Jordan

Jordan

A Chapter by Taylor Crosby

Gray. Boring, bleak gray as I stroll through the aisle of the plane. Seat B-37. Where is it?


"C'mon Sage, it shouldn't be that hard to find your seat." I mumble to myself. Finally my eyes find the label plastered above a seat that says B-37. I set my carry-on tote in the middle of my chair and I open the compartment above my seat. I grab my miniscule suitcase and shove it into the space. I leave it open for other people who need to store their luggage; why not? I set my tote bag on the floor under my seat and sink into the plush navy blue cushion. I close my eyes and start to drift off into a short nap, my eyes relaxing as the sound of people's feet on the carpeted floor lulls me to sleep.    


                    --------------------------------------


My mother always says I'm ready to face any challenge. She says that's good, that it will help me succeed later in life. She says that I'm becoming more mature every day. With dad, it's a completely different story. Let's just say that he doesn't like the idea of me growing up and leaving them. But I guess I understand. I'm his only daughter. Hell, I'm his only kid. Hi. I'm Sage. I'm thirteen years old. If you would like to know more about me, please read on. Otherwise, skip ahead if you please, but you're going to want to read this. If you have chosen to know more about me, well there isn't much to know. I'm not the most exciting person, and I don't have the most appealing life. I have dark red hair, my dad always says it reminds him of the color of wine. I have pale skin; even if I were to spend the rest of my life sitting on the beach, I would never get tan. I would only burn. I have boring, dark brown eyes. I'm very tall for my age. My best friend Lyric says I look like a junior in high school. What is the one thing I can't live without? Well, before I answer that, lets think about what that really means. Most of the time, when people are asked that question, they don't think much about it. They just blurt out something that really means a lot to them. When someone asks you what is the one thing you can't live without, it's a complex question disguised as a simple question. Because if you answer with something such as music, or your phone, or television, you aren't really thinking about what you really can't live without. You can live without music, and without your phone, and you can certainly live without television, it's just that we're so used to having those things at our fingertips, that we simply cannot imagine a life without them. We are oblivious to the fact that without technology, we would not nearly be as strong or as intelligent as we are today. So, what can I not live without? I actually don't know. 


                    --------------------------------------------


I'm shaken awake. I slowly open my eyes to see a boy, about my age, staring at me curiously, his hand on my shoulder. I sit up swiftly and swat his hand away.


"What the hell?" I whisper to him.

 

"Sorry." He apologizes sheepishly.


I tilt my head and look out the window. We still haven't taken off yet? I sigh and sink into my seat.


"I'm Jordan." The boy says. A corner of his mouth turns up in a half smile. I will admit, it's kind of attractive.


"Sage." I reply without thinking.


"Are you traveling alone? Like me?" He asks me. I glance at Jordan. I just met him and now I'm telling him whether I'm traveling alone?


"How old are you." I comment without thinking about how rude that sounded. Jordan chuckles.


"I'm thirteen. Now can you answer my question?"


"Yes, I'm traveling alone. And I'm thirteen too." I tell him. I feel the plane jerk, and the "fasten seatbelts" sign flashes above Jordan and I. My hands automatically buckle myself in and I tighten the belt to fit my tiny waist. The plane gives another jerk, and then we head toward the runway. Once we reach the long road dotted with blue and yellow and white lights and reflectors, we begin to pick up speed. Suddenly, I feel a floating sensation and I look out the window, not surprised to find that we have taken off. We're gaining more altitude. I can tell because the airport is getting smaller and smaller, and the clouds are getting bigger and bigger. I glance over at Jordan and notice he is looking a little uncomfortable.


"Is this your first time flying alone?" I ask him.


"It's my first time flying in general." He answers with an uneasy halfway smile that makes my heart tingle. Ugh, Sage calm yourself. He's just a boy. Don't get all worked up. I promised myself that I would never become one of those girls that are obsessed with boys. They're just....annoying. I do not want to be that way. "My ears are popping." Jordan observes. I rummage through my bag and find my pack of gum. Mint flavor. I pull out two pieces.


"Here." I offer a piece to him and he accepts it. "They help with your ears; while they get used to the air pressure they pop. Gum helps." I tell him. He nods thoughtfully.


I pop my piece into my mouth, and begin to chew. I sigh. Traveling makes you tired. Especially if you're alone.



© 2015 Taylor Crosby


Author's Note

Taylor Crosby
If you get any ideas for the rest of the story, even though I already have it planned out, I would love to hear them! I might even add them in! And don't worry, I give credit. c:

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
Added on December 31, 2014
Last Updated on January 1, 2015
Tags: plane, Sage, Jordan, suitcase, airplane, friend, gum, mint, historical, fiction, 9/11


Author

Taylor Crosby
Taylor Crosby

United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Hate my writing? Okay, but does it look like I care? Love my writing? Well thanks. Want to know my secret? Oh that's funny. You think I'm actually going to tell you. more..

Writing
Overridden Overridden

A Chapter by Taylor Crosby