Chapter 3 ~ An Obligation

Chapter 3 ~ An Obligation

A Chapter by KittyDash
"

This chapter: General Prior forms his own opinion of his new aide - to his own regrets.

"

Chapter 3 ~ An Obligation

 

General Prior was a stubborn man. He knew that and a certain part of him prided himself on it but that evening, as he sat with Major Bailey and Dandy at his table, he knew that it was not the time for obstinacy. Bailey was meant to be conceited and pathetic, just like his relatives. He was meant to sit here with his a laughable slouch and still insist on prattling about his glories and successes. He was meant to have not a single thought for his companions and instead, talk too loudly and laugh in a grating way at all the wrong moments.

He certainly was not meant to be like this.

Prior hated to admit it but the man was nothing short of impressive. He looked smart, despite the long journey he had just completed to arrive at the fort, he was effortlessly respectful in the way he referred to the men he was dining with and it seemed that he was making up for the intelligence that his Uncle and cousin had lacked. He knew what he was talking about, Prior could see that in his eyes, but it fell delightfully short of arrogance when he was telling of his victories in the War and even appeared to veer into modesty. Prior could have certainly done with a few more men like that at Fort DeLacey.

Maybe now they would have somebody that would act in a respectful manner. Hopefully that would prompt something out of them.

Prior refused to let that thought haunt him here though, of all places. Bailey did a good job in helping him forget though.

The general had had the privilege of speaking to a lot of men and officers about the War and a lot of the time it hadn’t felt like a privilege at all, no matter what rank they had been. They didn’t like speaking about troubled memories, they didn’t like remembering and Prior understood, though his experience in the War hadn’t been as eventful and battle-fuelled as most of them. Nobody liked recalling the things they had seen, not this soon after the fights had ended after all those years anyhow, and presently those years seemed to be a hazed secret that everybody wanted to piece together the effects of without divulging in too many details. Even the ones who spoke egotistically had the flashes of pain in their eyes and that was what made them even more sickening for Prior. They couldn’t admit to it.

Bailey wasn’t like that. He spoke honourably and though he had a perfect mist that came down upon his eyes when he relayed the past, as if he was baring himself to these strangers, Prior could see he had grown since the War. He had met men like this, he was glad to admit, but nobody quite like this young major. Maybe that was because of his family though. Prior wasn’t sure what made him admire him most.

He wouldn’t admit that however. Not even to Dandy.

He had watched Dandy over the course of the meal, as well as Bailey, and had almost smiled at the look in his face. Bailey was different to Captain Hamilton, his previous aide de camp. Hamilton had been like him in some ways, in his confidence and history, but he hadn’t been as polite as Bailey was. And when he talked, he looked at Dandy as well as Prior. Hamilton, though he had worked alongside Dandy frequently and for a long time, had been more prone to talking at Dandy rather than to him. The younger aide had never complained yet Prior could see that he enjoyed finally getting some attention from his work companion, even this early on.

As well as Dandy though, Prior had a feeling that he would enjoy having Bailey as his aide.

And heaven above, he had picked a handsome one.

~~~

An hour or so later, the dinner had ended. One of the obedient privates was clearing away the plates and cutlery, making something of a loud show out of it, and Bailey was finishing off his most recent story, the clattering and clinking not seeming to have deterred him. Taylor was watching still and if they had been anywhere else, Prior would have reprimanded him for his elbows resting on the table. He forgave him silently this time but when Bailey stopped talking, nodding at the private as he took his plate, he appeared to regain himself again and sit up straighter. Prior saw the quick look he gave him out of the corner of his eye.

‘’ Well. Major Bailey,’’ he said, addressing the young man with that type of friendliness he set aside for all his new arrivals. Before they turned their backs on him. ‘’ Thank you for joining us. It’s been a pleasure.’’

Bailey had nodded politely. ‘’ No, sir, it has been my pleasure,’’ he remarked. ‘’ Thank you for this invitation. I am honoured.’’

‘’ Which invitation are you referring to, major?’’

‘’ Both, sir. This dinner and this position. It is an honour.’’

Prior didn’t hold his breath, though he smiled as courtesy and then rose from the table, extending his hand. Bailey stood too and graciously shook it. Prior once again noted his firmness. ‘’ Well, major,’’ he said. ‘’ I am sure you have had a tiring day. I will see you tomorrow for a tour around this wonderful fort; that which will be your new home for the foreseeable future. Sleep well.’’

‘’ My thanks, general.’’ Bailey straightened his back and pressing on his heels together, saluted. Prior returned it and the young man moved towards the door. Taylor rose from the table before he could leave.

‘’ Major,’’ he said. Bailey turned back. ‘’ Would you like me to take you back to your room?’’

Bailey seemed surprised at the offer. ‘’ No, that will be alright, lieutenant,’’ he declined graciously. ‘’ I will make my own way back, thank you.’’

‘’ Certainly.’’ Taylor nodded and watched him leave. Once the door had closed, he pushed his chair in and turned to the general, who appeared to be absent minded, his hands tugging to redo the belt around his waist. He smiled softly at this. ‘’ General,’’ he remarked. ‘’ How was your evening?’’

Prior looked up, his eyes regaining a little focus. ‘’ My evening was pleasant, lieutenant,’’ he replied. ‘’ And yours?’’

‘’ It was enjoyable. Major Bailey seems a nice man.’’

‘’ Yes.’’ Prior shook his head slightly as if to resume the rest of his attention. ‘’ Yes, well " lieutenant, I think I will retire for the night. It has been a long day.’’

‘’ Very well. Is there anything else I can do for you?’’

‘’ No, thank you, Dandy. I will see you in the morning.’’ Prior put his hand on the lieutenant’s shoulder as he passed and moved to the door. Taylor turned as he opened it.

‘’ General?’’ he asked before he left. ‘’ Has your opinion of Major Bailey changed from earlier?’’

The general didn’t answer. ‘’ Good night, Dandy,’’ he said instead and then exited the room. Taylor smiled to himself.

~~~

Bailey returned to his room on the ground floor just at the cries went up from the sentries, announcing that it was midnight and all was well. He closed the door and immediately after drawing the curtains across the windows, sat down on the end of the bed, his legs aching so much he could stand on them no longer. A weary hand rubbed roughly across his sore eyes and he yawned loudly, wanting nothing more than to curl up on his fresh bed and pull the covers over his head until morning. It was very unlike the usual discipline embedded into him by the military but the feel of the new sheets beneath his body was more than a little inviting for his throbbing muscles and sleep-deprived senses.

Dinners with his superior officers were little more than an obligation now. He knew how to act, how to speak, how to smile even and from experience, he knew how to fake things; not so much as to lie, yet just a sufficient amount to turn a drowsy gaze into one of attentiveness. General Prior didn’t seem to be too bothered about his appearance though, even after the forewarnings, as they had seemed to be, from Lieutenant Anderson. In fact, he had come across a friendly enough man. Nothing had, insofar, set him apart especially from the other generals he had met before but he had the air of a man with sense. He certainly appeared to be proud of his fort and inquisitive about his new arrival, even to the points of interrogation at times, yet every commander was this way initially. The only things Bailey could recall as specifically memorable had been his perfectly aligned ornaments and decorations and his slightly little height, though that could have been because of his dozy mind. Even the things the officers had mentioned at the forts along the way had slipped from his thoughts for the time being.

Arching his back to the delight of hearing it pop loudly, he unbuttoned the stifling jacket he was in and would have thrown it carelessly over a chair had it not been for the fact it was his first night at the fort and the general seemed to have a sharp eye for the untidy. He instead slung it over the hook on the door with slightly more grace and returned to his bed. He stopped when voices drifted in from the gap in the window.

Two young soldiers were giggling like schoolboys outside and through their seemingly drunken laughs, Bailey was able to pick up on a few of their words. And none of them were particularly complimentary.

‘’ How the man is still here I don’t know,’’ one sniggered unpleasantly. ‘’ My men haven’t raised their guns towards him yet and that, my friend, is a miracle, not how this damn fort survived the winter.’’

This induced another laugh from the other man. ‘’ Well, it looks like we’re gonna be here for a long while. Surely somebody’ll see sense in that time...’’

‘’ William’ll sort ‘em out,’’ was his friend’s simple reply. ‘’ And if he doesn’t...I will.’’

‘’ Right behind you.’’

And then they were gone, probably staggering off to their quarters. Bailey was too tired to pursue it any further. Though curious, he continued undressing and unceremoniously crawled under his covers, the first clean ones in what felt like forever.

TBC



© 2010 KittyDash


Author's Note

KittyDash
Taylor = Dandy/Lieutenant Anderson.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Still like it. Keep it up!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 28, 2010
Last Updated on November 28, 2010
Tags: Historical, Fiction, Slash


Author

KittyDash
KittyDash

United Kingdom



About
Hey everybody, I'm sure I'm not the only one to say I have not a clue what to put here! My name's Katie, to begin with, and I have been writing for a few years. I love to write and I like trying a lot.. more..

Writing
Stars Stars

A Story by KittyDash


Part 2 ~ Yates Part 2 ~ Yates

A Chapter by KittyDash