Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Brooklyn

 I have two days left. Two. I’m not sure whether I should be sad or relieved. In two days, I’ll be somewhere better. Hell couldn’t possibly be worse.

I wish I could say goodbye. I’m trapped in this metal chamber until the day comes. There are so many people I wish I could say goodbye to. Anna who cared for me when no others would, including my mother. Georgia, my best friend. Sam who had kissed me before the Trial. He said it was worth the risk; he just had to kiss me once in case one of us chosen.

Sam. I still feel his lips on mine as we kissed in that secret part of the Wood we had found years before. He had seen me cry for the first time then. As we parted knowing that we may never see each other again. And this kiss may be the first and the last. I wish he had kissed me much sooner. We would have time to be together. But he didn’t, and it doesn’t matter now. The best I can wish for is that he will forget me and find someone who will make him happy. And maybe he will be a little quicker that time. Because he was right. I was picked.

Maybe, the hopeful voice chimes in my head, just maybe, you will get out of this mess and you will be together like you always wanted.  But the rational side of me new that there wasn’t any use hoping. In two days, on my sixteenth birthday, I will be dead.

 

 

The metal door opened with a piercing whine from its rusty hinges. I have memorized the earsplitting sound. I will probably play in my head as I die. That would be cruel. So it will probably happen.

Life has dealt me one unfair situation after another. My mother left me to die after I was born. A girl who had just turned fifteen had found me in the Wood. Alone. She had found who my mother was, of course. But she had refused to take me back. The girl had then tried to get one of the of age women to raise me. None would take on the burden of someone else’s baby. Not when the probably had children of their own to feed or had no husband. Then Fate decided to be kind and changed the heart of one of the unmarried girls. Anna. She took me, and raised me. And she had loved me as if I were her own. But I had to live in the same village as my biological mother, seeing her everyday without speaking to her. It is very hard to forgive when you are constantly reminded of the harm done. I tried to forgive her, and failed.

Situation number dose. We were living on the brink of starvation. This forced me to go to the wood for food and things to barter. Anna’s cripple. An now I’m not there to take care of her.

I  have been picked. Two days before my sixteenth birthday. Two days more and I would have been safe. If only I was born two days earlier...

I have been waiting for Sam to kiss me for years. Now, he finally has and it’s too late for us. The chance is gone.

Gone like the rest of my life. In a few minutes, I will be led down the road that goes to the Wood. I am familiar with the Wood. It has become a bit like a second home. But they weren’t going to the crisscrossing, faded paths that I know like the back of my hand. No, they were bringing me to the step hill that lead right into the heart of the Wood. I will be the sacrifice to the Beast. Great birthday present, right? Though I doubt they even know that it is my birthday. The bigwigs that have it all never bother to remember us little people do they?

“Get out,” a deep voice commands. I do as I’m told. They tie my hands together and point their weapons at me as if I am a criminal being lead to the courtroom for trial. I guess some have tried to escape. Maybe some have even succeeded at escaping. But no they guard me with their live because if they don’t it’ll mean everyone they care about’s lives.

And so, I walk to my death.



© 2012 Brooklyn


Author's Note

Brooklyn
Should I keep going with the plot?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think you should continue because its really interesting so far. BUT maybe you should explain more of how she is yo die. Great start so far. Loving it. Fang wait yo read more.

-Jade

Posted 11 Years Ago


It's a great story! One small observation is in the fifth paragraph, "I will probably play in my head as I die", you might insert 'it' between play and in. I don't know. Maybe not. My opinion on continuing your plot? No. I think it's good as a stand-alone story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


You did a GREAT JOB! There's only a few errors in the first part. When you describe a person and you put thier name as one sentance. That would be a sentence fragment. Just do what I do and proofread it over and over untill you're absolutely positive that there aren't any mistakes. Otherwise, you have a great way with sentence fluency. You're doing a great job getting a readers attention, contextualizizing the issue, and presenting the thesis. Thanks for sharing!
-Sara

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love this!! Definitely keep writing! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hi Brooklyn,
As everyone else has said, yes, you should keep writing You have such an easy floe with your stories. Keep it up.
Regards
Shawlyn


Posted 11 Years Ago


YES! TOTALLY!! AWESOME WRIGHTING!

Posted 11 Years Ago


YES. KEEP WRITING.

IF YOU DON'T, I WILL BE FORCED TO AXE MURDER YOU. WITH A TOOTHPICK.

Anyway, yes. very well written. I want to know what happens next.

I'm not really insane, I promise!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Holy. Cow. You are an amzing writer!! Yes keep going!!!!!!!!! Amazing job!!!1

Posted 11 Years Ago


Yes

Posted 11 Years Ago


interesting. I like where this chapter could lead the story. keep writing. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

459 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 7, 2012
Last Updated on June 25, 2012


Author

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

why do you want to know?, MA



About
I'm a fourteen year old girl that is now in her freshman year of highschool. wish me luck!. I'm awful at spelling, and I need to work on "down time" in stories. I also can't seem to write one book for.. more..

Writing
But Not But Not

A Poem by Brooklyn


Nightmares Nightmares

A Poem by Brooklyn


Insanity Insanity

A Story by Brooklyn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Devon Devon

A Poem by Amanda


One One

A Chapter by Amanda


Two Two

A Chapter by Amanda