Crisis Faith

Crisis Faith

A Poem by Brett Moore

In retrospect, 
our civilization 
can be bothered 
to bended knee
by circumstance.

Why not divinity?

Your god shines 
brightest in the garden 
of man, only sometimes.
Other times, he's hiding 
in your shadow.

© 2014 Brett Moore


Author's Note

Brett Moore
Please leave a review with helpful thoughts or edits!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

when tragedy strikes the first thing out of our mouths is, "oh god". people always ask me why i go to church every sunday. god isn't a convenience or a vending machine for help - there only when we need him. faith can be a funny thing - often there when we don't need it and nowhere to be found when we do. we do little if anything for him and expect much. the answer very well could be, "depart from me, i never knew you". thank heaven he is merciful else we'd all be in big trouble. a telling write for sure ... :)

Posted 6 Months Ago


I love the title. Faith rears it's head in the midst of crisis. Sometimes we forget to have it otherwise.

You ask for helpful edits but I don't know what all I can come up with here. Thoughts, yes. These are it:

I had to read and reread these lines:
"can be bothered
to bended knee"

I think I like them now. At first I thought to have you change the tense and put something like: "bothered to bend the knee".

I like "Your god". Maybe that line should be in italics. It feels almost like the speaker is saying it in the reader's ear. A whisper of truth.

At any rate, I find this quite provocative. Good stuff.

Posted 10 Years Ago


when he's hiding in the shadow, we are in trouble because circumstance without some kind of faith is what is producing all the violence and hate.

you leave much open for the reader to decipher and determine...that is a good thing..
the poetry speaks to the individual reader...Less is More.

jacob

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow! This goes straight to the point to me. I have had to meet my shadow self face to face many times in order to grow. My spiritual teacher always says living in a cave is easy but can you walk on 5th avenue (in this world) and still maintain your god in your heart?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Poignant write indeed. I love the way that you wrote this...the two stanzas with the question in the middle. You go from civilization to a more personal and introspective approach; clever and well thought out. You are a thinking writer, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that while reading.

Concise, clean, simple, and yet this one packs a punch that is going to stay with me for the rest of the evening I'm sure. You impress me, my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow! After reading this, I'm left pondering on your thought-provoking concept... a rather short, but controversial thought on religion or faith (when it is only needed during a crisis)
Very intriguing write, Brett. You show depth, and I would like to see this piece expand as you forge on in your growth as a writer. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Brett Moore

10 Years Ago

Thank you!!
Quill~

10 Years Ago

:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

502 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 23, 2013
Last Updated on January 8, 2014

Author

Brett Moore
Brett Moore

Dallas, TX



About
A million lives in as many sentences. more..

Writing