Seven Fires: Children of the Dawn

Seven Fires: Children of the Dawn

A Book by BrianSGoodson
"

Beyond Armageddon, a new society emerges by rebuilding from the ashes of an ancient past.

"

No Chapters


© 2013 BrianSGoodson


Author's Note

BrianSGoodson
In a post apocalyptic world where miliions of lives have already been lost from nuclear holocaust and the surviving population is threatened by an emerging, mutated plague Native American Jeff Meserve asks himself a question. Immediately after, he answers himself. This epitomizes the books over all theme. Such bitter hardship is also equally answered by a youth named Promise whose image was found on a stone tablet created centuries before his birth.
Where do dreams go to die? Dreams die in the hearts of men...
Murdered.

Extensive excerpts can be viewed at www.caucuspress.com


Published Book or Work by: Caucus Press


In an act of terrorism Al Qaeda convinces the world community that The United States launched a preemptive nuclear attack by manipulating the radar systems of numerous countries. After forming an immediate alliance these countries assault America, invading her shores.
Enduring years of war and varying sized and ongoing invasions, America is defended on a massive scale as never before. American Indians, due to their faith and adherence of beliefs in an actual 500 year old prophesy have been among the greatest ethnic group to have survived, preparing as instructed by the elders and leaders for generations. Amidst this post-apocalyptic environment The President endures the loss of his wife and two children and, consequently primed for a cardiac episode is forced at his doctors insistence to take a vacation for sake of his health.
Reluctantly retreating to an old army companion’s Native American village in Maine to relax and do some salmon fishing, the President finds himself immersed in a culture that ambushes many of his ideologies, affording him a fresh perspective. During his intended hiatus much of the country is simultaneously invaded, including Washington. The village, having been a communications dispatch center is likewise assaulted and The President is forced to escape with his life.
A climatic ending based around The Crazy Horse Monument at last determines the fate of The United States, The President and all of its remaining citizens.

Excerpt:
It wasn't what The United States knew that mattered in a world court, it was what they could prove. The fact that somehow the radar systems of The Chinese Government had been manipulated was self-evident, for the missile strikes launched by America at what became the onset of the war had indeed been retaliatory, and despite the claims that the assault had been preemptive. This fact could be supported by, among others The British, Canadian and Australian Governments whose technological evidence also remained under investigation. And although these same countries testified in a world forum held at The Hague, their assertions had been countered by The Chinese, Iranian and North Korean Governments who laid claim to the contrary. Motive was questioned, and then answered by The Chinese who maintained that The United States, once a global financial superpower had lost its economic foothold to China, and had become renegade in a desperate attempt to regain what their complacent citizens had forfeited via trade imbalance. The Chinese, defending their own nation stated that their citizens had worked harder, were superior in their efforts and earned every bit of the global financial domination they had acquired, further stating that Americans had become self righteous and arrogant and lacked motivation toward their work ethics. In short, and despite extensive rhetoric the global forum had become a Mexican standoff. In the meantime, the bloody war raged on.

Due to the delicate nature of such a barrage of international affairs, President Franklin Lenning had been elected into a third term, the first man to find himself in this position since Roosevelt during World War Two. There had been minimal debate within the Senate, the lawmakers fast concluding that a cabinet change amidst this particular war could become immediately detrimental to the security of an already compromised and troubled nation.

As if all of this were not enough for President Lenning to bear, things became even more personal when, hat in hand General Banks had announced that US Air Force One had been shot down, and with The First Lady and President Lenning’s son and daughter on board. There had been no survivors. The helicopter had been targeted within a mile of Camp David where The President, prompted by The Security Council had sent his family for their ensured safety.

The war had indeed come home.

>>>---------- ---------------->

Unseen by all, and within and beyond the once immense cities a cocktail of chemicals mingled. Developing amidst ingredients never before found combined within nature microscopic life forms began to emerge. Enhanced in their evolution by the combination of decades of suppression and the unnatural variety of chemical based wastes and refuse, these simple life forms evolved into hybrid strains of their original state. Advanced variations of beings invisible to the eye multiplied unchecked, saturating and infiltrating pathways once flourishing with humanity, conquering over time a means of accommodating space for their flourishing existence throughout the top soils of the land.

Amidst all of these, and not to be overlooked was a pandemic cultivating itself first within winged creatures and then, unannounced moving promptly into a variety of interacting mammals.

In unobserved silence, these beings raged.

>>>---------- ---------------->

Huddled together like a pair of romantic teenagers, Jeff and his wife began reading Roman's journal. In the beginning of the log it was clear that several pages had been removed. The two looked at one another.

"Stuff about me, when I was young?" Jeff asked, pondering the missing pages. His wife considered this.

"Possibly. But wasn't he in the Special Forces, and in the war overseas?" she asked. They concluded they would ask Mary at a later time, and continued reading.

I hear the whistle of dolphins and look around for them both under and on top of the water. Unable to locate them, I decide to keep my face pressed into the sea and continue to listen to their whistles, a soothing, appealing mystery, a language not at all deciphered that somehow instills a familiar kind of calm. I try to imagine a silent ocean, a sea devoid of mankind's intrusion, without motors and wonder if such an event would enable me to hear more like this, perhaps countless dolphin and whales. Do we drown natural, comforting sounds in the sea the same way we squash the simple and serene sounds of the cricket, the night owl? The machination advances with tyrannical insistence, the overwhelming holler of industry, technology and human society devouring all within the extensive range of its frenzy, consuming moments and stealing birthrights and whisking away the rewards of all that is natural. The dolphin's song soon disappears, as if fed into a meat grinder.

>>>---------- --------------->

Freed of the bonds of bureaucracy and budgetary considerations The Sioux moved forward with determined persistence toward the construction of their monument to Crazy Horse. The towering statue stands over the land as an ever-watchful steward of the earth, as guardian of the people and as a testament to freedom. Atop a great stallion the harbinger of hope was close to completion, his massive physical size exceeded only by his spiritual stature.

Pivotal toward the gathering of nations the structure, by its very existence served as a rendezvous point for a meeting unlike any other in history. It was becoming known as the greater gathering of nations. Here the Sioux, in extensive joint ceremonies smoked the pipe of peace with Apache, with Cheyenne, Shoshone and Cherokee. Blackfoot People sat in comfortable attendance of continued and intense discussion about the future of humanity, all members representing each nation seeking wisdom through council in pursuit of the greater good. Crazy Horse stood atop all of this, the Grand Father of peace.

As he came upon the majestic image of Crazy Horse, Jumping Bear simply stopped his truck, turned off the ignition and got out. He began to fancy dance alongside his old Chevrolet and right there in the middle of the road. As Jumping Bear danced, he sang praise and thanks aloud.

A barrage of emotions overwhelmed him, memories of the great suffering of the past, the misery of what had become the temporary but prolonged destiny of these sacred, desecrated lands, and of joy for what had returned once again, albeit battle-scarred. All that remained was the time of the great healing.

Tears ran down his cheek.

>>>---------- ---------------->

Where do dreams go to die? Jeff asked himself, lying beside his sleeping wife. Dreams die in the hearts of men… Murdered.

His son remained missing, the world was at war and all after such horrific preceding events. So many lives lost. So much hope destroyed and all in the name of progress and faith in variations of deity’s unproven. Jeff thought that perhaps the world had become overpopulated, saturated with human beings bearing an endless barrage of opinion to become bursting at the environmental seams. Specifically selected resources had been drawn near to exhaustion, the industrial breast run dry.

>>>---------- ---------------->

Nearby a pack of wolves Podo’be stood at the crest of a fair sized hill. The wolf cubs played while, in the heat of the day the adults rested. The alpha male had once been a cub that Pod’be had come to know over the past several years, each seeing the other with considerable frequency, both affording the other cohabiting respect. Though Podo’be would not approach the cubs, the pack was tolerant of his presence at a respectful distance.

Here at the top of this rock-laden hill, at the peak of a valley Podo’be had more than once discovered enemy scouts. It was a logical point of entry for them, the easy floor of the valley offering sure footing, a modest slope and the safety of a dense and disguising forest. This location was the beginning of what would become a more open valley closer to the village. When not hunting or patrolling other areas Podo’be often came here where, to the east the valley emerged from the Passamaquoddy Bay. He knew that infiltrators came in from the sea, in small vessels that slipped through an overburdened and sparse navy. In recent times it had been only small groups whose mission was to document information to determine if this region was suitable for a tentative land assault. Podo’be knew what they were up to, and as village sentinel and caretaker to the forest he kept a watchful eye on them. Podo’be had more than once confronted this enemy, at this location and at others. None since their initial assault on the village years earlier had gotten past him. Those who were in that long ago aggression on his village had come in greater numbers and such a large force had not since returned. Since then this enemy had changed tactics sending smaller, perhaps more dispensable scouting parties. They may very well be looking for those same men that had long ago come ashore never to return. The specific reasons for their incursion were not relevant. Podo’be simply did not want them here, period. Whenever he came upon them, Podo’be used every advantage and took their lives. Upon occasion some had escaped, no doubt to report the details of their encounter. Podo’be did not know they had come to refer to him as the spirit in the woods, and nor would he care.

The alpha male stood up, ears perked. Seeing this, Podo’be climbed down over the crest of the hill onto the slope and stood atop the irregular shape of a large boulder looking down. Within a moment Podo’be saw a group of three men approaching, brother wolfs keen ears yet again proving to be an invaluable asset.

At once the three men stopped, staring at the ground before them. Podo’be knew they were looking at one of their fallen comrades, now nothing more than a skeleton wearing the remains of their own uniform. Podo’be left the enemy where they dropped, and let nature runs its course. Unbeknownst to him, this had been in one of their reports. One of those that had escaped, after having seen the skeletal remains of a different soldier just before an encounter with Podo’be had reported it. This man had many times told the tale, warning fellow soldiers that if they were to ever encounter the bones of a fallen comrade they should expect to soon be confronted by the spirit in the woods, the tale growing taller with each telling. Soon, Podo’be was reported to be a giant.

Knowing none of this, and demanding their attention Podo’be rolled a boulder down the hill toward the men. With the afternoon sun at his back, and as a silhouette Podo’be stood up to reveal himself. One of the soldiers took aim and discharged a futile shot as Podo’be, in a single step crested the hill and out of their sight, putting tons of earth between them.

Seizing their opportunity to confront and destroy the legendary spirit in the woods, the enemy soldiers began toward Podo’be. Single file they began their journey as great heroes up the hill in pursuit. One, more determined than the other two climbed with great haste. He intended to be the one to destroy the source of such absurd legend. Yards ahead of the other two soldiers, and with rifle in hand he crested the hill and disappeared from the sight of the remaining two below him. Seeing this they paused, listening. Hearing brief growling followed by silence, the two looked at one another. Then hearing nothing one sped ahead and, intending to assist in defending his comrade followed the path of the man before him. The third soldier, proceeding with more caution, and suspicious of the silence following the growling that could be made only by an animal moved toward his right, intending a different approach.

Watching the movement of the wolf as its keen ears tracked the motion of the man Podo’be made his way east of the soldier and stepped over the hill. He then began west, toward the infiltrator.

Podo’be watched as this last soldier slowly stuck his head over the peak to investigate. As this man found himself face to face with the bared fangs of a wolf Podo’be, taking full advantage of the distraction stepped in, crooked knife drawn.

“Yoo-hoo,” Podo’be said, his voice flat, almost a whisper before cutting the man’s throat. With a face devoid of expression Podo’be watched as the last look on this man’s face was utter disbelief. The soldier clutched at his throat and fell to the ground, tumbling most of the way down the fair pitch of the hill.

Settling in to his bed made of moss that night, Podo’be knew he would have to report this to the village. The frequency of these incursions had increased, and Podo’be had every reason to believe they would soon send in more troops, perhaps in great numbers.

They needed to prepare.

>>>---------- ---------------->

Chapter Forty-Eight
The gavel rose and fell as an uproarious Congress reluctantly settled down to hear the House Speakers words. At last, silence filled the great hall.

“It is with great remorse that we are gathered here this day, esteemed members of this Congress. Our history is rich in character, has overcome countless obstacles encountered in the endeavor toward freedom for humanity. Like our forefathers, we have been steadfast in our beliefs that all men are created equal. This is demonstrated throughout our administrative history. We have endeavored to cultivate continued legislation to the admiration and adherence of these philosophies. And it shall be known that our great nation did withstand all obstacles in the pursuit of such justice. We have endured with our blood, through many generations and on numerous continents to remain true to our convictions, unwilling to waver in the many faces of danger, and for over two hundred years. We are then obligated, by birthright to prevent any that may oppose these sanctities. There shall be no misconception that under any circumstances we shall yield without every effort afforded the great spirit of freedom, represented here today by each esteemed member gathered and by all of this united country’s free citizens to stand tall in defense of all we have collectively constructed.” The speaker paused, looked about the house of Congress.

“As we gather this day to demonstrate our conviction of solidarity, we must remember the purpose for which we have for so long stood as a nation, and as a people. We are now disposed to look upon our enemy who, as we speak infiltrate our heartland and deny them all sense of accomplishment. For here, in the face of ultimate adversity, and as we stand at the edge to face the great abyss we shall remember the words of one of our most remarkable citizens. ‘Do not go gently into that dark night!’”

The house of Congress stood immediately to its feet and all members shook their fist in the air.

The Speaker then cast his vote in favor of the document presented to Congress, signing it into immediate law.

Operation Dog Days was met with unanimous approval.

Thanks for reading this.
Lakautawakon (peace)
>>>-------- -------->

Excerpts are available on my website, www.caucuspress.com. What Seven Fires is now is the combination of what was Children of the Dawn and Seven Fires. 2 books are combined.

My Review

Would you like to review this Book?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Author

BrianSGoodson
BrianSGoodson

Los Angeles, CA



About
I am an author, an occasional actor that loves to cook and concoct new recipes. My works include Astray Astray The Tricksters Trademark Children of the Dawn Seven Fires Point Zero One-This book f.. more..

Writing