Chapter 10 ~ The Evening of An Eventful Day

Chapter 10 ~ The Evening of An Eventful Day

A Chapter by KittyDash
"

[M/M] [Protection in a Wild Land] A war torn major travels west to an isolated fort commanded by a man whose intentions become increasingly suspicious...

"

Chapter 10 ~ The Evening of An Eventful Day

Well. This day had been eventful.

It was the only way Major Bailey could describe the previous hours as he sat up in Prior’s office that evening. He had remembered the general promising that it would be a day off �" a day of relaxation for all our men because of their hard work, in his words �" but it had been anything but that. A surprise Indian raid on the herd was not exactly on Bailey’s agenda for a ‘relaxing’ day and it had rather frayed everybody’s nerves and dampened their spirits a bit, after the initial excitement of seeing Colonel Dawes’ and his small detachment march out of the fort in pursuit.

The dance that had been held had ended up being cut short by these Indians because of the sudden lack of interest and later that afternoon, when a large dinner had been set up, despite a slightly higher amount of happier faces, it still wasn’t enough to raise the mood again. Bailey had known that they were still worried �" more the civilians of the fort rather than the military �" and though the Indians hadn’t reappeared, nor had Dawes’ command.

Through all of it though, there had been a consistency. It remained General Prior’s birthday. Bailey found himself feeling a little sorry for him to have this one day of the year that was just his robbed away by a few marauders. He had seen him growing steadily more grim-faced as the afternoon wore on and by the evening, it appeared that he didn’t care anymore. Bailey wasn’t that surprised, if he was being honest. Especially when Taylor told him that his past birthday had also ended badly.

Eventually, the dinner had become too painful to witness anymore and Bailey had wandered up to HQ, seeing if there was anything he could do in Prior’s office because it certainly wasn’t anything like a day off anymore and there was no use in pretending. Currently, he was sitting and reading by the soft, flickering lamplight at Prior’s desk, the muffled sound of voices floating up through the slightly open window from the parade ground. Finally, he thought. Some time to relax.

It hadn’t lasted for long though. Within about quarter of an hour, the door opened again and the general entered, sighing loudly, as if to announce his arrival. Bailey immediately removed his feet from the nearby chair, reaching for his jacket. Prior shook his head.

‘’It’s alright, major,’’ he said quietly. ‘’It’s your day off after all.’’

Bailey smiled weakly. There was a significant lack of conviction in that statement. ‘’I’m sorry,’’ he said, putting down the book amongst the paper on Prior’s desk. ‘’This day didn’t exactly go as planned, did it?’’

Prior didn’t reply, instead taking off his jacket and hanging it on the stand near the door. His face said it all.

‘’Well, at least the Indians didn’t come again,’’ Bailey tried. ‘’I mean, things could have been worse.’’

Prior shrugged. ‘’Let’s not dwell on it, major,’’ he said and his voice was low and sharp, very unlike his usual tone.

‘’Very well, sir. Happy birthday anyway.’’

‘’Thank you.’’ Prior sighed again, more of a yawn this time, and took a seat near Bailey. The major watched as he rubbed his eyes and stretched a little. He was about to comment when the door opened and Taylor entered, followed by Colonel Dawes, clad in dust and dirt. Bailey’s heart skipped a beat or two as relief suddenly flooded into him. Just a few scratches. He wasn’t broken.

‘’General, Colonel Dawes’ detachment has returned,’’ the lieutenant said. Prior nodded.

‘’I can see that, Dan…lieutenant, thank you.’’

Taylor looked down, a small blush tinting his cheeks momentarily, then stepped out of the way. Dawes stepped before the general’s desk and saluted.

‘’Good evening, general,’’ he said simply.

‘’Well, that’s the end of a good uniform, isn’t it?’’ Prior remarked, still in that sharp tone. Bailey frowned, rather surprised at the choice of opening statement. He turned to the general but there was no humour in his eyes. ‘’How is your detachment, colonel?’’

‘’Fine, sir. Every one of them. I split them up two ways to try and encircle the Indians with the herd but we joined and regrouped safely and there are only a few minor wounds.’’

‘’And what of the herd?’’

‘’20 were stolen, sir. We recaptured 15.’’ Dawes smiled. Bailey knew this was an achievement. He felt pride surge through him for his friend.

‘’15? What happened to the other 5?’’ Prior commented. Bailey turned to him again, frowning once more.

‘’General �"‘’ he heard himself say before Dawes replied a little slowly, obviously rather surprised himself.

‘’Well, sir, the Indians got away with them. But we got 15 back. That’s our best so far.’’

Prior nodded absent-mindedly. ‘’Very well. Congratulations, colonel. You and your men served us in a good manner today.’’ Again, Bailey noticed the lack of conviction in his statement. ‘’However, those horses are very important to this post. Next time, I will expect all of them returned. After all, you and your men have had plenty of experience in that field.’’

Bailey looked up at Dawes, gritting his teeth slightly. Dawes looked down at the floor momentarily, nodding slowly. The major bit into his cheek to keep himself from saying something.

‘’Well, colonel. Thank you again for your work today,’’ Prior continued. ‘’Now, if you please, could you ensure that the returned horses are all delivered to the quartermaster safely and also that there isn’t a commotion about what has happened. It has been a long day and I do not wish for everybody to be excited by it anymore.’’

Bailey could take it no longer at this stage, the weariness in Dawes’ eyes pushing him over the edge. ‘’General,’’ he said. ‘’General, I’m sorry, but the colonel has been working hard constantly for hours out in the field, defending us and bringing back our horses, as you say. Surely, you can get someone else to do these jobs. He must be exhausted already.’’

‘’Major, he is a colonel; he is used to these �"‘’

‘’General, it’s simply not fair. It’s his day off too.’’

Prior paused. He stared at Bailey for a moment or two, blinking once, twice, three times, before turning back to Dawes, still standing there and now fiddling with his hands. ‘’Well, colonel, you heard. I will hand these jobs to another man.’’

‘’I will do it, general,’’ Taylor volunteered.

‘’Thank you, Dandy.’’ The general nodded and then did the same to Dawes. ‘’You’re dismissed, colonel.’’

‘’General.’’ Dawes saluted and then exited, Taylor following and suggesting that he get something to eat and retire to his quarters for the night. As the door closed to the office, a heavy silence suddenly fell over it. Bailey looked down at the papers on the desk, thumbing absent-mindedly through his book, before eventually raising his head and turning to Prior.

‘’General,’’ he said. ‘’I’m sorry for doing that but �"‘’

‘’Major, if you ever interrupt me or tell me what to do again, you’ll be in bloody trouble.’’

Bailey fell silent, shocked. He stared into Prior’s eyes, trying to determine if he was being serious or not. When he saw he was, he immediately stood and collected his book from the desk. Without another word, he swept out of the room, restraining himself from slamming the door shut behind him.

TBC



© 2011 KittyDash


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on March 17, 2011
Last Updated on March 17, 2011


Author

KittyDash
KittyDash

United Kingdom



About
Hey everybody, I'm sure I'm not the only one to say I have not a clue what to put here! My name's Katie, to begin with, and I have been writing for a few years. I love to write and I like trying a lot.. more..

Writing
Stars Stars

A Story by KittyDash


Part 2 ~ Yates Part 2 ~ Yates

A Chapter by KittyDash