Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by ★ Aeryn Harmonica Truckfinn ★

The doors opened and the crowd filed into the vast theatre. Amongst the swarm of people, a mother and her daughter shuffled through the entrance. A smiling man offered a program to the mother who took it and thanked him. As her daughter walked past, the man bent down and held out a program to her.

          

“Would you like one sweetheart?”

            

The girl looked to her mother who nodded and smiled.

            

“Yes, please.” The little girl replied, turning back to the man. He handed her the program and returned to distributing them to others. The mother and daughter proceeded into the auditorium and found their seats. The girl flipped the program over to the front. At the top, in fancy letters, was printed, The Wizard of Oz. She opened it and discovered a long list of names on either page.


 “Mom, what does the word cast mean?” The girl inquired.

            

“In this case, it refers to the actors and actresses that perform up on stage.” Her mother explained.

            

“Well, if these are all the actors and actresses, then who are all these other people? I thought those were the only people in the show.”

            

Her mother chuckled, “No, sweetie, there are lots of people who help backstage and around the theatre,” The lights in the auditorium dimmed, “But, right now we have to be quiet because the show is about to start.”

            

The house lights all went dark and a hush fell over the audience. The curtains parted, opening to show the grand stage. A spotlight came up, illuminating the scene created: a farm, complete with a house, a barn and rolling hills. A girl entered the stage, holding a dog. She spoke her lines, and her voice filled up the entire theatre.

            

As the musical continued, the little girl seated in the audience watched in awe. Everything about the performance amazed her: the way the actors always knew what to say and how their voices floated over the audience, loud and clear; the music that emanated from somewhere unseen; the way the curtains closed and opened seemingly by their own accord and how the scenes changed within a minute behind them; the lights that always knew where the actors stood; it was all magical. Before long, the curtains parted a final time and all the actors and actresses came out to take their bows. The little girl turned to her mother.

            

“Mom, where did the music come from? How did we hear the actors from all the way back here? How did they change the places we saw so fast? Where did all the dresses come from? How did the Wicked Witch melt? Mom, what about-“

            

“You have so many questions, dear!”

            

“Well, I want to know how everything works!”

            

Her mother smiled, “Maybe someday you will find out for yourself, Estelle.” 



© 2011 ★ Aeryn Harmonica Truckfinn ★


Author's Note

★ Aeryn Harmonica Truckfinn ★
Questions? Comments? Advice? =]]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this! It perfectly portrays a child's wonder at everything- in this case, a musical which is enchanting to any viewer- and sets us up for a wonderful first chapter! Good quality of writing and word choice as well. Can't wait to see the rest! :]

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this! It perfectly portrays a child's wonder at everything- in this case, a musical which is enchanting to any viewer- and sets us up for a wonderful first chapter! Good quality of writing and word choice as well. Can't wait to see the rest! :]

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nice beginning...let's see what's up next...........

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

479 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 13, 2010
Last Updated on May 19, 2011
Tags: Theatre, Drama, Stage, Broadway, Acting


Author

★ Aeryn Harmonica Truckfinn ★
★ Aeryn Harmonica Truckfinn ★

Smalltown, WI



About
Hey, I'm Erin, if you didn't notice. ^.^ Thank you for looking at my page and more importantly, my writing. I have always loved to write, mainly stories, but I think poetry is alright too. =]] I haven.. more..

Writing