Different Than You

Different Than You

A Poem by Caleb Benton

Why is it that so constantly,

I find you looking down on me?

Why is it that no matter what I do,

I am marked as different than you?

For me, the difference is taken in stride.

Actually, it's more a badge of pride.

We are all different, yet all the same,

God made me, yet you can't blame,

Him, who made you, almost the same.

You say I'm odd, I say unique,

What does it matter, with the future so bleak?

So go right ahead, criticize me!

Really, how hard can it be to see,

that I'm not gonna be along for a ride

That is as constant as the tide.

I want to make my own path.

Dont you see? It's simple math.

The road less traveled is rare to find,

but he who cuts his own, has his own mind.

© 2009 Caleb Benton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

God made me, yet you can't blame,
Him, who made you, almost the same.

I really like the content of this poem particularly the last three lines. I think a way to fix the syntax a little would be to remove some of the punctuation so the reader can establish their own flow.

God made me yet you can't blame
Him who made you, almost the same.

Awesome poem and I like the photo you picked. lol

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

while we are all such big fans of rhyme, i think that this could be EXTRAORDINARY if written a little more contemporary. some of the rhyming is stretched anyway, and I think you can really, really express yourself better if you gave yourself a little more freedom.
that being said, i like this. its an attack against those who all want to live cookie cutter people, or as "little people in the little boxes all made of ticky tacky." or something like that. and you are telling them that its okay to be different, its a good message I dont think ive seen so explicitly in a poem before. I like it. keep up the good word--and in spite of what i said, a lot of the language and word choice (I think) is really good.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Bravo!
I liked how you drew me in, and kept me until the end. Good job on that.
There were a few lines that either weren't long enough or short enough;
this one
"Why is it that no matter what I do,
I am marked as different than you?"
Neither of these quite fit. I'd change the first line to 'Why is it no matter what I do | I'm marked as so much less than you" or something like that.
"We are all different, yet all the same,
God made me, yet you can't blame,
Him, who made you, almost the same."
These three lines bothered me. I like the meaning, don't get me wrong, but neither the first nor the last quite fit. I would change the first line just a we bit--"We *all are* (instead of are all) different, yet all the same."
The second line is good, but the the third rhymes the same as the first. Can you find something else to rhyme with that?
Alright, now what I liked; It drew me in, made me keep reading, even though you were addressing a topic instead of telling a story. It takes real talent to do that, I'm saying! A lotta people try to write addressing a topic and it's just not very interesting, but you did really well.
Write on, brother!

Scott




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I Iike this very though prvoking. That last line just tops it all off

The road less traveled is rare to find,

but he who cuts his own, has his own mind.


Great Write

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very well said! So go ahead and criticize me......I wont be along for the ride. I like that point of view

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really loved this piece of writing a lot, this one is really so deep and thoughtful.
I also loved its flow too, it is very appealing to the reader.
Overall, a great write it is....Very well penned!
Keep writing...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Why is it that so constantly,

I find you looking down on me?" The beginning line really drew me in. Good rhyming, and I can really relate to this write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write man! I love the defense you're presenting which also leaves the subject vulnerable as well. I enjoyed!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Being different is so important and I think you captured that excellently! If everyone was the same life would be boring, not to mention more than a little comformist. I love the last two lines:

"The road less traveled is rare to find,
but he who cuts his own, has his own mind."

The road less traveled really is hard to find but its so worth it when you get there. Amazing work :)


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yeah, I also like the photo :) The poem is great too, I love the message of embracing your differences and being proud of it, using it to your advantage...and not letting others tell you you are no good because you don't fit into their picture of what is normal or acceptable. Love the whole thing, nice piece!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

676 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 26, 2009
Last Updated on September 11, 2009


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Jezebel Jezebel

A Poem by Destiny