Autumn Without You

Autumn Without You

A Story by Brittany Defranco
"

A short story or Novella I did with KCthelastboyscout

"

Staring at our picture in the sun room on this crisp morning, a tear stains my cheek as I pray. I pray for you, I pray that I'll die soon so that we may be together once again. This is the first autumn without you, my love. I walk around this big empty house, it echoes every memory we share. Our high school years as sweethearts, our 20's and 30's hanging up on the walls, and the childern we share. My favorite time was when I had a part of you and me growing inside my belly.


Our childern are grown with their own childern, but live so far away. I feel nothing but lonliness. They visited when you went away and gave their greatest of sympathies. But even they cannot give me what you can. It is not the same.

Even as the our favorite season rains down colorful leaves, even as the sun shines bright, and the dew stains the bright green grass, I can not believe that you are gone forever. I walk towards the backyard everyday you are supposed to come home to me from the work you love to do so much. I see the marble stone engraved with your name, “A Loving Husband and Father” it said below.


I can't sleep, knowing that you are not beside me. I can't eat knowing that you are not sitting across from me. I can't enjoy the little things anymore knowing that you can no longer here to enjoy them either. My chest tightens, it's harder to breathe as I drop to my knees next to your grave in our backyard. Holding the marble grave, I cry, and cry out to God. Why? Why did He have to take you away from me? Why not me instead? Why not together? We have spent many decades together alive. If I have one request, it is that I with you.


* * *


Cool mornings. Breezy afternoons. Cold nights. The signs of autumn. Our favorite time of year. Falling leaves. Grey skies. The smell of wood burning in the fireplace. Memories of the past. Love lasts forever, but life is temporary.I passed away an old, fragile man and left you alone. Now pieces of my soul are connected to everything in the living world. Plants and trees. Insects and birds. I'm even part of the sun that shines upon you. But nothing can replace being at your side. Holding your hand. Touching your face. Be patient my love. I can hear your prayers. Do not wish for godspeed for us to be together. Enjoy this life. In this time, in this world. When the autumn wind becomes harsh, think of me. The thought of us will keep you warm and I will be with you always.

© 2017 Brittany Defranco


Author's Note

Brittany Defranco
Please review, and look at the stories and poems KCthelastboyscout does too.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on November 3, 2017
Last Updated on November 3, 2017
Tags: elderly, death, love, afterlife, God, KCthelastboyscout, prose, novella, short, story, autumn, fall

Author

Brittany Defranco
Brittany Defranco

MD



About
Hey, I'm Brittany and I'm a 25 year old red-head. I love writing and I've been on this site before, but it's been a few years. So I decided to make a new account and start anew. I also write to .. more..

Writing