Pericles

Pericles

A Chapter by Cari Lynn Vaughn
"

What Imogen/Elora's brother has been up to

"



Pericles


Earlier that day a young man was tending sheep at the foot of Asherah Mountain. He was wondering through territory that he’d never been through before. Normally his pastures were lower than where he had found himself that day. He kept his flock in the valley. Today one of his flock strayed away from the rest and found its way onto an old footpath up the mountain. Pericles paused to rest at the top of a steep incline. It was there that he noticed something glinting in the morning sun. He climbed up a couple boulders to investigate. There, stuck in crag, was a sword. It was not like any other sword he’d seen before. This one was lighter, thinner and shiner than the ones that the blacksmith in the village made. He pulled it out of the rocks and held it up. The crystal in the handle glowed. Though he had never needed a blade before he thought it might come in handy. If no one in Théoden claimed it, then he would learn how to wield it himself. Perhaps the great rebellion would consider letting him join their cause. Now he only had to find one of the elusive rebellion leaders


After he had gathered his heard back into their pen for the night, he made a trip to the village. He stopped for a drink at the Ranger Tavern. Pericles downed a couple of honey mead pints and was about to return home when he noticed a drone picking on a scrawny young man. The drone, programmed to bully, took the young man’s drink and kicked his chair out from under him. Drones neither drank nor ate, so they had no use for the drink. Instead of drinking it, they saw fit to douse the man with it. They cackled and turned to see whom else they could harass. Pericles was tempted to jump up and fight the drones with his new sword, but someone beat him to it. A man in a red cloak in the corner jumped up threw back his hood and used the end of his bow to knock the drone off of its feet. The other drone fired a blast at him, but he dashed out of the way. Pericles took this opportunity to join in and knock the blaster out of the drone’s hand with his new sword. He picked up the blaster and pointed it at the drone. That is when the drone set off his emergency alarm, which also sounded in the transporter.


The man in the red cloak came up behind Pericles. “We’d better get going. Backup is on its way and you don’t want to tangle with them!”


Pericles nodded and followed the man out the back door. As they escaped down the alley the man introduced himself. “By the way, I’m Lance Errol, part of the rebellion. What you did back there was brave.”


“Brave or stupid?” Imogen asked.


The two men looked up to see a beautiful woman standing in front of them. She wore a tight black tunic and black boots. Her long reddish-brown hair was pulled back into a nonsense ponytail. Imogene was blocking them from getting back out into the street. Behind her rallied Bast, Tazer and Sucker along with a number of drones. 


“Uh-oh!” Lance exclaimed.


“We meant no harm,” Pericles cried.


“You disturbed the peace. We have no choice but to arrest you,” Imogen said matter of factley.

Pericles pointed his sword at her. Before he could think of anything more to say, the sword glowed white hot and literally leapt out of his hand. It floated over to Imogene and fell at her feet.


“Odd,” Imogene commented as she bent down to pick up the sword.


“Then the sword belongs to you,” Pericles announced.


“No, I’ve never seen it before in my life,” Imogen replied. She looked it over. It felt different than the other swords she handled. It was lighter and fit perfectly into her hands. It was almost as if it were made for her.


It was at that moment that Pericles and Lance took the chance on escaping. Pericles ran in front of Lance and off to the right. Lance then took off to the left. Neither one of them got very far. Drones shot off stun beams, which hit their targets. Pericles and Lance collapsed to the ground, unconscious. They were loaded up into the transporter and taken to the Machine where they were thrown into prison cells.


That might have been the end of that if it hadn’t of been for Shadowfax the owl. The brown and white owl was a familiar to the Sylvia Sage Raziel and often a companion of Lance’s on his travels. He saw all that had transpired from the tavern rooftop. As the Hive leaders were taking his friend away, Shadowfax flew off.




© 2014 Cari Lynn Vaughn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on December 8, 2014
Last Updated on December 8, 2014
Tags: She-ra, He-Man, Shakespeare, Pericles, Imogene, Elora


Author

Cari Lynn Vaughn
Cari Lynn Vaughn

Mt Vernon, MO



About
Writing is not a hobby or career, but a way of life and way of looking at things. I've been writing seriously since I was 9 years old when I wrote, produced and starred in a play called "The Muggin.. more..

Writing