In Spirit

In Spirit

A Poem by Chris Shaw

We are in time a mote of dust,
a pin prick in an ocean sky.
While some may catch the comet's flare,
each one of us is doomed to die.
What causes some to burn so bright
when most live out their lives in night?

I'd like to dance above the clouds,
do cartwheels over mountains high.
Chase rainbows to the valley's end
and grow two wings so I might fly.
These things I may not do on earth,
but will in spirit with re-birth.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautifully captured thought Chris, which leads me to wonder if we remove religion and personal beliefs from the equation for a moment, leads to the wonder that seems so primal and ingrained into our dna, of why we all have the feeling of being finally free of bodily form so intense, that it leads to another thought of this "life" being an audition for whatever it is I feel and you felt strongly enough t pen these words.
The thought does seem to lead us somewhere beyond faith and into realms unspoken, felt and known.
I wonder why we wonder such wonders, beneath a starless night sky where even the atmosphere of our own planet can cover these night jewels, how we still sense them there, waiting for us to unchain ourselves from our gravity obeying shells and see and be them without the need for eyes.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to counting twinkles before that big twinkle returns (the sun) ☀️😊☀️

Posted 2 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lorry

2 Years Ago

Was taken 22th May 2016 and just came across it again. I think it was taken at Loch Lomond but from .. read more
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

The image is spectacular. You know there are nutters everywhere. Both sides of the border :)
Lorry

2 Years Ago

Yep, it's like an explosion in a snickers factory up here when the sun comes out to play. Nuts every.. read more



Reviews

I could not agree more to what you have so eloquently put in this wonderful piece. This is a fav. Chris one that I will remember through the day. Loved it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Dear Soren I am delighted that this little poem has become a favourite one for you. I am smiling big.. read more
' What causes some to burn so bright - when most live out their lives in night? ' What a thought.

(Many might use the word 'fright# instead - as per the helpline. ?)

Could say that your latter words are down to wishful thinking but, wonderful poet that you are, Chris. you can imagine, dream - and fly with your poetry, reaching the heights you've always wanted to attain. You have the words, for sure, are more fortunate than many who can only yearn for things they know they will never have. How tragic is that. Such a finely worded poem. Go for it.. will wave you off!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Em for sharing your thoughts. I wrote this little poem quite a while back. I can’t even .. read more
emmajoy

1 Year Ago

More than happy to catch up on poems I've not read whilst off and away laden 'all sorts to deal wit.. read more
Even though I am young, I know death is inevitable. As scary as that is, my only way of living is to enjoy each moment to the fullest. We do not know what awaits us after death, but wasting my life wondering will do me nothing. I'd like to think I can dance on clouds right now, and chase rainbows. I want to be one with nature, and the world, as I am a part of it. Every sunny day is refreshing, the rain is a song, and all the most beautiful things come from living and experiencing the world around us. Loved this poem!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Your review is full of the joy of youth. It is uplifting. I have many more years to my belt than you.. read more
It may be that our spirits find the peace our bodies never can and the longing of the flesh is finally fulfilled by letting go. I do not know but I will hope. I enjoyed the read.


Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Fabian. I appreciate you stopping by to read an old poem out for a breather.
Isn't it ironic? We are spirit, weighted down by our bodies; but most of all, by our minds. We could achieve so much; and yet, sadly, the majority of us don't. I think we actually fear greatness, and the world is only too happy to see us fail.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Linda for stopping by to share your thoughts. An older poem out for an airing.
This is a thought-provoking and beautifully written poem that invites the reader to reflect on the fleeting nature of human existence and the possibility of transcending it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Arthur for your encouraging review. Pleased you stopped by to share your thoughts.
those that burn brightest often burn out very fast, think i prefer to be an insignificant dust mote that floats along in my own little dream-world ..... and sees many generations and constellations of younger motes arriving to play their part..

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Hello dear Stella. You are of course right. Thinking about Amy Winehouse here after reading your r.. read more
only the narcissist worries about establishing a legacy. it's the task of those following.
our time here is but a fleeting moment that only came once.
and like the airplane sang ...
"But the human name
Doesn't mean s**t to a tree"

your writings have a consistency that speaks well of you. KUDOS!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Keith, begging your pardon. Somehow I missed your review, so better late than never with the thanks... read more
keith

1 Year Ago

thanks, i don't take it personal
i'm used to being out of sight/ignored!
no problem .... read more
Yes indeed, most of us live ordinary lives, with little if any claim to fame, but it has always been that way. Some people (particularly some artists) live frugal or poverty-stricken lives, and then find great fame after they are gone, whilst others (particularly artists again) are greatly celebrated during their own lifetime, only to fade or fall from grace after their earthly days are over. We can still enrich our lives in many ways, even if fortune and fame never come our way. As for the afterlife... only time will tell! A relevant and well-written poem, Chris!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Robert for sharing your thoughts. Most of us will be forgotten within a few generations, S.. read more
Your poem reminded me of an excellent novel called 'The Mote in God's Eye'. I realize this is not what your poem is about, but space tourism will allow us to dance and do cartwheels in the heavens. Or at least the rich will be able to. The rest of us will have to wait for afterlife.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Bill for sharing your thoughts about this older write. Like you I think it will only be th.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1042 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 15, 2018
Last Updated on May 15, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren