Behind Your Mask

Behind Your Mask

A Poem by A.Lee

Stop pretending that you care

I can see right through your lies

You pretend you love us oh so much

When you only really despise

If it’s a task that helps you out

Or if you’ve had a perfect day

Then you’ll spare your precious time

To send a smile our way

But otherwise its far too hard

To come by when you can

There’s just no point in wasting time

To lend a helping hand

You hide behind your so-called love

For God and human beings

Pretending that you love the world

When you never really see it

I don’t know why I try so hard

To show such love to you

I don’t unleash the wrath I’m due

I let go half-way through

But you never notice the good in us

And you’ve never tried to ask

I see that you don’t truly care

You just hide behind your mask

© 2010 A.Lee


Author's Note

A.Lee
Another annoyed poem. I don't mind constructive criticism on this one. I know its not too great; it just came out this way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You're just really good with your emotions with words. Don't stop pouring them out. Really good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Super-strong poetry, with an ultra-powerful ending! I admire you for writing this...it might feel ugly to write it, but it reads like beautiful truth! ㋡

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nicely said! I think we know the same people. :) I thought this was an excellent poem, well written and it flowed very nicely. Keep writing, girl. You have talent.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The funny part. You can see the people who don't give a nickle. I don't like liar and cold heart people. Sooner or lately the true face appears. A outstanding poem. I believe we receive back what we give to other people. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really wish you wouldn't say in your author's note that "I know this poem isn't..." or any variation of such. You are a good writer. You should be confident enough to express pride in your words, but humble enough to take criticism. You've got the humble part down, but I'd love to see more of your confidence. because really, I saw nothing wrong with this poem. It flowed great, it expressed what it needed to express. I could relate to the feeling well. The rhyme scheme was fine.
The only advice I can give is to maybe separate the verses, but that's not even necessary. Keep writing. You're on to something.

Posted 13 Years Ago


As someone told me not too long ago, get down what you feel, you can always go back and polish up later. Honest emotion makes for good writes, I believe. This piece is no exception. Great job with this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This one flows really, really well. It's a really good piece of work. It also has subtle power concealed within its simplicity.

I think the reader can clearly know the person you're descrbing: the hypocrite - the one who has a standing order with their bank for charities but doesn't want tramps in their street; the politician that's seen kissing a baby but cuts government spending on family credit; waitresses who say 'Have a nice day' without looking and curse you for the meagre tip when you've gone; the one who shows concern but doesn't listen when you speak.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is really good. Sometimes we find our better work/ ideas by just letting it flow. the piece has a ton of emotion in it, anger and sadness. Unique because it is not a sadness for an individual but for a group or family. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Vin
I really like this, it definitely struck a nerve with me on the subject of people living a lie. Well done, you made great use of the annoyance you felt :)
Thank you for sharing.

-Beth

Posted 13 Years Ago


yet ANOTHER wonderful poem. The flow is great and and you got the message across really really really well.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

555 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 27, 2010
Last Updated on April 27, 2010

Author

A.Lee
A.Lee

Monroe, GA



About
I am lots of things, but here you'd identify most with the writer and avid reader. I have three beautiful children. The oldest boy, Seth, passed last year after fighting a long battle with cancer. .. more..

Writing
One Thousand One Thousand

A Poem by A.Lee


Whisper Whisper

A Poem by A.Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..