The Fall

The Fall

A Poem by BrightEyes

I want to be angry
For anger moves bricks into place
Fortifies the wall
Stands the guardian of my heart
At attention
Protecting me from the hurt

Though I work to feed upon it
Try to fan those flames
It flees in an instant
In the face of understanding
So the walls crumble
The guard falls asleep

Laid bare before the onslaught
Ravaged by raw emotion
Facing head on
The uncertainty of tomorrow
Still standing in today
Fearing the fall

 

© 2009 BrightEyes


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is amazing my friend! The emotion of fearing the fall, yet not quite having the strength to build the brick walls around it to keep it out. Trying to find solace in the anger but not quite managing leaving the heart vulnerable. It is a scary place to be.. As much as one would like to be bubble wrapped.. we always can't be... Just gotta take the scrapes, bumps, and bruises and say Ha! I did it and came out alive! :D Or you might find the fall wasn't as bad as you thought it would be!

I truly enjoy your ink.. :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I just found you and I am enjoying your poetry very, very much. Very strong emotion in this poem and detailed so that I feel it too.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anger is indeed a great motivator, but it is sadly fleeting, burning out too quickly. That rush of adrenaline, moving mountains in a moment, only to find ourselves spent. Hurt, pain, and the anger born from them; how they would allow us to build up the walls around us, allowing us to feel safe. Oh, though we may exile ourselves, though it may be somewhat insane if given any thought, we still build up our walls so that we may be safe... only to find, we lack that energy to sustain those walls. The temptation too great, the raw pull of love, regardless of the fear, the chance of hurt, and that pain... leaves anger no match for that onslaught...

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the use of metaphors throughout! Building the wall against pain, the imagery of a battle for self is really something. You managed to capture the continuity of despair in all its slipping, changing forms up to the very instant of, as you put it so well, the fall. "The guards fall asleep" in particular resonates with me, those who were supposed to protect our heart have abandoned it, grown weary and apathetic. Really well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely brilliant piece of writing. The scope of depth in here is amazing. I enjoyed this read. Magnificently done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow I like how you talk about anger helping you to prepare for failure.
The fear we all have is falling, in life, love, sins and everything we're given
such as talent. While fearing our futures we remain unmoving in the past
very nice!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is funny, but not unusual that we often think of tomorrows consequences based on yesterdays truth. I believe the best way to get beyond that constant fear, would be to think how well we can tolerate another disappointment, do we risk it all or stay in limbo? Remembering that limbo can be a very lonely place, but also remembering how our mental health will be affected with another disappointment. To love is a big risk, there are no guarantees, only good intentions.

Tony

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have a wonderful ode to the emotional roller-coaster we humans put ourselves on then it comes to relationships. I like the way you laid it out, you allow the reader to really crawl inside and find familiar, if uncomfortable, feelings.

Nicely done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What strikes me most, the well thought out dynamics behind the scope of subtle depth and metaphors, Brilliant

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Here you write with a certain artistic propriety - deep meanings! I always love that - and once more: i didn't call you mediocrity writer. I am sorry when you have seen it that way well i was perhaps confusing with bad punctuation or something when it came that way. I am glad that we can again read each other's work what i missed. I valuate your opinion and thank you for your review of Control. I wrote this for a woman's magazine. So that poem - is one not written from experience but for a certain readership; and it was quite a task to stress it and to discipline. Back to your poem: I can see that you were genuine here (only genuine poets are inspired and convincing) and i was able to see, you wrote perhaps from experience and that's what I love, for then it is honest and haunting. We are not always able to write so deep, so I know how difficult it is. I loved your poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such emotion shown here. You are a strong woman, full of strength that you do not even know you possess. No amount of cotton wall (pun intended) can save us from all of lives lessons, or we can never learn to grow and move on. Sometimes you have to go through hell to get to heaven. XX

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

763 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 24, 2009

Author

BrightEyes
BrightEyes

PA



About
This is not my favorite Frost poem, but it is my first Frost poem. Dropped within another book I was reading at age 9, I never forgot it. While I wrote short stories at the time, it was my inspirati.. more..

Writing
Every Day Every Day

A Poem by BrightEyes



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blooming Blooming

A Poem by BrightEyes


breathless breathless

A Poem by Emily B