I’ll make a call.”

“Wow Bill, you’re really earning your ticket.”

Bill laughed then hung up. I looked at my watch. It was past nine and I wasn’t holding out any hope of Bill getting back to me. Finding a room anywhere near St Andrews in Open week would be near impossible without some help. If I could find somewhere for the Sunday night I would have more luck once more competitors arrived on the Monday. I was still planning what I would do when my phone went.

It was Bill, “Have you got a pen?”

I looked around the car, “No, I don’t. Do you need me to get one?”

“Don’t worry. Get into St Andrews and find the University then call me and I’ll talk you in to Angus’ place. He’s got a pub with a couple of rooms spare.”

I did as Bill asked and he directed me to a pub not far from the Old Course. I met Angus and Bill told me he would get a flight in the morning. The other room was his. I dropped my travel bag in my room and joined the mob in the bar. Word had got round about me being there and more importantly about my father being a Scot. They welcomed me like one of their own and everyone had some advice on how to tame the Old. When most had left and Angus had a moment to sit down he began to tell me how he knew Bill.

“I’ve known Bill for over forty years.” He rubbed his chin and nodded his head, “1970. I carried his bag when he played the Open here.”

“He told me about that, he finished 56th.”

Angus nodded. “He should have finished a lot better. He shot 80 in the final round. I think he was in the top 20 going in to the final day. After that he concentrated on coaching and gave up his dreams of making any kind of living from the Tour. There wasn’t the money in them days unless you were one of the elite anyway.”

“He wasn’t good enough then?”

“He was one of the best player I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen them all.”

“Wow!”

“He has a swing only a mother could love but its smooth and when he gets back to the ball the face is square and the plane is perfect.” He motioned with his arms.

“So he never tried to qualify for the Open again?”

“I call him every year the Open is here and tell him there’s a room for him. He hasn’t even played the Old Lady since that day. He comes up to visit but never goes to the course.” He pursed his lips. “It’s such a shame because he could still qualify you know, I’m sure he could.”

“He wants tickets!”

“I tell you son, if he’s going to watch you he thinks you’ve got something. He thinks you’ve got what he had and more.”

“Well I’ve had enough advice about how to get the ball round the Old Course from your customers tonight.”

“Take no notice of them.  Every man here has a story about how you get your ball around here but you have to stand on the first tee and feel the breeze on your face; bend down and touch the hallowed turf and then close your eyes. Open your eyes slowly and if you see where you should hit your ball you can play the Links, if not you might as well walk away because she has to suit your eye. It’s why Jack Nicklaus loves it here. It suits his eye.”

“I thought the more you play the Old Course, the better you understand it?”

“When the wind’s howling in off the sea and the rain’s taking the skin from your face but you can still smile on the Old you’ll do just fine.”

“I just hope my form continues.”

“I have two pieces of advice for you: practice your long putting and stay out of the bunkers. A yardage chart‘s useless round here you just have to feel the wind and the shot. Don’t try to be a hero into the wind, just hit more but easier.”

“That’s more than two.”
Angus smiled. “I stopped myself.”

Angus had to serve a group that had just entered the bar while I sat and enjoyed my surroundings. I called Pasty and he confirmed he was okay for somewhere to stay. He was pumped and I got the idea that he was in similar surroundings to me but using the facilities a bit more. I didn’t mind; he had earned his celebration. As I put the phone down Angus re-joined me.

“Good finish at Loch Lomond then?”

“I was lucky that a couple of the guys behind me slipped up worse than I did coming in.”

“I’m understanding why Bill’s on his way up here.”

I wanted to change the subject, “So what happened to Bill on the way back then?”

“I don’t know how to put it in words you’ll understand until you’ve played the Old but she treated him in the worst way on the back nine on Sunday. He dropped shots on 10 and 11 then went after the Old Lady and she fought back. He was 1 over for the round through nine and eventually signed for an 80.”

“Did the wind blow?”

“The wind had blown all day but that wasn’t the problem, he had coped well with the conditions. He fell out of love for the Old Course. I saw it happen and no matter what I said to him I knew it was over. To be honest he could have shot 90! He got up and down from the road bunker but had gone out of bounds from the tee so it was for a six.”

“I can’t imagine him losing his head.”

“He didn’t really lose his head. He just couldn’t see the shots any more.”

I bid Angus goodnight and retired to my room thinking about what I had learned about this mysterious, magical place that is the home of golf. I had an early tee time so I would see for myself soon enough.

 

THE AULD COURSE

 

After I had signed myself in, collected everything I needed from the Pro Shop and taken a deep breath, I stepped out onto the first tee. It was quieter than it would be in a couple of days but, because it was Open week, it was still busy. Since it was Monday I could play alone.

I closed my eyes. I could feel the wind hitting my cheeks. I could hear indiscriminate voices, machines or vehicles and general noise but if you listened carefully you could hear the sound of the sea and the still gentle wind. I opened my eyes and crouched down to feel the hallowed turf. I ran my hand over the grass for quite some time but, unfortunately, the Old Lady did not speak to me. I felt absolutely nothing! Maybe she was waiting for me to put my ball into play.

I didn’t want a caddy and I wasn’t playing a ‘practice round’ I just wanted to play the course as I found it. I knew I would find some pot bunkers and end up on the wrong side of some fairways but I needed to get a handle on this home of golf.

I was going to show the Old Lady respect during our first meeting so I pulled my fairway 3 and hit it about 260 down the middle, short of the Burn on the right but leaving a comfortable wedge to the green. I set my bag next to the ball and checked my yardage, 110 yds middle. I looked down at my perfect lie on the firm links turf, pulled my club, visualized my shot and made a good swing. The ball pitched about pin high and bounced nearly to the back of the green. I pursed my lips. I wasn’t sure whether the Old Lady was keen on me or not. I made a sweet 6 footer for par and felt pretty good about my start.

The second is a blind tee shot and a big bunker awaits a shot too far left but I strayed to far right and caught the rough. I was lucky to avoid the gorse but the longer grass turned my club over and I pulled my approach left. I made another good putt but for a bogie, hmm, the Old Lady still wasn’t talking to me.

I made yet another good putt for par on 3. As pleased as I was that my putter was pretty hot it was disturbing that I was struggling so much in such benign conditions.

I reached the 9th still at +1, I bogied the 4th but birdied 5. I had hit the ball well and I had certainly putted very well but the course certainly hadn’t spoken to me. Yes, it was the home of golf and yes, there was no wind but it wasn’t the life changing experience I had been expecting so far. I was pretty confident so had a crack at the green and was pleased to chip and putt for another birdie.

Strath bunker on the 11th cost me a double but I birdied 12 to claw one back. I dropped another with my first 3 putt on the 14th even though I only had a wedge in for my third! I made straightforward 2 putt pars from distance on the 15th and 16th and was still feeling nothing!

As I approached the 17th tee and saw the Old Course Hotel I got just a touch of a tingling sensation down my back, I wanted to be here late on Sunday. I pulled my driver and took aim, as I was advised the evening before, over the ‘o’ of hotel. There was no wind so my found my ball on the left edge of the fairway with about 170 yds to the middle. My adviser had told me that the shot was short and right, chip and putt. It was good advice and exactly the way to play the hole but this wasn’t a tournament and I wanted to take on the Road Hole. I wanted to see what the Old Lady would do to me when I challenged her. I pulled my 7 iron, since the green is only 13 yards deep and firm I would need to flirt with the infamous bunker in front of the green. I flushed it. I couldn’t have hit it much better and it very nearly made and luckily fell back into the bunker. I had a shot. If my ball had hit the face I’m not sure what I could have done but since it rolled back in I splashed it out and very nearly saved my par.

As I walked to the 18th tee I saw Bill and Angus standing there.

“Hey Bill. Good trip?”

“You got lucky.” He smiled. “If that ball pitches in the face you’re Nakajima.”

“I know. I hit a good drive so wanted to have a dig. I’ve been playing the percentages all the way round.”

“Why didn’t you get a caddy?”

“I just wanted to play it as I see it, take all it throws at me and, you know, size it up.”

“What did it throw at you?”

I pursed my lips. “Nothing really. Maybe when the wind blows it will be different but I just didn’t get it. She didn’t speak to me.”

Angus butted in. “That’s no bad thing laddie. At least you’ll be back.”

Bill continued. “Well then, the last hole. On the clubhouse clock and hit it like you did on 17.”

I hit it very well again, catching the front of the green but three putted for a par. I was happy enough with what I had seen, I had made notes for my real practice round when Pasty turned up but best of all I had survived my first taste of the Old Course. I didn’t tell anyone but I was underwhelmed.

 

We returned to Angus’ place for lunch and a catch up.

“I’m not sure I would have recommended you play the course the way you did but, thinking about it, it wasn’t a bad idea.”

“Thanks Bill. I did use a yardage book though. I’ve played a few Links before so had an idea what to expect. To be honest it was playing pretty easy today without the wind.”

Angus joined in. “It will blow some tomorrow. By the weekend it could get quite interesting.”

“Let’s hope I’m still here.” I laughed.

“It’s a good thing to see the course on a day like today, it gives you a benchmark.” Said Bill.

 

I spent some time on the range in the late afternoon, not anything specific, just to keep doing what seemed to be working.

I spoke to Pasty and he was on his way, he expected to join me for my later tee time on Tuesday. I was playing later and with a young amateur I had bumped into while playing on the Monday. He was local to the area and had played the course many times so I hoped to learn a few tricks. Bill was going to walk round with me too. I was looking forward to it.

That evening the bar much quite a bit busier so after dinner I went for a long walk around the bay and retired early.

I got up early had a light breakfast and went for another walk around the town. It was noticeably busier than the previous morning and I could feel the atmosphere building. 

Pasty joined Bill and I on the range mid morning and told me he was pleased with what he saw. He wanted to get out onto the course and check his notes before we teed off; this would be an official practice round.

We hooked up again on the putting green a short time before I was due to play.

“Don’t you want to get a bit of lunch?”

He shook his head. “I’ve got plenty of time for that tonight. I’m buzzing.” 

I smiled, “I’m not used to being spoiled like this.”

“This isn’t spoiling you. If I could get that thing.” He pointed at a ball like it was the devil himself. “Round the course like you could no-one would beat me. We’re a team and I’m going to do everything I can to make sure you are in a position to win on Sunday.” He paused for breath. “If there is something I haven’t done that means you finish one place lower than where your play gets you I will never forgive myself.”

“Pasty. Not being funny but I don’t understand why you are even bothering with me. With your attitude and work ethic there must be countless big name bags you could get.”

“It’s not the same as it used to be. There are head doctors to sort out their mental game, there are putting, short game and swing coaches, there are f*****g Agents!” He paused again as if stifling even more indignation about Agents. “You don’t have any of that s**t. Not being funny Dan but you are just a genuine guy who is f*****g good at golf. Don’t get me wrong, all these guys are good at golf but not many of them are f*****g good.”

I laughed, “Well Pasty,” I offered my hand, “I promise you I will be as f*****g good as I can possibly be this week.”

Bill arrived.

“Hi Bill, this is Professor Pasty, my caddy.”

Bill extended his hand and Pasty nodded as he shook it. I looked to me that Pasty was suspicious of Bill.

“So Bill, we’re just about to let loose on the Old, are you tagging along?”

Pasty looked at me, Bill looked at Pasty and then he said, “I haven’t been here for a while so I’m going to soak up the atmosphere. Good luck. I’ll be around and about.”

Pasty looked relieved, maybe I was reading something that wasn’t there but I hoped there would be no tension between the two of them.

The practice round went as well as Pasty could have hoped. There was a manageable breeze to contend with which meant the course played quite different to the previous day and he was pleased with how I had coped with it. I hit some high shots downwind and punched some irons into the wind. I found a nice stinger with my fairway wood that would certainly help me if the wind got up. 

My normal routine was to hit one ball at the pin of the day and another to the back of the green. I could then judge, in the current conditions, what I could safely hit and not airmail the green. That wasn’t an option at St Andrews. Quite apart from it being a links course so you had to bounce the ball in, the greens were mostly double greens, and extremely large double greens at that!

“Your yardage chart goes out the window here. This is a shot makers course, you just have to know what club to hit. All we can do is get an idea of where we want you off the tee and what club we need to hit. If the wind gets up you can tear up everything you’ve written down.”

“What’s the forecast?”

“They can never be sure but it’s gonna blow. No doubt about it. That isn’t the problem so much as the driving rain that we may be getting. If you’re at the wrong end of the draw it could be over before it’s begun.”

“I know it’s the home of golf but if the conditions play such a big part in the outcome how can you be sure the right man will win?” I asked in frustration.

Pasty smiled, “This won’t be a putting contest. Whoever is at the top of the leaderboard on Sunday evening will have earned it, trust me.” Pasty looked around and took a deep breath, “this place is golf.”

Pasty was surprised that I had never played St Andrews before this week. I explained that it had never really appealed to me. 

I had played Royal St Georges as a young Amateur and hated it so I dismissed links golf completely. My view was that it was an ancient form of the game from before they had real golf courses and before long no one would play them. I was young and green and stupid. By chance I was invited to play Royal Cinq Ports, which is just along the coast from Royal St Georges. It was a revelation. As you look from the clubhouse you can’t really see the course, it’s as if it is part of the links land. It’s tough to explain unless you’ve played it but you have to step in to the course. The wind was blowing and the waves were crashing over the sea wall but it made such an impression on me that I went back as often as I could. I loved it. 

I had never had the chance to play St Andrews as an Amateur and as a Professional, Touring or otherwise, I was never exempted to play when there was a tournament at there. I had seen snippets on the TV but I wouldn’t watch golf as it just didn’t interest me. Quite apart from any of that though is that on Tour there is not much time to do anything much. You’re travelling, playing, practicing or sorting out everything you should have done while you were travelling, playing or practicing. 

My goal had always been to secure my card for the next year but you can’t just play every week you’re eligible. You would burn out. So it’s a balancing act between playing as much as you can to give yourself as many opportunities to win as possible while avoiding over playing and ending up swinging like an old toilet door.

We got to the 9th and I called Bill over, he had been watching at a comfortable distance.

“So Bill. What do you think?”

He pursed his lips. “As Angus would say, ‘you’ll nae learn a thing the day.’”

Pasty nodded. “Have you played here much Bill?”

Bill shook his head. “Not for a very long time.” Bill retreated, as it was my turn to play. As we walked up the fairway I told Pasty the story about Bill and the Open. 

“He’s not the only one. So how do you know him, is he a relative?”

“No. Would you believe he’s probably the reason I’m here? A very large part of it anyway.”

I told Pasty, over the next couple of holes how Bill took my money in the local event then how we chatted in the bar and about visiting his driving range.

“So you do have a Head Doctor then?” Pasty smiled. 

On the 14th tee he called Bill over and asked him where he suggested I hit the ball. Bill wasn’t sure for a second then Pasty smiled. “He tells me you know your way round here so we’d be a bit silly not asking your opinion.”

Bill nodded and explained what he did, and then he explained that I was a much different and better player than he was so I should do this. Pasty opened his notebook and showed it to Bill.

“Hey Dan. This guy is good.”

I felt like a golf equivalent of Cupid.

I played and the two of them chatted until we got to the 17th. Again I hit a solid drive, leaving 180 yards to the front. 

“Short and right, chip and putt.” Said Pasty, Bill nodded.

“I know how to chip and putt but what if I need to make this shot?”

Pasty shrugged. “You will never need to make this shot. It will bite you. History is littered with the careers of guys who went after this hole but you don’t hear about the ones who gave it the respect it deserves. Seven iron short and right, then chip and putt.”

I hit the 7 iron but didn’t catch it sweet so had to chip over the corner of the bunker. The chip caught the downslope and rolled to the back of the green. I two putted for bogie and was miffed. I had wanted to have a go at it.

“What if bogie costs me the Tournament?”

Pasty didn’t even look up. “It won’t.”

 

BRENDAN MULLEN

 

Thursday couldn’t come quick enough. I had a decent draw, just away from the marquee groups with an American, Steve Stricker and a Japanese player, Shigeki Maruyama. I had a PM tee time and the forecast was for the wind to increase in the afternoon. I hoped they were wrong.

Bill and I sat down to dinner on Wednesday evening. “Well you’re about as ready as you can be.”

“I know. I’m nearly as ready as Pasty. I bet he’s out on the course now checking what particular blades of grass they’ve cut.”

Bill laughed, “If I’d had him I think I may have done better than I did, which is all you can ask of your bag man. You still have to hit the shots. Did you know that he’s been out pretty much constantly since he got here? Either with you or on his own.”

I nodded. “Pretty much. I’ve got to say that if I don’t win this thing now I’ll feel like I’ve let him down. What I don’t understand is why he’s on my bag?”

“Because you have a chance. He knows it, I know it and I bet a lot of the guys here know it.”

“We’ve all got a chance. As you explained it depends on who can do the easy bits at the right time.”
“It’s tough to explain Dan. When someone comes to me for a lesson I will be able to tell you, pretty much, how good they could be. Even if it’s the first time they’ve picked up a golf club I’ll know, because there is just something about the way they pick up, hold and swing the club. Sometimes it just looks right, like they were born to do it. I don’t mean in the same way as Tiger Woods or Seve, but it just fits them.

“Could be?”

“There are distractions. Many, many distractions and they may be good at more than one thing that appeals to them more. There are many reasons why. As you know much better than others that golf is a horrible vindictive game. Just when you think you’ve mastered it, it bites you back. If you play golf you hate the game with every sinew in your body but you remember that 3 iron you hit that sailed high and true and landed 6 feet from the pin. You don’t remember you left the f*****g putt short but you do remember that majestic, almost magical shot you caught right out of the screws.”

“We all have one of them.” I laughed. “Which is yours Bill?”

He smiled. “I remember it like it was yesterday. I was still an amateur; I think I was playing off 3 or 4 at the time. It was a long time ago. It was my first year representing my club in a team event. We were playing against another club and the format was foursomes. As you know a tough, but pure form of golf.”

I nodded. I hated foursomes.

“We were the last match out and the scores were tied. It wasn’t a final or anything!” He laughed. “Just a bloody round match but it was my first time and I didn’t want to let anyone down. The pair we were playing were a bit older than my partner and I and were very good players. I think one was a County player. Anyway, we reached the last, I think you expected that?”

I nodded and smiled.

“The guys we were playing were big hitters and I never have been.”

“Further back from the middle of the fairway rather than behind a tree.” I interrupted.

“Precisely. Anyway, they had bombed it down this par 5 and maybe had a 5 or 6 iron in. I had no doubt that they would reach in 2. My partner had hit a good drive but I was looking at a 3 wood.” He raised his finger at me. “Not a metal, a proper laminate 3 wood. I think it was a Ping but I can’t remember. It was a narrow green and there was water on the left, plus everything kicked to the left if you landed short.”

“A tough shot!”

He nodded, “My partner told me to lay up, he would wedge it close and we could make birdie the hard way. I didn’t answer him. I saw the ball leave the clubface, rise into the dog shaped cloud, maybe just to the top of it, then drop just short of the right side of the green and kick on to 8 feet.” 

He sat there staring into thin air for some time before I asked him.

“So? Did you hit it to 8 feet?”

He picked up his drink and took a big swig. “No, I topped it into the drink but I did make the putt for a five and we halved the hole. I think we lost the play-off though. I can’t really remember.” He laughed. “Danny, I’m not a dreamer. I have bills to pay and I do that by teaching kids to play this horrible game. In the nicest possible way this week is like a holiday for me. I really hope you win but either way I will be trying to cure Brendan Mullen’s shank on Monday. 

“Well I hope I have a shot to remember from this week.”

“My best advice to you is to enjoy yourself. Not many guys get the chance to play in the Open, especially here. I hope it’s not a once in a lifetime opportunity for you like it was for me but, perish the thought, if it is you need to remember it fondly.”

We both stood up.

“Seriously. I am really looking forward to tomorrow.”

We shook hands and bid Angus goodnight. The bar was still busy so all Angus could do was nod in our direction.

 

BOBBY JONES

 

I woke early on Thursday and turned on the TV. The coverage had started at 9am and the conditions looked good. There was a light manageable breeze and there was bright sunshine. A few players had taken advantage and were a couple under par early. I just hoped the weather held.

By the time I reached the course, a couple of hours ahead of my tee time the leader was at -4. I heard that the wind had been getting steadily stronger through the morning and the word around was that it would still be the lead by the end. The late morning starters were finding the course a bit tougher; the scores were maybe a shot higher. I could handle that but more would make it difficult to stay in touch. I had to get the ball round then take advantage when I had an early start on Friday. I met Pasty.

“Well, what do you think?”

He pursed his lips, “There’s a low drifting about that is getting closer so the wind is going to get up and we could get some rain. Not the best but we can do this.”

I spent some time on the range and the swing was just OK. Maybe the nerves were kicking in but I hadn’t hit many out of the middle. That would be a problem around here, especially if the wind got up. The positive thing was that I was killing my driver. On my way to the putting green a TV reporter who wanted an interview stopped me.

“So Dan. What can we expect from you this week?”

I smiled, “I wish I knew! I’m just glad I’m here.”

“It looks like you have got the rough end of the draw. The wind looks to be picking up.”

“It’s the same for everyone, not just me. We all expected a bit of wind at some point this week.” I exaggerated a smile as if to say, that’s all; I’ve got to go and moved on towards the putting green.

Pasty met me there. “I’m not sure that will get you on the TV Dan.” He laughed.

“I don’t want to be on the TV walking to the first tee, I want to be on the TV collecting the Claret Jug.”

We met Steve and Shigeki on the tee and waited for Ivor Robson to announce us.

“This is the 1.45 tee time. For England; Daniel Pinner.”

I walked forward and took a couple of practice swing while the applause died down. I was second to play; Shigeki had hit it straight down the middle. I stood over the ball and as I reached my right hand to grip the club I could see it was shaking. Either I had never noticed before or it had never happened before. I took my grip and settled my stance. I just thought wide and low as I took the club away and followed Shigeki down the middle. I was away.

“Shot!” Pasty said as he collected my club. 

Pasty had packed enough for a safari weekend into the bag. I shuddered to think what was in there but I could hardly move it. Not that he would let me near it! I was sure the strap was going to break.

“My brother is a labourer on a building site, he shifts bags heavier than this all day, every day and gets paid f**k all.”

Case closed. You just can’t argue with that.

We reached our balls and it was Steve to play. He hit about a third up the green and bounced to the back. I was next.

“That green is pretty firm Pasty, what do you think?”

“You’ve got 100 front so it’s a smooth Sand Wedge but I’m worried it will spin.”

“100? I don’t have to kill it so it should just sit.”

Pasty passed me the sand wedge and I caught it a touch thin on the firm links turf. The ball pitched over the water but dug it’s toes in and sucked back into the Burn. I didn’t get up and down so it cost me a double. Shigeki, like Steve, played to the heart of the green. I was pretty pissed.

“It’s one hole. I’d prefer it to happen now rather than Sunday.”
“If it keeps happening there won’t be a f*****g Sunday, or a Saturday.”
Pasty took my arm and in a very quiet voice he said. “Let it go Dan, you need to focus.”

I took a deep breath. I held it together on the front 9, nothing spectacular but the conditions had worsened. The cloud cover had increased, the temperature had dropped and there was rain in the air. I reached the 9th at +2 which was O.K. since Shigeki was now +4 and Steve was with me at +2. No one was making any moves since the weather had turned; it was a time to hold on to your hat and your score. I would have happily taken +2 if it had been offered to me but I still had 10 holes to go. I had been driving very well and the 9th was playing downwind so was a birdie chance.

“I’m gonna have a crack at it Pasty.”

Pasty agreed. I needed to make something happen. I knew I’d nailed it as soon as it came off the club. Just to the right side of the green and it looked long enough but as it pitched it kicked left and I knew I had found one of the pot bunkers in the middle of the fairway. It’s not possible to reach the green from the bunkers but I nearly rescued my par, missing from 6 feet.

 I made good pars on 10 and 11 before getting my account in credit on 12 with my first birdie. The rain had started as I played my second shot into 12 and had got steadily heavier as we approached the green so Pasty had to work overtime to keep everything dry. The wind had got up and it was pretty miserable so I was glad I had such a good caddy.

I made a great 2 putt par on 13 then played the par 5 14th as a three shotter after a poor tee shot. I missed decent birdie chances on 15 and 16 so reached the 17th tee still at +2. It was a respectable score in much tougher conditions faced by the afternoon players. Steve had played as well as anyone on the back 9 and was holding at +3 but Shigeki had struggled with the conditions and was now at +6. He was by no means out of it but he would have to play well on Friday just to make the cut.

With the wind up it was a fearsome drive. I caught it as well as I could but when I reached my ball it was in pretty thick rough 220 yards from the green. I had no choice but to wedge it back to the fairway. I left myself 120yards to the green, went slightly long with a punched 9 iron and three putted for a nasty double bogie 6. I was furious with myself on the 18th tee. Two f*****g doubles and I only fucked up 3 holes all day in s**t conditions but now I’d have to shoot the lights out just to make the weekend.

“S**t happens Dan. Let’s focus here. You still have a chance to get one or two back.”

I looked at Pasty in disbelief. What the f**k was he on? He passed me the driver without even looking at me. “Low and slow.” He said.

There was a bit of aggression in the drive but I caught it, luckily. I hit the green and two putted for a face saving birdie. My lunch would taste a bit better.

I calmed down for my TV interview, telling them how tough it was playing, how difficult 17 was, how I thought I’d hit a good drive yadda, yadda yadda…

Pasty was back out on the course in case he could learn anything else while I was having lunch with Bill. I was waiting for the telling off.

“Well come on Bill. I deserve it.”

“You still don’t get it.”

“I don’t get what?”

“There are guys who shot in the 80’s this afternoon. One guy shot 90! It was bloody tough out there and you made maybe 2 mistakes.”

“Yes. Two doubles!”

Bill shook his head. “They weren’t the mistakes.”

I didn’t understand, he continued, “you lost your head twice that I saw.”

“Yes. After the doubles.”

“Your caddy had to calm you down, that’s not his job. He’s carrying your bag. He doesn’t need to carry you too.”

“I wear my heart on my sleeve, I can’t help it.”

“Bobby Jones used to throw clubs as a kid. I do believe that geniuses have to have a bit of madness or an eccentricity about them. It’s what makes them who they are but it needs to be controlled. Tempered, if you will. You got away with your aggression after your perceived mistakes because you were driving so well. I couldn’t do it and I’m sure you wouldn’t be able to do it all the time but consider it a lesson learned. Dan, you need to be able to calm those emotions because you will never think clearly when you have that much anger trying to get out.”

“I’ve always been the same. My dad stopped coming to watch me when I was a kid because he couldn’t reach me when I went into one. My mum used to come with me but I couldn’t do any wrong by her. She loved me to bits and no matter what I did she would hug me and say well honey, you did your best. That would drive me mad because I knew I could do better.” I smiled as I remembered my mother. I sighed. “Then my brother started caddying for me and if I kicked off he’d hit me.”

Bill looked at me. 

I laughed. “Seriously! I stopped losing my rag because if I did my brother would slap me until I calmed down. It worked.”

“Partially.” Said Bill

“Oh no! It worked. You should have seen me then. I was a bloody nightmare.”

We continued to chat for a while before I went to the range. I needed to keep my swing smooth and sweet.

I met Pasty in front of the scoreboard.

“What do you think?”

“Could be a lot worse. You’re only 7 shots back even though there are 50 in front of you. We’ll wake up to sunshine and tropical conditions tomorrow and take this place apart.” He smiled but we had both seen the forecast. The conditions were set to worsen overnight and not improve before the morning.

 

As it happened there was a brief respite for the latest starters and I had slipped another few places. I’d had a rough draw but I wasn’t alone and some of the guys who played at the same time as me had really blown up badly, there were some cricket scores up there.

Pasty and I worked on the range for a couple of hours and worked out a couple of niggles in my swing. It felt much better. 

I spoke to Justin Parsons who had a new caddy. He told me that it just hadn’t worked out with Archie and he had let him go. Justin was +8 even though he had a morning tee time so he was struggling to make the cut. I knew he had parted with Archie as I had seen him earlier in the week on the bag of a promising young Amateur, who was also at +8. My score didn’t look quite so bad after all but I would need a decent round in the morning to make sure I was playing at the weekend.

 

GANDIEGOW

 

I was woken several times in the night by the wind, which was ominous for the morning. If it didn’t die down it would be brutal.

It hadn’t died down by the time I reached the first tee but was set to ease through the day. In equity I hoped whatever conditions we faced in the morning continued through the day.

I had spoken to Pasty and assured him that I wouldn’t lose my head and he smiled.

“I couldn’t give a rats arse if you lose your head as long as it doesn’t affect your golf and it didn’t yesterday.”

The same as Thursday I smashed my drive down the middle, hit the middle of the green and two putted for par. I smiled at Pasty as we walked to the second tee.

I attacked where I could and made some great pars to keep my score going on the front 9 to stay at +3 at the turn. Many players were finding it really tough going in the dreadful conditions so I was delighted with my play. While waiting to play from one tee I did reflect on how I had seen this course the first time and wanted it to talk to me. Now it was shouting at me. It was shouting what the hell are you doing out here you mad man! 

It was a battle. Just holding my number meant I was creeping up the leaderboard. I thought that if I could just get in at less than maybe +5 and the conditions continued all day I really fancied my chances of making a big move. When I stuck my ball in Strath bunker on 11 and made a double that thought went out of my mind. I couldn’t believe it! I had battled through the whole front 9 and on the shortest hole on the course I make a really bad swing. I wafted my iron and it flew too high and settled in a very tough spot. I lost just a little bit of concentration and didn’t fully commit to the shot. To make matters worse the rain had stopped and the wind was dropping. The sun was even trying to come out. I had to hold myself together as all was not yet lost. I just had to get this score in. I missed a great birdie chance on 12 then bogied 13. My heart sank. The cut was currently at +6 and could come down if conditions continued to improve.

Pasty passed me my driver on the 14th tee. “Smash f**k out of it!” He said.

I did. I don’t know how I missed all the bunkers but I left myself an iron to the green. I missed my eagle but tapped in for birdie. I gritted my teeth. I made a regulation par at 15 and was already thinking about the 17th when I approached the 16th tee. I wasn’t getting much help from my group, Shigeki had long since missed any chance of making the cut and Steve was struggling with his driving. He was still in it by the skin of his teeth, or rather by the stroke of his putter. He had made some great putts to save pars and was at +7. He would need something to happen but still had a chance of making the cut. I did consider that he was only a double bogie behind me! That was until I birdied the 16th. At +1 for the day I was shooting the lights out but I still had to play the 17th hole. I stood on the tee, took a deep breath and released it slowly; I took my grip and relaxed my hands. Low and slow. I hit it perfectly. I couldn’t have hoped for a better swing.

“Shot!” Said Pasty

I got to my ball and it was in the middle of the fairway. The rain had stopped and the wind had dropped, I had 190 yards to the front and a good lie.

“What do you think?” I asked

Pasty looked at me. “Short and right, chip and putt.”
“But I’m ripping it Pasty. I can do this.”

He put his notes away. “We need to make the cut or we’re going home. I haven’t come this far to watch you chopping around in the f*****g road hole bunker then going home to watch someone else pick up the Claret Jug on Sunday. This Tournament hasn’t even started yet so let’s put our score in and see what happens.”

I smiled “You just had to say no.”

I hit a seven iron to the front right, just where I wanted it, and I even hit a good chip but missed the putt. I tapped in for bogie.

I again managed to birdie the last to finish at +4. In the conditions it was a great score and I was definitely in for the weekend but the sun had come out and the players were loving the conditions on the course, it was softer than it had been and even though there was still some wind it was nowhere near what it was earlier in the day, or the previous afternoon for that matter.

I had played very well, but for the mistake on 11 I would have shot under par on a morning when the average score was +5 which was fantastic but I was just after a finish now, I was too far back. If I continued to play well I was still set to make a very good cheque. Definitely better that Bill had made 40 years ago!

I spent a bit of time on the range then insisted Pasty went back to his digs and got some sleep. He looked utterly shattered. He had wanted to go back out on the course but I explained that he needed to rest or he would be no use to me. 

I spent some time chatting to some of the other players around the scoreboard. The leaders weren’t really getting away. There was still enough wind to make the course play difficult and it was much different to how it had played for them the day before. As bad as they were the conditions were pretty similar both days for me so by the end I was used to them, if that was possible.

I met Bill for lunch. He had only watched the front 9 and then had disappeared when the weather set in.

“I don’t like the rain.” He said

“With these modern waterproof suits you hardly notice.” I said. 

I had been kitted out with the latest Footjoy waterproofs.

“I notice.” He said with a smile.

“I’m surprised the late guys aren’t ripping this place up. It’s like a Summer’s day out there.” I said

“It’s like a new course for them. They’ve gone from no wind and bouncy to windy and soft. I know it’s not as windy as the morning or yesterday afternoon but it’s still significant.”

Angus came over and took my hand. “You played some great golf out there son. You must have links in your blood.”

I didn’t want to tell him the truth.

“I hit it good and made a few putts.”

“We all wish we could do just that.” He smiled then wandered back to serve more customers.

I looked at the TV. “I’m not sure +4 will be too far away by the end of today.”

 

By the end of the day I was 9 shots back but the leader was 2 clear. Lee Westwood had shot 68 to take a 2 shot lead. It was the best score of the day when only 6 players broke par. Realistically you needed to exclude the leader’s score which put me 7 shots behind with 2 rounds to go. The cut had come at +7 but by that time both Steve and Shigeki were on their way home.

Later that evening I found out I would be playing at 12.20 with Vijay Singh. When I told Pasty he was delighted. “Vijay has a great swing, a great tempo and he is a gentleman.”

He also spends an inordinate amount of time on the range so has a similar work ethic to Pasty; they were a match made in heaven.

 

VIJAY SINGH

 

The wind was still up in the morning and was set to get stronger through the day according to the forecast. The morning starters definitely seemed to be taking advantage so I was eagerly waiting for my tee time so I could get out there and see what I could do. I got to the range quite a bit earlier than expected and found out that Pasty had been out on the course for quite some time. Vijay was on the range. He had also been there for quite some time.

“Hi Vijay. I’m Dan.”

“Hi Dan. Nice play yesterday.” Vijay had been on the other side of the draw.

“I hope I hit it as good today.”

Vijay smiled and went back to hitting six irons with his left hand, then his right, then both. I could have watched it for ages but I needed to warm up.

 

I went through my warm up routine and stretched before pulling out my sand wedge. Thin. Not just a little thin. I knifed it. I pursed my lips as I inspected the club then put it back in the bag. 

The sand wedge has bounce to help you get the ball out of the sand, what that means is that the bottom edge is lower than the top so when it hits the sand it bounces and doesn’t dig in. That means that you don’t actually aim at the ball when it is in the bunker. You aim a couple of inches behind and lay the face of the club open so that the bounce means your ball should come out on a cushion of sand. Should. Due to the club having this bounce it is possible to catch the ball a bit thin on the firm links soil. Not as thin as I’d caught it but I’d just made a bad swing. I took out my Pitching Wedge. Thin. The Pitching Wedge doesn’t have f*****g bounce and that was an even worse swing. The player beside me was looking at me and smiling. He didn’t need to s**t in my cap.

I didn’t want to hit another ball so took out my phone and called my brother.

“Hi Pete. Are you coming today?”

“We’re already here.”

“O.K. where are you?”

“Out on the course, don’t worry we’ll be back to the first by 12.20.” He paused. “So how are you Danny? How is the swing?”

I whispered. “That’s why I called. I just got to the range and I’ve knifed the first two balls I’ve hit. I don’t want to hit any more until my caddy gets here so I picked up my phone. Your number was the last one I called.”

He laughed. “Hey Dan, you’ll be fine. I’m sure it’s nothing; just give it a minute and stretch a bit more. Do you want me to come over?

I thought for a moment, it was tempting. “No. It’s O.K. I just needed an excuse to stop hitting balls. You shouldn’t have a phone on the course though.” I smiled

“Don’t tell anyone.”

We chatted until I saw Pasty coming on to the range. He rushed up to me.

“I’ve heard you’re hitting your wedge like a f*****g 4 iron!”

I put the phone down. “For f***s sake! Nothing gets past you lot here does it? I knifed a couple of sand wedges, that’s all. Then my brother called me.”

Pasty pulled out my 7 iron. “Are you warmed up?” 

I nodded then put the club behind the ball and made a great swing, a soft high draw. Phew!

“I thought we had a f*****g Tin Cup moment there!” 

“So did I.” I laughed.

 

12.20 tee time, from England Daniel Pinner. There was a round of applause and I smashed it down the middle. 3 birdies and a bogie got me to the turn in -2 and in pretty good shape at +2 for the Tournament. The leaders had only just gone out but no one was going deep so I was climbing up the leaderboard. I needed to keep car crashes off my card and take some chances to give myself a shot going in to the final day. Because the conditions had improved for the morning players but was worsening through the day the field was bunching up; there were a lot of guys who now thought they were in with a shot. Lee Westwood was still 2 clear at -5 playing the sixth so I was catching him, albeit slowly.

I might have been able to have a crack at the 10th but unlike on the range, I was hitting my wedges well so I layed up, stuck it close and rolled it in for another birdie. No one on the course was scoring better than me so I was almost back in contention. I just had to bring it in. By the 12th the wind was definitely getting stronger and the sun had gone in. Again there seemed to be rain in the air. Justice would be served if it got no worse until I reached the clubhouse then the heavens opened but that was not to be. The rain started on the 13th and got consistently worse as we made our way through the back 9. I had kept my head on but the course was biting back, I dropped a shot at 13, didn’t birdie the par 5 14th or the 15th or 16th so I approached the 17th at +2 for the Tournament, -2 for the day. I again hit a good drive and found the left side of the fairway. I had 195yds to the front. I looked at Pasty and I was certain that he deliberately didn’t look up so I pulled out the 6 iron and hit it short right. I hit a pretty poor chip that rolled to the back of the green but almost made the putt, but it horseshoed out. 

I stood on the 18th tee and I was determined. I had battled all the way round and was still at -1 for the day, definitely one of the best rounds from the later starters. 

The TV cameras as well as an on course reporter had been following me since the middle of the back 9 so I wanted to do something special. Pasty handed me the driver and I made a good takeaway but snatched from the top of the swing and smothered the ball into the valley of sin. I made a great 2 putt from 80 feet for my birdie and signed for a 70 which left me six shots behind Lee Westwood. All the players in front of me were still on the course. By this time the wind was blowing quite consistently and the rain was pretty heavy so I doubted I’d be further back when all the cards were on the table. 

 

I was right. By close of play Sergio Garcia was leading in the clubhouse at -2 and there were five players at -1 including Westwood. I was tied for 10th and would be playing with a tall American called Matt Kuchar. 

Pasty was pleased with our position as we discussed it over dinner with Bill. I had decided to treat him, as I doubted he was eating properly.

“You’ll be getting out before it goes a bit crazy for the last few groups, Kuch is a nice guy from what I’ve heard and you’re hitting it nicely. Sweet.” He said as he tucked in to his Steak and Ale pie and chips.

“You’ve grown up a lot this week Dan.” Said Bill. “I wouldn’t be surprised if you made something happen tomorrow.”

“I only have one niggle.” I said. They both looked at me. I clenched my teeth. “17! I hate that f*****g hole.”

Bill smiled, “You’re not the only one!”

“I’m sitting at +2 and I’m 4 over for 17! I just hope it doesn’t ruin my week for me.”

Bill and Pasty were silent.

 

THE AULD LADY

“Daniel Pinner.” Big round of applause and I smash it down the middle, again, thankfully.

I had played safe on the front 9 the whole week but the early starters had made a few birdies. The conditions were similar to the previous morning, there was a significant but not excessive breeze and it was forecast to remain the same all day. No advantage to anyone.

Pasty and I had spoken on the range and decided that if I were hitting it well I would take any chances to attack on the front 9. I needed to make a move given the amount of bodies in front of me. Not all of them would be coming back.

I missed a chance for birdie at the first but saved a good par at the second I made a good putt for a birdie on the third but a poor drive cost me a shot on the 4th. I again made a birdie at the 6th that I had played well all week and parred to the 9th tee. I had not really made a significant move but luckily neither had anyone else. Sergio had been joined at -3 but I had closed on him albeit by just one shot. 

I pulled my driver and ripped one at the right side of the green. I heard a Scottish voice in the crowd say good shot and hoped they knew better than me. I expected the big kick to the left and into the bunker but it sailed straight and true. I found the front edge and was faced with a 30 foot eagle putt. A birdie would get me back to level for the tournament, which was a milestone, but an eagle would really get me in the mix. I drew the putter back and immediately knew I’d hit it too hard; it sailed 10 feet past the cup. My head dropped, I may even miss the birdie. 

I sat on my haunches behind the ball while Matt putted, missed for birdie but made par. He had taken more chances and was sitting at level par already. I desperately wanted to join him. I closed my eyes then opened them again slowly; I had seen the ball go past the hole but at quite a speed. Could I trust the read? Pasty was hovering but I couldn’t hear him. I reached down and touched the grass beside my shoe. It was slightly damp, I don’t know if it was the remnants of the rain or the morning dew but I could feel it cooling my hand. It was a strange sensation like my arm was cooling down, then my shoulder and my neck. I felt a calmness come over me. I stood up, took my stance, relaxed my hands and rolled it in, centre cup. Pasty jumped what looked like 10 feet in the air and the crowd went nuts. After all I was a Scot!

As we walked to the 10th tee I turned to Pasty. “I’m not sure but I think the Old Lady just spoke to me.”

He didn’t hear me.

 

SERGIO GARCIA

 

The Back nine on Sunday is what everyone plays for; it’s when the Tournament really starts. All any Competitor asks is that he has a chance to win going in to the back nine. It makes you or it breaks you. I may have been in the mix as I hit it down the 10th, when I rolled my birdie putt in I was absolutely in it. I was under the card for the first time that week and I had just made a big move. 

 

Sergio was now at -4 on his own and still had to play 9 and 10, which were definite birdie chances. Henrik Stenson was at -3; Lee Westwood had recovered to -2 with Jason Duffner; I was at -1 with Adam Scott and everyone else was playing catch up.

“What do you think it will take Pasty?”

He thought. “Ask me after the 13th.”

I birdied 12 to get to -2 then made a great save on 13 before I looked at Pasty again.

“I don’t know.” He said. “You need to post a score but I just don’t know what that score is, sorry.”

While we waited on the tee I looked at the leaderboard. 

A lot of players don’t like to look at leaderboards, they just want to put in the best score they can, which I understand, but I like to know what I’ve got to do and where I am. Sergio was still at -4 and he had been joined by Stenson but they had both played the 10th so had missed an opportunity. Adam Scott was the leader in the clubhouse at -2 so I needed at least one more birdie, probably more and I was running out of holes.

I hit a great drive on the 14th which yielded yet another birdie and put me within touching distance of the lead. I was the only one on the course making a move so I had TV cameras and a huge crowd following my group. Matt’s birdies had dried up and he was marking time at level par for the tournament. I didn’t get close to birdieing the 15th or 16th so was still at -3 as I reached the 17th tee. I looked at the leaderboard and Stenson was now one clear of Sergio and I at -4. They were playing the 14th.

I pulled out my driver and again hit it solid just like I had all week. I knew I’d be on the fairway about 190 yards from the green. When we reached my ball I found that I was 2 yards out, I had caught it a bit better that I though and only had 188 yards to the front. I turned to Pasty and he was looking at me.

“You’re gonna ask me again.” He said. 

I smiled. “I don’t think Stenson is coming back to me so I have to make something happen. This is my moment Pasty.”

“It’s not the shot.”

“I know but I’ve played it safe all week and dropped a s**t load of shots. I’ve got a chance here; I’m sitting on the short stuff with a good look at the green and an iron in my hand. I need to play this shot. No one remembers who comes 2nd Pasty. I may never get a chance like this again.”

Pasty checked his notes. “It’s a smooth 5 but that won’t stop. You’ve got to lean all over a six. You’ve got to get all of it onto the front of the clubface and it’s got to be good to you. Pray to God! Let’s hope she talked to you.” He gave me the six and pulled the bag away. I could see he had his fingers crossed.

I looked at him. He had heard me walking to the 10th tee.

I stood behind the ball picturing the shot. I could see it come off the clubface and soar high. Then I stopped. There was a cloud that looked like a dog! What did that mean? I shook my head. I saw the ball carry the bunker just left of the pin, take one bounce then suck back to six feet.

I took my stance, wiggled my toes, relaxed my fingers, looked up at the target, took the club back as slowly as I dared, made absolutely sure I stretched to the top of the backswing then, when I could stand it no more I released the energy and watched the ball sail high towards the pin. It was as well as I’d ever hit a six iron and it was absolutely the right club for the shot. I watched as it reached the top of the dog shaped cloud then started down, still bang on target. Then I heard Pasty.

“Get up!”

It hit the top of the bunker, took a bounce forward then sat for a second before it started to roll back. The whole crowd sighed as it fell into the road hole bunker.

“You nailed it. It was a bad club. Sorry.”

I looked around at the crowd and saw Bill. He was looking straight at me.

Pasty was already at the bunker when I got there, I had carried the six iron all the way with me. We waited while Matt chipped but his ball went to the back of the green.

I looked at my lie. At least it was in the middle of the bunker but all I could think about was the knifed wedges on the range. As I pulled the sand wedge I looked at Pasty, he was beside himself; almost in tears and gritting his teeth.

I made a couple of practice swings then climbed down into the bunker just as Nakajima and Duval had done before, both thinking exactly the same as me. It’s just a bunker shot, a simple swing and flop it out, just make sure you get it out!

I took my stance and felt the sand under my feet, it was firm, and especially after the rain we had for the previous couple of days. It would be tough to keep the face open in such firm sand. I had made sure to bring a sand wedge without too much bounce; which would help. I decided on how much sand I would take and made a good swing. I saw the ball come out as if it was in slow motion. I saw it pass the lip and head towards the pin but it didn’t actually pass the lip but it just clipped it and fell back into the bunker to almost where it had been. I climbed out of the bunker and gave the club to Pasty to clean. There was a murmur spreading through the crowd. I didn’t want to be another name on the list of those who had succumbed to the Road Hole bunker for f***s sake. 

Pasty gave me the club back. I was now determined, this f*****g ball was coming out, maybe I could still make five. Please! No worse than six. 

I settled myself and knew what I was going to do. I hadn’t hit the first shot hard enough because I was trying to flip it out and get up and down for par. I had tried to be too clever. Not this time. I made an almost full turn with the clubface wide open and took about two inches behind the ball. It was definitely coming out! The ball came out straight at the flagstick but I’d hit it too hard! It would surely be on the road. As the ball reached the flagstick there was a big gust of wind and the flag blew open and straight, straight out to where my ball was about to pass it. 

The ball hit the flag and dropped straight down in what seemed like slow motion. It took one bounce then the spin caught and it fell into the cup with a click.

The crowd had gone deathly silent while I was playing my shot but as the ball dropped they erupted. In his excitement Pasty stepped but almost fell into the bunker on top of me. I was sure he had hurt himself. I was in a daze as I walked on to the green and retrieved my ball, a surreal moment.

After the chaos had subsided Matt two putted for bogie from the back of the green then, being a gentleman, he shook my hand and said, great shot!

“Great result. Not such a great shot!” I laughed.

By the time we walked to the 18th tee the green was clear. I wasn’t sure I was ready to hit but I went through my routine and made a good swing, not my best, but it was solid. 

Crossing the Swilken Bridge as we headed towards the 18th green gave me a pretty large lump in my throat and a fair shiver down my spine. The crowd were applauding loudly, most having witnessed my unusual, and only, par of the week on the 17th. I was moved and touched and felt more Scottish than I ever had before. I was also beginning to understand the magic of this particular slice of Links land where they have been playing golf for half a millenia.

 

I didn’t make the green and was too far away to putt it so I needed to hit a good chip and run. As I was still 1 shot behind Stenson I knew I needed at least birdie. I hit a good chip but it checked a bit too much and I left myself 10 feet away, across the slope. 

As I walked forward to mark my ball I knew that no matter what had gone before I knew this was the most important shot of my life. Matt had hit the green and had already two putted for his birdie as I got down on my haunches behind the ball. I closed my eyes and put my had down to touch the grass beside my shoe. It was dry. There was no sensation of coolness in my hand or anywhere else. I opened my eyes and looked at the line. It was going to break to the left but I couldn’t see how much. I took my stance, relaxed my grip and hit a good putt that died just left and lipped out low. I tapped in for par, shook Matt’s hand warmly and walked towards the scorer’s tent. 

Pasty caught me. “Stenson bogied 16.” He said. “You him and Garcia are tied but they still have to play the 17th.”

“She didn’t talk to me Pasty.” I said as I walked into the scorer’s tent.

I watched Garcia and Stenson play 17 on the monitor in the scorer’s tent. Both had hit great drives and both had played short and right. Stenson chipped to maybe 8 feet but missed the putt. Garcia chipped closer and saved his par. I went outside to watch them play the last hole. Garcia hit a solid drive but didn’t make the green; Stenson absolutely ripped it and hit it to about 25 feet. He got a fully deserved round of applause as he approached the green. He had been one clear playing the 16th but had hit a poor drive, which cost him the lead and possibly the tournament.

Garcia stood over his chip; he looked incredibly calm. He hit his chip to about the same place as I did. 

Stenson 2 putted for birdie to join me as Bill joined me in front of the clock. “Shouldn’t you be on the range?”

“Do you know what Bill? She didn’t talk to me. She did on the 9th but not on the 18th.”

He smiled. “You have made history today Dan. Your save on 17 will be the stuff of legend.”

I smiled but I was watching Sergio. He was on his haunches over his ball and his hand was on the grass. His eyes were closed. I could see she was talking to him. 

I turned away and walked towards the clubhouse. I knew he would make the putt even before I heard the roar. Bill had followed me.

“Some days no matter how well you play someone just plays better than you.”

I stopped and turned to Bill. “I’m not unhappy Bill but I now know what everyone means about this place. There is a magic here and today I got a taste of it, a small taste.”

“And you are runner up in the Open Championship. Don’t forget that.”

“No matter what else happens in my life I don’t think I ever will.” I shook Bill’s hand. “Now go and cure Brendans shank.”

 

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2014 Gary Brady


Author's Note

Gary Brady
I have to apologize in advance for the layout. I know there are a multitude of problems but I hope you can see through that to the story beneath.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
Added on September 19, 2014
Last Updated on October 10, 2014
Tags: golf, personal achievement, sports, short story

Author

Gary Brady
Gary Brady

Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom



About
I have been writing for fun since I was about 18 which was a long time ago. I have a load of unfinished projects so I decided that if I have an outlet to publish it may inspire me to complete what I h.. more..

Writing
Summer Summer

A Story by Gary Brady


Buds Buds

A Screenplay by Gary Brady