Enough.

Enough.

A Poem by C.J.G.
"

love hurts. you all know that.

"

I try to write about other things, 

Other people, other feelings, 

But I always find myself 

Half way through 

Printing depictions of the shadow 

You have put over my sunken head. 

I strive to describe the fireworks 

That once exploded in my heart 

From the sight of your eyes, 

But your overbearing arms 

Engulf the entire thought. 

I try to type words of beauty and elegance, 

But my fingers have become detached 

And aching 

To only graze over keys 

That become words of struggle and emptiness. 

I struggle.

Everyday I raise my head in a slow, 

Droning motion. 

Everyday I pull my feet off the bed 

And let them fall flat on the floor. 

Flat like the flatline of a lifeless heart. 

My lifeless heart. 

But I love you, 

And I know that is enough. 

© 2010 C.J.G.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This poem portrays a part of love which is not often explored in the myriad writings of other poets on the subject. Love is empowering but it is also draining and debilitating. One can be smothered by it, and all that one is becomes restricted somehow by the all-encompassing nature of love. When people say that love is blind, there is more truth to it than is often perceived through that simple statement. Love is also blinding. It changes how you see the world, and, as in this case, youre capabilities of describing or interpreting it. There is a balance that needs to be struck in order to function normally as an individual, and it is very complex to retain the important parts of your personality which make you what you are. Love takes that over, and makes it difficult to see past it.
This poem evokes that kind of melancholy and puzzlement with a gently intelligent perception. There is a three-dimensional sense to it - that love is overwhelming in more than one way. That perhaps the downside is less important than the positive effect of love, and that is all that really matters. But at the same time, it shows how there are negative effects which can come from such a positive feeling. That is a very acute point.
One could see this either way: as an unconventional love poem, which emphasises the positive by emphasising the negative; or as an examination of the negative aspects of such love.
An extremely interesting piece of work, with an intelligent depth of perception, and very well executed as a work of poetry.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Flat like the flatline of a lifeless heart.

My lifeless heart.
I loved that phrase,and every word reckoned so very true for me..thank you for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Whoa...this is really good....

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting poem. Good rhythm and flow. I liked the beginning where the speaker strives to write about something or someone else but never can. It brings a better vibe to the typical love poem. I also liked the repeated emphasis on flat near the end.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem has a fine nuanced subtle quality.

It seems to me there is a disjuncture between the object of affection and the fireworks recalled.

The essence of the poem is of hanging on to a certain experienced exquisiteness.

In a word, I believe the poet is still in love w/the initial experiences catalyzed by the lover more than the lover now in present time.

So I believe all of it but the last lines. The actual person is now the shadow of the previous catalyzer of bliss. "But I love yesterday's you" is closer to the point, methinks.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this kept my attention, and that's not easily done. There was this indecisiveness and vulnerability that made the character seem confused and fragile. It teters back and forth between memory and letting go...heartache and the mundane - this is translated into writing about 'other things' besides love, but somehow, like the Mafia, the person keeps pulling her back in. Some of the imagery appears very simple and unadorned like "printing depictions of shadows/you have put over my shrunken head"... "I try to type words...but my fingers become detached" but really, they strike at the core of the emotion, like a minimalist sculpture. The ending too lends no resolution, which I like, and seems almost a re-affirmation, or even masochistic clinging to love...which intrigues on a psychological level and maybe speaks of love in general...

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really really like this. I've never seen a poem quite on this topic before. I definitely know the feeling though. There have been many times that I've sat down and said I was going to write something happy, something uplifting and then as I re-read my work at the end I realize that the piece slowly turned into something sad, reflecting my current feelings rather than what I wanted to portray. I love the last two lines though.

"But I love you,
And I know that is enough"

Excellent job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is incredible. The last line is haunting. This poem gets to me because it's how I've felt lately. I sit down and try to write something happy, but I just can't.. it always turns sour. This is a fantastic write, you really portrayed the emotions well. Great job! :D

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

530 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 18, 2010
Last Updated on June 22, 2010
Tags: love, pain, ache, hurt

Author

C.J.G.
C.J.G.

NY



About
Just trying to meaning in a meaningless world. more..

Writing
Underbelly Underbelly

A Poem by C.J.G.


Caves cave Caves cave

A Poem by C.J.G.


Lay Lay

A Poem by C.J.G.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blackbird Blackbird

A Poem by Sara


Like a Dream Like a Dream

A Story by Albatross