Referrals, Refreshers and Reminders

Referrals, Refreshers and Reminders

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

Special Update

"

Referrals, Refreshers and Reminders:


FREE PIZZA FOR ALL CAFE MEMBERS!


*snort**snapping of fingers*  Wake the hell up--y’all dreamin’ again!


It is Sunday morning here in Biloxi, Mississippi on this damn-near August day and I know…I know, I’ve been “off the air” for awhile, but it sure feels good to be back.  Not 100% yet, but you don’t start training by runnin’ the 12K, so I’m goin’ jus’ eeasse back into my regular programming and before long, folks, I’ll be delivering unrelated-to-anyone-but-me weather updates, my current mental status…always an exciting segment, and of course, the sweeping and hysterical trag…*ahem* saga that I call my marriage.


I arrived at the crime scene that used to be my little office very early today dee-damned-termined to reacquaint myself with…well, myself.  The best place to start soul searching is your perspective and reflections from an earlier time in your life so I reread:


Dying And Dyeing - Parts 1 and 2

Day Three - Dogs, Dirt and Nails

The Real Labor of Love


Damn, but I’m a funny, funny woman!  I mean, I crack myself up all the time, but I have to allow for limited neural/gray matter resources these days, so an accurate “reading” or baseline needed to be established.  Not back to peak levels, but I did cry some when I read about - OF ALL DAMN THINGS - my nails.  That my weak link, the chink in my armour would be a highly toxic resin shaped to appear as an actual body part is…disturbing?  Concerning?  Allow me to put a different spin on it - Read When Dragons Walk, then get back to me with your thoughts about my “weak…link”.


It was as I read the Dying and Dyeing’s, that I realized I could not properly honor my mother, display the appropriate respect with my grief until I had properly and fully grieved for myself.  I saw in full and complete detail the full extent of the damage to my naturally cheerful *cough* self, the inability…no, that’s not right…my unwillingness to publically expose my failings, find the funny, damn-somebody/something to hell and sign off to check my nails for chips that was such a heavy influence and trademark characteristic of my last summer’s self and it was a crushing blow to my spirit.  I cried for that weird, fierce wannabe badass I was, then.  I carry that chickie’s embers, in a safe place--they are heavily guarded and are ready to light the fire…when she’s ready to light up that fire.  Bottom line, my peoples, it looked like it might have been a close call, but ole cars and ole broads have always stood the rigorous testing of fools and over-crowded parking lots and this old model always starts right up…a new paint job and a little interior work, why folks, this here will be a good old work car (horse?) again.


To sign off this Sunday morning’s program, I felt a need for some spiritual, meaningful fare and reread Rites of Passage. It properly validated that I can write…and I have full and complete confidence that I will meet and exceed the level of word mastery I demonstrated in Rites, which is what I consider to be my best writing to date.

This is Miz Carol, signing off this morning in Biloxi, Mississippi, on Sunday, July 28th, 2019.

© 2019 Carol Cashes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I could see this becoming a regular blog, like say on FB, & becoming a cult favorite. The reason I say this is becuz, reading just one by itself can be a little hard to figure out. I mean, you leave a few holes that the reader must fill in. If we were reading you regularly, we'd be more dialed into the stuff that you've been referring to lately. I love your audacious style & I love how you admit cracking yourself up. I write mostly becuz I crack myself up & my life would otherwise be very drab & boring! I am so glad to see you back (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 28, 2019
Last Updated on July 28, 2019

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing