Chapter Length Doesn't Matter - Get Over It!

Chapter Length Doesn't Matter - Get Over It!

A Chapter by byPatKeegan
"

I see a lot of feedback on chapter length..too long, too short...does it really matter?

"

Ok for the first time in my writing life I’m going to give you the punch line first.


When it comes to chapter length, who the hell cares?


I do not think that chapter length, in and of itself, matters at all. For every novel where you think the chapter is too short, I can find a published one that is shorter, and similarly for longer ones.


What matters are the things I’ve been discussing up to this point. If you don’t get those things right: identification, conflict, action, resolution, emotion, etc. who gives a damn how long your chapters are?


I have a sneaking suspicion though, that folks who provide comments about chapter length might be alluding to a deeper problem with your story (or their lack of attention span) and are either not able to vocalize what it is, or are afraid to hurt your feelings.


Maybe they think your chapters are too long because your story is boring to them. Perhaps you are not creating enough identification? or have no dramatic conflict?. Or maybe they say they are too short because they just can’t get enough of the action you’re feeding them. My point is that I believe if they are bringing up chapter length as a critique, it’s probably something else.


I put chapter length up there with “writing style” of which I don’t have much room to comment,  because criticizing someone's style is more like a judgment than a real critique to improve someone's writing. For that i say “to each his (or her) own”.


To me there really are very few things that are important to writing a good story, but those few things are critical. And I just don’t find chapter length to be one of them. I've read chapters that are sixty pages long and when I’m through I can’t believe how quickly they went! And I've read chapters that are less than three pages and thought that they would never end.


If you’re one of those folks that is bothered by short chapters, I encourage you to try a different perspective. Short chapters are a technique employed by NY Times bestselling authors like James Patterson, who uses very short chapter length deliberately as a technique to get readers to keep turning pages because the next chapter is just a couple of pages away.


There are about 350 words to the typical paperback page (or so Google told me) on WritersCafe, the first page of my story is 820 words, or just under 2.5 paperback equivalent pages. In my story Sight, the first 6 chapters consist of about 8400 words, which would be about 24 pages in a typical paperback, but only 6 pages on Writerscafe. So what does it matter? It doesn't.


Bottom line is, if you are worried about how long your chapters are (or someone else’s for that matter) you probably have other things that you should be much more deeply concerned about.


There are so many things that writers get sidetracked on, or provided feedback on that don’t really matter at all. I just feel that chapter length is one of them.



© 2013 byPatKeegan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A word on Style...
Style matters in terms of clarity and readability. Not only must an author make sure his writing is understood, but he must also make sure his is getting across the message he intends to get across.

Style matters in pacing. Like shorter scenes and shorter chapters, shorter sentences can ramp up the pacing of the story for the reader. A variety in style of sentences can also establish a rhythm in prose almost like the cadence of poetry. Variety in length and form also spices up the style helping to keep a reader's attention better.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
K. D. Kromminga

11 Years Ago

Well clarity and readability are the basics of style, they are concepts that have to be learned befo.. read more
byPatKeegan

11 Years Ago

Too true :)
Chapter length, like scene length is very relevant either for pacing or dramatics elements in a story. James Patterson purposefully writes short chapters to increase the pacing of his books, to keep the reader on a breathless roller coaster from beginning to end. The same in turn applies to longer chapter lengths, which can be used to slow the pace of a story and ease the reader tension(lull them into relaxing just before you spring the next surprise on them). Whatever the chapter length is as far as pacing is concerned a chapter should always end at a point of dramatic tension.
Examples of different types of chapter ends include:
1. right before the reveal of a mystery.
2. Eminent conflict
3. A shocking event
4. Character vow or declaration.
5. An epiphany or 'aha' moment.
6. Introduction of something that turns the story upside down.
7. Any major or main plot turning point.
8. Etc. (you all can come up with dramatic tension events too).

So to reiterate chapter length should depend on the pacing requirements of the story and the dramatic intentions of the author. Same goes in smaller context to scenes except for plot turning points in scenes are usually more minor elements(unless the scene ends the chapter of course). That is the main difference between scene ends and chapter ends. To use a road analogy, scenes are the minor signposts(shorter scenes mean higher velocity) along the road of your story telling you what path you are currently on, chapters are the major signposts telling you when you need to prepare to change direction(which is why a reader feels that they are on a rollercoaster when you change direction a lot: hint hint).

Posted 11 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
K. D. Kromminga

11 Years Ago

Some may not consciously construct chapter length with deliberation as far as pacing is concerned as.. read more
byPatKeegan

11 Years Ago

Definitely agree. I did like the technique that Patterson used though. Interesting to think about. I.. read more
Oh. Oh. OH!!! So that's why some people say I should put chapters out faster!! They like my work! Cooool!! Your work is cooler though. This will really improve my manuscript. This book and my notes (which are VERY detailed) will help. Thanks, you are a badass!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


byPatKeegan

11 Years Ago

To me, the sound they make is even more disturbing...please tell me you've seen the Robot Chicken sp.. read more
char

11 Years Ago

Then I would be a liar. I did see the Family Guy version, though. That nodding scene still annoys me.. read more
byPatKeegan

11 Years Ago

omg...youtube "Robot Chicken Emporer's Phone Call" and "Robot Chicken Hold the Elevator" there are a.. read more
Anna sent me, and all I can say is that she was right, you are spectacular :) Insightful, telling us things we already know and helping us to realize where we go wrong with them and we do, we all have to admit to it :) I will be keeping an eye on you and probably recommending you to everyone I know.

Posted 11 Years Ago


byPatKeegan

11 Years Ago

I'm truly at a loss for words. I'm not too good at taking compliments, but thank you very much for t.. read more
Shannen Forrester

11 Years Ago

I suggest you learn to take them :) you will be getting a lot more if Anna and I have anything to sa.. read more
Very Helpful Ilove it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


byPatKeegan

11 Years Ago

Thanks!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2013
Last Updated on February 28, 2013


Author

byPatKeegan
byPatKeegan

Chicago, IL



About
If you're here, it's no accident. Randomness is simply fate less revealed. Thank you for wanting to find out more about me, and for taking the time to read my work. I sincerely hope that they leave.. more..

Writing
Sight Sight

A Book by byPatKeegan


First Mistake First Mistake

A Chapter by byPatKeegan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Mom My Mom

A Poem by SimpleMind