I Wrote This For You

I Wrote This For You

A Story by Brittany Defranco
"

The struggles of a military family.

"

Cold frosty mornings, snow up to my ankles, Yule is here, right before Christmas. I took out a letter, I wrote this for you, but you're not here. I look out the window again, waiting for your return. Though I'm not sure that you'll come. Our child asks everyday, “When is Daddy coming home?” And each day I don't know.


Will you come home? I want to send this letter out to you today, but every time I try, I fear I will just jinx you to never come back. Today is the day, I pick up the pack of letters that I wrote my heart out to you. My love, I need to know, it's hard for me that I can not see you every single day. I wrote these letters, pouring out all my emotions to you. Now it is time for you to read them.


I put on a jacket and boots as our child comes running down stairs. “Mommy, where are you going?” I smile confidently even though I was scared to death. “Mommy is going to be right back, I'm just sending these to your Daddy.” I held the letters tied with a ribbon in both hands. “Wait right here!” He goes upstairs and runs to his room and soon comes back out with his favorite toy bunny. He had that ever since you brought it to the hospital on the day he was born.


“Send this to Daddy too! That way a part of me is always with him.” I fell to my knees and hug our son, I love you both with all my heart. He hands me his bunny as I stood back up. I go to the door and open it, there you stand in your Marines uniform. I'm frozen in shock that you are here. I drop everything, tears in my eyes, and hug you tight. You laugh, you can't stop smiling.


I pull back and pick up the letters again and hand them to you. “I wrote this for you.”

© 2017 Brittany Defranco


Author's Note

Brittany Defranco
Please Review :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very touching! And how poetic. She's finally able to release the inner turmoil, her longing and her fear, and only then does her love return. Well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Added on November 4, 2017
Last Updated on November 4, 2017
Tags: novella, short, story, prose, poem, military, family, father, mother, son, love, letter

Author

Brittany Defranco
Brittany Defranco

MD



About
Hey, I'm Brittany and I'm a 25 year old red-head. I love writing and I've been on this site before, but it's been a few years. So I decided to make a new account and start anew. I also write to .. more..

Writing