#18:  Make It Stop

#18: Make It Stop

A Chapter by Brytt
"

This is terrible... simply terrible.

"

            “Hi, Dezzy.”

            Angie was sitting in her hospital bed, stirring a plate of mashed potatoes with a fork.  She grinned up at me for reasons I could not grasp.  Trying to remain nonchalant, I put on a sad smile of my own as I stood by the door.

            “Are you hungry, Desmond?” she asked.  “I don’t really want these potatoes anymore.  You should eat them.”

            I noticed a hint of mockery in her tone.  I frowned.  What game was she playing?  How much did she know about us?  As hungry as I was, and I really, really was, eating human food was a bad idea.  I had to keep up looks, though, in case another human heard or saw me.

            “No, thanks,” I grimaced, “I’m, uh, allergic…?”

            “Yeah?” she continued.  “Too bad you left.  They gave me another transfusion a while ago.  You should have seen it.  It was weird.”

            “Angie…,” I sighed.

            “It’s so great to be alive right now, isn’t it?” she giggled.

            She took a deep breath in.  I glared at the human, who laughed at my expression.  Angie was pushing me, and I mean pushing.  I would not have gone as far had she stood up and physically shoved me.

            “We could open the curtains.  The sun should be coming up soon,” she whispered with a snicker.

            “We could work on your attitude,” I replied.  “Two more holes in your throat may do the trick, don’t you think?”

            Angie pouted, “Well, that’s no fun.  I was hoping to at least get to the one about how my life was at stake…”

            “Your jokes suck,” I pointed out.

            “Ha!”

            I smacked my face with my hand and swore softly.

            “And people say I’m a pain in the neck…,” Angie hummed.

            “Seriously, Angie, it’s not punny- funny!  I said funny!” I panicked.

            Angie lost it.  She started laughing so hard, I thought her cardiogram would explode.

            “Come on, Des, live a little,” she smirked.  “Ah!  Live a little!”

            Her face went bright red, and she began tearing up.  I felt myself smile, then chuckle, and the next thing I knew, I could no longer breathe either because I was cracking up.  But while it was not a great concern to me, it was to Angie-Bee.

            “Why do you have to be so funny?” I cried to her.

            “I can’t help it,” she snorted.  “It’s in my blood.”

            This time, I doubled over, unable with even my superhuman stamina to continue standing.

            “Please, Angie!”

            “I’m sorry, Dezzy, but you need this.  You’re always so cross with me…”

            “Oh, God, please…” I laughed.

            “I don’t wanna… die like… this, not like this… not laughing!” Angie continued.

            “Do I have to make you stop?” I chuckled.

            “Please,” she whined, still giggling like a child.

            In no time, I was sitting next to her on the bed, my nose brushing her throat.  It took a minute, but the laughter subsided and gave way to a different, more relaxed feeling.

            “This seems familiar,” I breathed, “doesn’t it?”

            Angie closed her eyes, taking slow deliberate breaths as I nuzzled her.  I turned her head towards mine and resumed what we had been doing before Sissy had interrupted us.  I would have known she had just eaten even if I had not seen it.  Her mouth was salty and peppery and lemony.  It was all the things I hated.

            I liked it.

            Kissing Angie was like being trapped in a place where time stood still, but even that was not long enough.  Eventually, I did find the strength to pull away.  When I did, Angelica licked her lips.

            “So… so it’s true then?” she asked me.  “You’re-?”

            “Yeah,” I murmured.

            “Are you impressed?”

            “Impressed?”

            “That I figured it out?”

            I snickered.

            “Angie-Bee, I love you, but you couldn’t figure out that you were in a paper bag, let alone how to get out of it.”

            She raised one arm and slapped me, in slow motion, as if it would faze me in the slightest.

            “Take that, you knave.”

            “Oh, ow,” I scoffed.

            “Are you staying then?”

            “At least for the day.  If you want me to, longer.”

            “I like the teddy bear,” Angie yawned.

            I smirked at her.

            “Get some sleep, Angie-Bee.  I’ll stay here,” I said.

            “Des?”

            “Hmm?”

            “Why do you call me that?”

            “You’re a brat.  You’re a total brat, Angie, but you’re my brat, my Angie-Bee.  I love you,” I confessed.

            “Bite me…”

            I stood up to sit in a chair by the wall, my Angie already asleep in her bed.

            She was safe, at least for the time.  If only I could say the same for myself.

            Then I realized everything I had said in the last few minutes.



© 2011 Brytt


Author's Note

Brytt
Tell me if anything seems off, please!

(dare you to count all the jokes...)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
Added on May 8, 2011
Last Updated on May 8, 2011


Author

Brytt
Brytt

Britt, IA



About
Quotes From the Innermost Circle of the Fantasy World Known as My Mind: Irony: the graduation quote at my high school has been "Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path .. more..

Writing