Cursed From The Start

Cursed From The Start

A Poem by E.A. Spain

I was cursed from the start

To break another’s heart


Just as he did mine...

And left me here to loathe the love we created all that time


I healed my own heart now by another

But I’m thereby bound to all the others...

My past loves bind me up

And I’m left to sup

The poison of love

That dribbled down my own beloved’s cup


The one who was all I could think of...


And now I force myself to forget

All the things that I now regret

But they keep coming back...

And to my new love- it is an attack!


And so I was cursed from the start

To break another’s heart

© 2018 E.A. Spain


Author's Note

E.A. Spain
written december 12, 2012 and edited february 21, 2018

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Curse can be deadly but yes we create spiritual ties with each sexual relationship that needs to be cut-severed in order to move on, need to set eachother free, sad how people can have such a hold of you - true words I enjoyed reading- I do hope u set yourself free and the curse become s blessing🌹

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

nicely written really enjoyed reading

Posted 6 Years Ago


Curse can be deadly but yes we create spiritual ties with each sexual relationship that needs to be cut-severed in order to move on, need to set eachother free, sad how people can have such a hold of you - true words I enjoyed reading- I do hope u set yourself free and the curse become s blessing🌹

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love can become a bear. Hard to find place where love find proper place of joy and happiness. I liked the poem. Honest words and thoughts shared. Thank you for sharing the amazing words and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


really nice one e.a. i like the first two lines, it came out strong emotion wise.

Posted 6 Years Ago


A dark but accurate portrait about how we're truly the sum of our past relationships. Try or not to forget them, they shape us, even if subconsciously. When loved, we usually love and give more. When hurt, we give less.. or sometimes pass the pain to the next person in our life. As with your other work, I'm impressed with all of it... words, rhymes, flow, etc. Nice work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Vicious cycle unless we reflect on why we moved forward in such circles...to end a cycle we have to stop and look within, never easy, I like this...honest and powerful...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Here you have perfectly captured a dynamic too common in lovers' heart: trying not to let past hurts, mistrusts and disappointment a current relationship.

As Jesus said, 'Love your neighbour as you love yourself',
I too believe that love start from you, the way you love and nurture yourself.
Self-preservation is very important. You should be independent in every sense of the word.
Once you look after yourself well, and look after others from the goodness of your heart (without feeling obliged), then whoever comes to your life will know and see that you had a life and you were doing just fine before they arrived in your life. I believe that people, besides the charitable deeds of the heart, should deserve your love, and you should never allow anybody to take you for granted.
Whoever is your lover should enhance you as much as you enhance them in all your various qualities (pros and cons), since love is reciprocal, and that is why they are usually referred to as the 'other half', just like two pieces of puzzle click together to add to a whole. You must help each other grow, and have forgiveness in abundance, though it must be stressed that unfaithfulness should not be tolerated, for whoever cheats will probably cheat again.
Anybody who finds pleasure in your pain, who's a source of stress rather than security, stability and comfort, clearly has an evil agenda and should not be entertained in your precious life, nor be anywhere near your intimate space.

You know how to depict your concept well without straying unnecessarily from the context, whilst, with simple yet powerful metaphor and imagery, doing justice to the content.

I love the way the two first lines of the first stanza are repeated like a refrain in the final stanza.

The overall flow and rhythm is wonderful.

WELL DONE

Posted 6 Years Ago


BlackPrince

6 Years Ago

I MEANT TO SAY MISTRUSTS AND DISAPPOINTMENT AFFECT A CURRENT RELATIONSHIP
"And now I force myself to forget
All the things that I now regret
But they keep coming back...
And to my new love- it is an attack!

And so I was cursed from the start
To break another’s heart"

If this is what I'm like with friendship I don't wanna know what'll happen if I attempt another relationship. I love how you connected the beginning and the end, where the middle summed up the reasons why and left nothing sitting awkwardly like you didn't know what to do with (like I do all the time) but it also shows us all a good point about loving someone, and others for that matter.
It sort of reminds me of this woman I met a couple years ago who told me her boyfriend and her were both crazy and so they had a crazy sort of love that no one understood but themselves, because at the end of the day, only you know what lover is good for you.

"I healed my own heart now by another
But I’m thereby bound to all the others..."

And this is very (unfortunately) true. I can understand how this sums up your curse. This teaches us many things, you know. Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As Rod Stewart sings, "The first cut is the deepest" and often we never quite get over that first break up. It has an impact on all relationships that follow. Nicely written. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 21, 2018
Last Updated on February 21, 2018
Tags: unrequited love, love lost, love poem, heart break, breakups, ex lovers, reminiscing, memories, cursed

Author

E.A. Spain
E.A. Spain

Grove City, OH



About
I am a young creative and creator. I fell in love with writing poetry as a young teenager when I was trying to get through hard times. Regardless, I excel in any type of writing I put my mind to. I am.. more..

Writing