Madness

Madness

A Story by A.Lee

Squirrels darted out of the way as the girl ran through the forest.  She threw branches aside, knocking spiders and inchworms off balance as they wondered what was wrong.  She was usually such a peaceable girl.  Sad, but peaceable.  Not today.  Today she ran as fast as she could to the clearing, not caring what was in her way. 

 

The oaks opened their arms as the girl they’d come to call their own flung herself into the clear open space and buried her face in the lush grass, drenching it with her tears.  As if a silent command was given, they spread their thick branches, weaving them into a dark green curtain.  They knew she would want to be alone.  Their leaves rustled in worried anxiety as they watched her frail body shake, contorting with each gut-wrenching cry.

 

They didn’t know where the girl had come from, but from the day she first wandered into the clearing they taught her everything nature had to offer.  They rocked her to sleep in their leafy branches, humming the secrets of the world into her dreams.  But as she grew, the child that they knew slowly began to disappear.  She no longer danced with the golden butterflies or sang along with the warblers and the finch.  She came running to the clearing every night, begging for the comfort that nature brought as her tears turned the warm brown dirt to mud.

 

Today was the worst.  The sky darkened as she continued to cry releasing the stories of her life through her tears.  Friends who’d loved and abandoned her.  A mother who hated everything about her.   A boy, handsome, but he didn’t understand.  No one understood their girl.  As hard as she tried, nothing seemed to work out.  They rustled their leaves in discontent.   

 

They watched, helplessly, as the rain began to pour.  She lifted her face, allowing the angry drops to sting her skin.  She wanted to give up.  She wanted to allow the only thing that ever comforted her, to take her into its arms forever.  She pleaded silently for the rain to wash her away, but it only came crashing down harder.  With a shrilling scream, she flung herself into the nearest tree banging her fists against its unrelenting bark.  The thunder roared, drowning out her cries.  She couldn’t take it anymore.

 

She wouldn’t.

 

Sinking to the ground, she leaned her head against the oak’s hollow trunk.  She closed her eyes, allowing the violent rain to pound into her skin as she gave in to the madness that was her life.

© 2010 A.Lee


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Author's Note

A.Lee
I don't know where this came from... it just came.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story was very good. You surprise me with this one. I like the description and the character in the story. Could feel the rush and movement in your words. A excellent story. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


This has alot of spectacular imagery, I loved visualizing everything. I can tell this was written out of somewhere that you're not sure of because I can see this being interpreted in may different ways. Great work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderfull vivid, excellent write! xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a fantastic write. The emotion pours off the page and the imagery is wonderful. A snapshot in time.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Kind of fantasy-like. Reminds me of the LOTR imagery with the living trees. Also, it shows how destructive human nature can be against the backdrop of mother nature. Very though provoking.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Cattie, you are definately a poet, at heart. Even your story sings of poetry. How lovely for you to write of nature being someone's closest friend and comfort. What a lovely idea, indeed. This piece was very well written and an absolute pleasure to read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was just... wow. I love this. Fantastic job! :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow...that's good. Very well written and an intersting short story. I like it and of course can relate to the girl. Veeeerry Nice

Posted 13 Years Ago


Love it! I can understand why she would just submit to the madness, after a while you just feel you don't have the strength to continue fighting what ever it is your fighting, and she did. Wonderful story!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is full of emotion and imagery. I love this. You describe in a very detailed way how nature makes me feel and I was once that girl running a and singing in the woods. It is still my home. Very nice.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1113 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on April 29, 2010
Last Updated on April 30, 2010

Author

A.Lee
A.Lee

Monroe, GA



About
I am lots of things, but here you'd identify most with the writer and avid reader. I have three beautiful children. The oldest boy, Seth, passed last year after fighting a long battle with cancer. .. more..

Writing
One Thousand One Thousand

A Poem by A.Lee


Whisper Whisper

A Poem by A.Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fear Fear

A Poem by HorrorMaster


Trouble Trouble

A Poem by Tate Morgan