Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty

A Story by cRaYoNs sTaLk mE
"

Sleeping Beauty is in coma. Her best friend tried to kill her and her parents don't care about her anymore? Sleeping Beauty re-write in the modern world.

"

It happened two years ago. Everyone knew the story. Even every now and then the news station mentioned Dawns tragic accident. They would bring it up and just say, “How sad”. Everyone seemed to know her story, but they didn’t know her. They have only seen her from afar. The world didn’t seem to care about a normal girl like Dawn.

They didn’t seem to care that her best friend, Mille, was mentally insane. They didn’t seem to care that she was the one that caused the accident, just because she wasn’t invited to Dawn’s 16th birthday party. When in reality her invitation actually just got lost in the mail. No one seemed to care that Dawn had fallen into coma, and will never get two years of her life back. No one seemed to mind that her parents stopped visiting her, just because they just couldn’t deal with seeing her anymore.

No one cared. After all she’s just asleep. It’s not a big deal. No one says that, but everyone knows that they think it. Then no one cared when Dawn had her name changed to Rose and the story of Dawn, the coma girl, became almost a myth.

“Phil, stop this now.” A commanding, but calm voice came from behind him. He turned around, already knowing who it was, to see a girl about the same height as him, dressed in designer clothes. It was obvious she had just come from a photo shoot.  “You know Mother will be furious with you.”

Phil rolled his brown eyes and then opened the car door. “Anna, I don’t care. I just need to get away from all of this.” He referred to all of the mansions around him. “And it’s my choice if I go see Grandma in the hospital or not. Just because mother hates dad’s family doesn’t mean I have to too.”

Anna sighed, “I guess you never were like the rest of us, Phillip.” She paused, “But I still can’t decide if that’s a good thing or not.”

“Bye, Anna.” Then he got into the car and pulled out of the driveway.

It took Phil a couple of hours to get to the hospital. He didn’t mind it though, the farther away the better. He didn’t want to be recognized as the guy whose parents are loaded. Or that guy who everyone wants to be friends with just because you think he will give you money. No he just wanted to be known as a normal guy for once.

When Phil finally arrived at the hospital he went to find his grandma’s room. When he reached the floor her room was on, Phil was surprised to find it so busy. Doctors seemed to be running around everywhere. Despite all of the commotion there was one thing that seemed out of place. A girl, with long dirty blond hair, that seemed unkempt, just sat on a bench. She went unnoticed by everyone around her. Yet she watched everyone so intensely. Phil just ignored her like everyone else and passed her to enter his grandmother’s room.

She was still asleep. But Phil half expected that. After all she had surgery just a couple of hours ago. “Hey grandma,” He greeted her, even though he knew she couldn’t hear. “I bet you are surprised to see me here.”

Before he continued a sweet voice from behind him rang in his ears. “I know I am.”

Phil turned around to see the girl with the wild hair sitting in one of the chairs in the room. “I’m sorry, do I know you?” The girl looked oddly familiar, but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

The girl didn’t react how Phil thought she would. She looked shocked. Her mouth hung open wide. “Wait, you can see me?!” She half yelled.

Phil’s eyebrows furrowed together. “What do you mean by see you? Of course I can. And how do you know me?” Was he on some sort of game show right now? Maybe in a few minutes they will come out with some camera’s saying ‘You just got punked!’

“Um, forget about what I just said. A lot of people just ignore me that’s all.” The girl tried to cover up. “We use to go to the same school two years ago. We even lived in the same neighborhood.

Phil felt a little bit embarrassed for not remembering her. Although when you are surrounded by different people every day, it’s hard to remember who everyone was. “Sorry, I don’t really remember who you are.”

The girl shook her head, “It is okay. After all it’s probably for the best.” She paused, “My name’s Rose by the way.”

“Phillip,” An old wavering voice called, “Why are you talking to yourself?”

He turned around to see his grandma awake with a worried expression on her face. He tried to explain, “Grandma, I’m not talking to myself, I-”

She cut him off, “Oh it must be one of those cell phone ear piece things. I’m sorry Phillip.”

Rose walked up to his side, “She can’t see me, Phil. Actually, nobody can.”

“Um, grandma, would you excuse me for a bit so I can finish my phone call?” Phil said stepping outside. He looked back to see the girl following her. He put his phone up to his ear and said to her, “Okay, now that it looks like I’m not talking to myself, what is going on?”

“Exactly what I said before. You are the only one that can see me.” Rose said.

A nurse with some kind of cart came towards them. Phil stepped out of the way, but Rose just kept walking and she passed through the cart and the nurse like a ghost. “Wai-Wait a minute, you are a ghost?”

Rose shrugged, “More or less.” She changed direction, “Here, follow me.” She went into a room just a couple of doors down. Phil sighed but followed. There was something about this girl that made him want to follow her. Maybe it was the fact that she seemed so normal in such an unnormal situation.

When Phil entered the room he saw Rose lying in a bed hooked up to so many machines. At first he wondered if Rose was playing some sort of trick on him. But then he heard her voice beside him, “That’s me. For two years I’ve been like this. My parents don’t even visit me anymore. They even moved away. They changed my name and they don’t even pay the hospital bills anymore, my aunts do. I guess I’m just too much of a burden. The last time my aunts came in here to talk to the doctor they mentioned that they might turn off my life support and that I’m just eating up all of their money.” She paused, “Maybe it’s for the best.”

Phil looked at her, “You’re real name is Dawn, right?” She didn’t reply. “I don’t know why I didn’t put it together until now...”

“Don’t tell anyone.” Dawn said. “If anyone finds out that I’m here still…”

Phil faced her, “Don’t worry. I won’t say anything.” He paused and looked at the real Dawn. “Can I come visit you again?”

“Come tomorrow.” Dawn said with a smile on her face. “I’ll be waiting.

Phil smiled, “I’ll see you then.” He exited her room and headed back to his grandma’s room. “Sorry about that Grandma. I didn’t mean to wake you with that phone call.”

She smiled, “It’s all right dearie. I’m feeling much better now. You know I see your sister in all of these magazines now. How is she doing?”

“She’s doing just fine. Anna wanted to see you but she had a job she had to go to.” He lied through his teeth.

Before either one of them could say anything a nurse came in. “Excuse me sir, visiting hours are over. I’m going to have to ask you to leave now.”

Phil turned to his grandma. “I’ll see you tomorrow then. Take care of yourself.” And then he left. Strangely enough, this was probably the best day he has had in a long time.

The next day he came back. He brought two vases of flowers, one for his grandma’s room and one for Dawn’s room. Phil visited his grandma first. They talked for a while before she fell asleep. Phil was surprised that he didn’t see Dawn wondering around the Hospital. Maybe she was in her room or something.

Phil entered the room. He was surprised to see that she had visitors. In the room stood three older women, which were most likely Dawns aunts. He also recognized a girl his age called Mille. He remembered that she was Dawns crazy best friend that caused the accident.

Mille was crying, “I-I just can’t stand it anymore. Seeing her like this. Sh-she would never want th-this. Please. It would be what she would want. She always worried about others. I’m sure she would understand your financial situation. Bless her soul.” Mille sobbed. The three aunts had a worried look on their face.

“Stop your fake crying Mille!” Dawn screamed, wish they could hear her. “You were my best friend! You know I don’t want this! You have no right to do this to me!”

Phil placed the vase of flowers down loudly, making his presence known. “You’re wrong Mille.”

“Who are you?” One of the aunts said.

“My name is Phil. I’m a friend of Dawn’s- I mean Rose’s.” He corrected himself.

“Friend!” Mille exclaimed. “You were never a friend to her! If you were a friend, then did you ever know that she had loved you!? No. You put her through pain. And now I’m giving her the chance to be happy.”

Dawn stepped in between Mille and Phil. “Stop it Mille! Stop saying stuff like that! I hate you so much.”

Phil shook his head, “Everyone knew it was you who caused the accident Mille. You tried to kill her and now you are trying to kill her again. It’s true that she always put others before herself. Isn’t that just more of a reason to save her? Don’t you think she should be able to be a little selfish too?” He turned to her aunts and said, “I’ll pay for it all. I’ll pay for every last cent of it.”

Mille spat at him, “Why do you care if she lives or not?”

Phil took in a deep breath, “Because, I love her.” He looked at Dawn, who was now looking at him with tears streaming down her face, and was smiling from ear to ear. “And I know she will pull through, because she is the strongest person I’ve ever met.” He paused, “So if you don’t mind, I would like some time alone with Dawn.” All of the aunts looked at each other and nodded. They also dragged Mille out of the room.

Dawn finally was able to talk, “Did you really mean what you said?”

Phil smiled, “Yes, I did.”

“Excuse me sir,” A nurse walked in, “Visiting hours are over.” Phil was getting slightly annoyed at these visiting hours rule.

Phil nodded, “Can I at least say good bye first?” The nurse nodded and left. Phil then walked over to Dawn’s bed side. He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. Then he whispered, “I’ll see you tomorrow Dawn.” When he turned around to leave Phil didn’t see her anywhere. But he didn’t think too much of it. But before he exited her room he heard a gaging sound. He turned around to see Dawn’s eyes were open. He rushed to her side. She was probably bothered by the breathing tube that was in her throat. “Nurse!” He yelled.

People seemed to spill into the room. Phil was pushed aside along with the three aunts that had run in. Once everything had settled down a little, they were allowed to be next to her bed. Dawn had been looking around. She seemed a little confused. Phil took her hand carefully. Would she remember him?

Then Dawn looked over at Phil. She just stared at him, like she was trying to solve an impossible puzzle. Finally she spoke. Her voice was soft and horse as the first words she spoke were, “I know you, I’ve met you once upon a dream.”

Phil smiled and squeezed her hand gently and said with tears in his eyes, “Yeah, something like that.”

© 2011 cRaYoNs sTaLk mE


Author's Note

cRaYoNs sTaLk mE
This is just kind of a general idea and a first writing of it. I wanted to write a little bit more but I was just to lazy. I think I need more depth to some othe the characters.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A bit more in depth wouldn't hurt. I like this, for it shows that no matter how hopeless a situation appears to be, one's hope and giving of faither to another can help. I like how Phillip stood up against Millie. Not alot of people would dare try to go against a crazy person. They can be very unpredicatable.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 13, 2011
Last Updated on March 13, 2011
Tags: Sleeping, Beauty, Coma, Phillip, Phil, Rose, kill, crazy, love, tears, crying, aunts, grandma

Author

cRaYoNs sTaLk mE
cRaYoNs sTaLk mE

About
I love to take pictures, write, and sing. And yes if you were wondering, crayons do stalk me.... it's always the red ones.... I write likeOscar WildeI Write Like by Mémoires, journal soft.. more..

Writing