Chapter 2: Doubts

Chapter 2: Doubts

A Chapter by Finnian
"

Zacharias starts to feel doubtful of his place in the Resistance, until he gets an idea.

"

                “Well runt? Say something!” I knew know that Lana was determined to humiliate me in front of the whole team, but I wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction. I sat straighter and glared back, trying to mimic the intimidating look in her eye, only to receive more amused taunts and chuckles. She smirked that famous smirk, thinking my attempt at boldness was just comical. My bandaged hands clenched into fists. “I said your plan won’t work. It’s a suicide mission.” I heard my own nervousness creep into the tone of my voice. She had a sudden look of triumph on her face. Before I even realized it, I was lifted off of the crate by the collar of my oversized shirt. “Oh, so now you’re the leader of this resistance? Why didn’t anyone tell me? Hear that, everyone? The runt wants to be the leader now.” Malicious laughter rang in my ears. This was not a battle I was going to win. “L-look, all I meant-“  “All you meant was that you were going to do as you were told. Leave the planning up to the grown-ups, ‘kay? I’m trying to lead this team to victory. We wouldn’t want our poor little Zachy to get hurt.” The laughter rang louder in my ears and in my head. A strange noise, like a growl and sigh, escaped from my throat as I shoved her away. “You may think your leading them to victory, but all you’re really doing is leading them straight to their deaths!”

 

                The tent went dead silent. A bitter wind sent a chill up my spine. I couldn’t go back now. I had her on the spot. Her face showed no emotion, but I saw it in her eye; astonishment. “Do you honestly believe that you can take down Eden?” Her voice was soft and she chose her words carefully. I did the same. “With me as the leader? No. But with my plan, yes.” My own boldness shocked me, but it seemed to take the affect I intended it to. She chewed her lip, looking like she was fighting some kind of internal battle, most likely between her brain and her pride, and if I knew Lana by now, her pride would be the victor. Surprisingly, I was wrong. “Fine, I’m a fair person. So then, tell us your genius plan.” Now it was my turn to be at a loss for words. “I, ah, I think, umm…” I was cut off by the shrill whistle from outside. The Guardians calling people back to their homes. “Save it for tomorrow, then. Everyone out.” They shuffled awkwardly out of the meeting tent until it was just me, all alone, leaving me to ask myself once again, what have I done?

 

                                            -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

 

                I didn’t go home after that. After everything that had happened tonight, I didn’t want to go home my mother and father, back home to that look of disappointed they get when they see me. I can’t blame them. A lot of people would be disappointed too if their child was the mockery of the village.

 

                I climbed back up the slope overlooking the village near the gates. I listened to the crickets and the screeching calls of the nocturnal dragons far in the distance, hidden by the nighttime. The light breeze swayed the dewy grass. I sat in the same spot I sat earlier that day, bringing my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around my shins. I loved sneaking out of the village to come up here and gaze at the millions of silver little dots adorning the black sky. But I couldn’t enjoy it tonight like I usually do. Too many thoughts, too many doubts. What I wouldn’t give to disappear forever. As much as I tried to keep it out of my mind, my thoughts kept drifting back to the meeting. What exactly will be my brilliant plan to overthrow the entire Valla government? I didn’t even know what to expect out there. I’ve never been outside the village. The Guardians don’t let us leave unless we’re a hunter or resistance spy. And speak of the devils…

 

                “Hey, kid! Didn’t you here the whistle? You’re not allow- oh, Zacharias, it’s just you.” A tall young woman with the dark green Guardian vest came strolling down from her station in front of the gates. Sheena. She had the night shift as Gate Guardian. “Yeah, just me…” I mumbled. Not bothering to look up. “Why so down, kiddo?” She asked amusedly, nudging my shoulder as she sat down beside me. “Nothing, I’m just being me…” “Alright, talk.” She poked my cheek playfully like she always does when I’m sulking. “I… I just… Why did I ever join the Resistance?” I sighed. I knew feeling sorry for myself wasn’t going to get me out of this mess, but I just wanted someone to complain to. “Lana again? Look, you know how she is-“ “It’s not that, it’s… never mind.” It was silent for a long time after that, but not an uncomfortable silence. More like a peaceful silence. “Well… I’m not gonna force you to talk, but you know… If the Resistance thing doesn’t work out, you can always join the Guardians. Sixteen soon, right? You’ll be eligible to join then. You can even join the Night Team with me! I’ll teach you all I know, although, there’s not much to teach, but you can never have too many Guardians around here nowadays…” I nodded, not really listening. “You can always become a dragon tamer, too. I think that would make your father proud,” she added hesitantly. I just nodded again, staring at nothing. “Yeah, thanks, Sheena.”

 

                “Sure thing, Zachy.” She clapped me on the back and started back to her station at the gates. I heard her still mumbling to herself. “Yeah, we could use a bigger team here. All this talk of raids all over Valla…” I had a sudden spark of inspiration. “Sheena,” I started, and she spun back around. “Do you think other villages and cities in Valla have their own resistances, too? Not just us and Bronheim? There has to be other rebels, right?” She rubbed the back of her neck, thinking. “Uh, I’m not too sure, kiddo. Even I haven’t been outside of Enzha. But you know, I think you should ask Lana. She’d know that stuff better than me…” I had already started running back to the village.



© 2012 Finnian


Author's Note

Finnian
Yeah, so... enjoy c:

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on August 4, 2012
Last Updated on August 4, 2012
Tags: magic, dragons, rebellion, dystopia


Author

Finnian
Finnian

San Diego, CA



About
Hello, my name is Finnian. I'm that one kid who reads all the time and listens to weird music and gets stuff thrown at him a lot. I have wanted to be a writer since kindergarten. I also love art, acti.. more..

Writing
Prologue: Mister Prologue: Mister

A Chapter by Finnian


Beggars Beggars

A Book by Finnian


Chapter 1: Runt Chapter 1: Runt

A Chapter by Finnian