Going Back To My Roots

Going Back To My Roots

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

Christmas in the fifties in London, one from the archives.

"
It's just as I remember this home of long ago,
the thoughts still warm my spirits when I'm feeling low.
I hear the Christmas knees-up, late relatives at play,
I'm sitting on their doorstep, the ghosts are back today.

All handing round their presents, the laughter and the jokes,
the tinsel and the baubles, the dog-ends of the smokes.
My Grandad sports his braces, a pint glass in his hand
as I eat bowls of jelly, with fruit from out a can.

There's Stephen stuffed on pork pie, our Mum will have a fit,
Aunt Alice sloshed on sherry, she's getting on a bit.
Let's do the okey-cokey, we all stand in a ring,
my Nan leads on piano, not one of them can sing.

Now in come all the neighbours, the place is tightly packed,
the booze is on the dresser, the sandwiches are stacked.
The front door is wide open, we conga in the street
and everyone is having fun, it is our Christmas treat.

Us young ones find a table and hide beneath its top
and stay there telling stories until the music stops.
Then Nan comes to our rescue as we go off to bed,
there's four of us, one mattress, we snuggle head to head.

I'm unsophisticated but don't think that's a fault.
It's something that I'm proud of, I come from earth's plain salt.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this brings me back to my favorite Christmases ...the ones in NY in the 50's---the folks would put up the tree on Christmas Eve...
My mom's name was Alice, by the way.
got my train set i think when i was five...it was laid down around the tree...and then every year we put it back under there.
the trees were really tall ones as we had 14 foot ceilings...my dad would get up on a step ladder to put the angel on top of the tree.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thanks Jacob, sharing your childhood Christmas days. My aunt Alice was a favourite. Somehow Christma.. read more



Reviews

Lovely, quite lovely! Christmas really does hold some the best childhood memories.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Nolo. I appreciate your visit. All good wishes.

Chris
I really love this write, fun and light hearted...
You have talent, enjoyed this

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Brandie Jade. Pleased to see you visit. All good wishes

Chris
Very Christmassy poem! I enjoyed it, I kind of want to get into the Christmas spirit.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

I hope you get in the Christmas spirit soon. Thank you for your review. All good wishes.

read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
I've never read such heartfelt words about Christmas before....
How swiftly things got changed in these more than fifty years, no?
I feel that you're missing your roots and childhood a lot this time... perhaps you do at every Christmas?
Burden of responsibilities kept increasing on your shoulders....and life went on and on.....
A warm hug to you dear Chris....enjoy your merry times with grand children....have plenty of happiness.....Merry Christmas in advance :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks dear Tahsin for your lovely review. All warm wishes to you too.

Chris
¿

5 Years Ago

You're always welcome dear one :)
What a wondrous time of year! The glorious memories it conjures up for us. I remember, so well when I was the only one of four children and I had a rabbit. I was at my grandmothers' and she had a wonderful dog, Dukey. Dukey delighted in chasing the rabbit around the Christmas tree bringing squeals of laughter from all of us, thankfully never knocking the tree down.
Thanks for making us remember - Merry Christmas to you and yours - Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dave for your response and sharing your lovely memories. All the best to you.

read more
I think Christmas time is most special for the young. The bright lights all about and the fanciful music (here comes Santa Claus... Rudolph the red-nose reindeer) And then the promise of that magical night and the morning after with bountiful gifts. The way you describe yours with family and festivities, it's no wonder you love to think on those times. In my view, you were very fortunate. May the memories never fade.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello Samuel. I was very fortunate to have such fun with family at Christmas when I was young. Each .. read more
Oh wow, what a perfect homage to not only Christmas and family, but to the place from which we come. Many are so quick to discredit parts of our upbringing so it is pleasant to hear of the bits that made us who we are and give us the warm and glowing memories that feed our unsophisticated lives. So lovely Christine.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Crowley. London born and proud of it, as well as being very proud of my family roots.
read more
Those are the times to remember.. Christmas with hours of characters familial who leave a stamp on the memory for life through! Could add and echo but won't cos this is your masterpiece for this time of year, Chris. Ts a giant canvas of feelings, people and incidents.. your Family Perfect in its real life salt of the earth shape and scent. Wonderful!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Pleased to share my family and how we used to party Em. Very happy times. No money around, but we c.. read more
This is one of the best Christmas writes I've read in my life! I love it! Your irreverent humor is delightful, delivered on a lyrical flow of rhyme & rhythm! Great details to depict one possible scene of family peculiarity! We all have 'em! The final couplet really puts a loving seal on your fun raucous scene! Thanks for warming our hearts with holiday laughter! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello dear Margie. Pleased to be able to share my family nostalgia and warm your heart. Loved those .. read more
They really don't make em like they used to!
This made me smile, and remember my Grandad doing some bizarre form of tap dancing in a new pair of M&S slippers that he got every year for Crimble- have never really been sure what that was all about- but it happened at the same time every year!
And my old Mum, used to make some SERIOUS trifles!- with Dream Topping- hell yes!, in bowls so vast that I swear one could have popped a springboard on the rim and call it swimming pool
Lovely stuff!
Brought me a big shiny grin

All the best

Ali

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Ali for sharing your memories. Dream topping, yes, yes, yes. We used to have that too and .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

454 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 8, 2018
Last Updated on December 8, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Twelve Shoes Twelve Shoes

A Poem by Gee