......

......

A Story by Miss Mona Lisa
"

Meet Alison. She is my new character, and I'll be writing about events in her life that reflect my own.

"

Chapter 1


Searching around in the mud for her Grandmother’s precious locket, Alison grasped what was left of the chain in her hand tightly, the whites of her knuckles looking unbearably pale as she forced back the tears that were welling up in her eyes. Her hair was soaked, and as she crawled all around in desperation, her knees were becoming more and more filthy.


“No!” she sobbed. “No, no, NO! It can’t be!”


Frantically trying to find the small heart containing her favorite picture of her deceased grandma, Alison dug deeper and deeper.


“It’s gotta be in here somewhere. I know it.” she whispered to herself reassuringly.


About ten minutes earlier, Alison and her two best friends, Luke and James, were playing football in the rain. She was very competitive when she played, and got into the game a little too much. Forgetting she wore the locket as she dived for the touchdown, the soft cluck of it snapping was her wake up call. She snapped up after her sloppy landing, her hand instantly dropping the wet and mucky football and snapping up to her neck as she felt the soft tickle of her dear chain sliding down her shirt. Her eyes grew wide and her heart stopped as she reached under and tried to grab the remains of the twenty-four carrot locket, catching it before it could get lost in the muck and the mire. She looked down at her black hands and saw the contrasting silver of the chain sitting there. Pieces of the chain had snapped off, but the majority of it was left. As for the heart of the locket, it was nowhere to be seen.


“Luke! James! Dudes, this is serious!” she cried as they stood where they were and smiled at her. Seeing they’re nonchalant expressions, she knew that they clearly were unaware of what just happened. She jumped up from where she laid, clutching the chain closely to her as she dashed over to where her buddies were standing.


“Awe, nice touchdown Ali!” James complimented as she approached, nudging her shoulder when she finally stood beside him. Alison felt her hand slip on the locket and angrily glared at him, her eyes like silver daggers hitting James’ relaxed face.


“Guys...” she began.


“Yeah!” Luke cut in, nudging Alison’s arm as well. “That was so sick Ali! You were like, wham! And I was like, damn! You can really get down on the field,” he remarked with a warm smile on his face. But soon, both of the boys’ facial expression turned concerned as they caught the distressed look in her eyes.


“Uh-oh.” they both said, spotting the mistiness in her glare. They stood back and waited for her to say something.


“My locket.” Alison sobbed, tears spilling out of her eyes and making a clean line in her muddy face. She opened her hands, showing off the now dirty silver chain. “Guys, I broke it. And when I went to grab it, the heart was gone. What am I gonna do?”  she asked desperately.


Both James and Luke looked at her for an instant, the grabbed her close and hugged her tightly.


“Hey. Don’t cry Ali,” Luke pleaded wearily. “We’ll help you find it.”


“Yeah,” agreed James. “Screw the game. You totally pwned us.” He smiled when he heard her soft laugh. “Look. We’re here for you Alison. We’ll help you find your heart. And we WILL find it. I promise.”


Alison looked up at them and smiled. “Thanks guys.” she said softly, folding her hands back over the chain and securing it tightly in her grasp. She blinked tightly to rid the tears in her eyes since her palms were muddy, sniffling every now and then from the damp air and her runny noise.


Luke and James grabbed Alison’s hands and lead her back over to where she landed after the touchdown, all of them dropping to their hands and knees and searching vigorously for her precious locket as the rain poured down once more and rinsed them off.

© 2011 Miss Mona Lisa


Author's Note

Miss Mona Lisa
This is only a small piece. Any suggestions? :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You write really well, Miss ML. From this small piece, it's difficult to tell what your story is about or even what genre it is, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

330 Views
1 Review
Added on January 6, 2011
Last Updated on January 6, 2011
Tags: football, locket, friends, muddy, grandmother, chain, touchdown, rain, broken, search, alison, luke, james, love, buddies, worried, muck, filthy

Author

Miss Mona Lisa
Miss Mona Lisa

Dallas, GA



About
I am a young writer, and I am still developing my skills in this category, but it is my passion. I love to write and read, and as of now, I would like to share my work with you. Please give advice. It.. more..

Writing