Silence, a Virtue or Not?

Silence, a Virtue or Not?

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(make your own mind up, I wonder what my brother really thought)

"
I have heard it said, that hearing
is the last sense to depart
before the heart gives way.

That August day, I kept talking,
knowing he was walking close
to the crossroads of no return.
Knowing he was near to parting
and waiting for the sigh of his
last breath.

I didn't pause to rest.
I couldn't stop the waterfall 
of words cascading from my lips,
gentle whispers,
flowing in a stream.

In my grief, I believed my voice
should stay with him, he had no choice.
I wonder what he would have said
about this matter
and the constant chatter
he couldn't escape?

As I held his hand, maybe he would
complain I was nagging him to death,
or maybe he would understand that
I feared his lack of company
on a journey to eternity
without the bond of family.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

if he loved you as much as you loved him, the sound of your voice being his last memory on this earth may have eased any fears he may have had--about entering the unknown, but more importantly, it assured him that if you could keep talking, you'd be okay. Now, your "gentle whispers, flowing in a stream." comfort us in your poetry.



Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Carol for your thoughtful review.

Chris
how sad is this. you explain about hearing being one of the last senses to go when close to death but I see from your poetry you do everything you can to ignore this advice and this is driven through love. the tittle of your poem is magnificent because it totally throws on head what your poem is about and this is to confuse the reader into thinking deep about what you are writing about and I personally love and find this a fascinating way of writing poetry. the hold of hand did bring a tear to my eye as this is a sign of love as much as a kiss is which adds to your poetry. enjoyed dissecting your poetry and trying to get into your mind of why this is written and if you have personally experienced this they it is why this poem is written and if you are looking at it objectively then you have a wonderful way of expressing your feelings of leaving someone you love. thank you for sharing this great art Christine.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello duck, another fabulous review from you. This poem is factual. I did what I did on automatic pi.. read more
Silence is golden! is the rule, I doubt if silence is a desired virtue. Your brave send off is heart wrenching and comforting at the same time. I kept imagining your brother's slow departure from here to heaven was made gentle and easy because of your loving voice accompanying him. Your wonderful writings paint scenes of beauty and perfection. Happy new year Chris. Wishing you all the best in 2019.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Happy New Year Mrudula, hope 2019 is a good one for you. Thank you kindly for your most understandin.. read more
A very normal scenario between people and their loved ones yet you portrayed it with such powerful and vibrant words. It's absolutely incredible.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks mood-drika and Happy New Year to you.

Chris
moog-drika

5 Years Ago

Happy New Year :D
I'm sure your Brother knowing you were by his side would have only given him comfort knowing that you were there. And as for constant chatting as you tried to say the many things that you felt needed to be said I think we've all done that. We did it with my Grandfather and my two Grandmothers. It's strange that myself and my daughter were talking about something like this just last night. I believe that even though we lose someone close they can always hear what's being said and can give us small pointers in how to move on with life. Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed it

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you George. Strange that conversation with your daughter on similar lines. Pleased you enjoyed.. read more
He still hears you. Probably visits. It's what my family does!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thank yous Jon. Sending you all good wishes for the New Year.

Chris
This poem is the reason there should be some kind of Writer's Café Awards. It's so powerful, so accessible, so human. I've no doubt your voice was his greatest comfort, along with your hand in his. I wish I could hug you for writing this moment down so beautifully.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Your review Scott, is very generous and I thank you for it and for your visit. Happy New Year to you.. read more
You've truly made me stop, sit, wait and wait again before typing. You know how much I understand your words, your wonderfully placed words, simply put because too many emotions would blow the cover we all adopt when sat.sitting, lost in thought, wondering when or not to say yet more.. or less.. Which memory to mention, what moment of a day, when was.. .. sigh.

Sharing this just before the New Year seems right.. somehow. Thank you, dear Chris.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear Em, I will raise a glass to brothers this evening. A happier New Year to you.

Ch.. read more
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

We'll share a cup of wine, m' dear...
I understand this very well. I often think Im next in line for the river STYX But its the longing for familiar phrases and feelings Left us now that grants the departed immortality through us.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Your thoughts and visited appreciated Tate. Happt New Year.

Chris
A very touching poem Chris. One that I could relate to deeply as I was beside my dad when he was crossing the threshold. I couldn’t speak to him as he lay unconscious, my voice drowned in the loud beeps and whirs of the monitors and machines. That’s why I feel your brother drew much comfort from your voice and felt your love and caring. It’s a blessing to be able to do that for a passing loved one. Awesome write, my friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you DIVYA for your very understanding comments. So thoughtful.

Chris

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

449 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 26, 2018
Last Updated on December 26, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Questions Questions

A Poem by Chris Shaw