Silent Speaker

Silent Speaker

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(one from the archives)

"
Oh, silent speaker let me say,
it hasn't always been this way.
What game is this you like to play?

You starve me, yes you do indeed.
You starve me of the words I need
and I'm not one who's prone to greed.

So little do I ask of you,
it seems a simple thing to do.
Why can't you hold me close to you
and tell me that you love me?

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah, the enforced silence, I remember it well. psychological torture never ends well, does it? It's what control freaks do when they have run out of answer... You know, like four year olds do.
(sorry to any four year olds reading, no offence intended)

Ps...Perhaps that is why it is now impossible to shut me up. I was just saying that the other day to the lady in the newsagent, shortly before she barred me from the shop and threw me out the door. :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Ta Lorry. Yeah that old chestnut enforced silence. Sounds like you've had a basin full of that. That.. read more



Reviews

I read somewhere 'true love comes when silence between two people is comfortable'. Perhaps that's not the case when it comes to expressions of love. Sometimes we do need to hear, or in my case, get used to being told and feel the lack of it when it stops all of a sudden. Although I do think there are way too many ways of saying that than just the one ;)
I like this one. Made me think, as often your writes do :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello Dr Y. Thank you for your visit. Sometimes silence is fine, but not always, especially when a r.. read more
My first reaction when reading this was that it was about writer’s block. I have a friend who gets angry (not really) when a muse is mentioned, so we’ve come up with creative ways of addressing the creative impulse. It’s such a mysterious thing. Sometimes the ideas are never ending and at others they are nowhere to be found. And then there’s the poems that just seem to write themselves and only need you for the hands to make them visible.

I’m in a slump just now. I haven’t written anything new in months, but rather than abandoning writing, I’ve committed myself to working on old poems. Perhaps the muse will approve of my diligence!

I do see that there have been other interpretations of the poem. I hope I’m not way off base, but I did want to share where the reading took me. I’m enjoying the breadth of your work, Chris.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear Eilis, it is always a delight to receive one of your lovely reviews. Poetry is subjective and i.. read more
Some words, we do need to hear. Sometime silence isn't golden. Wonderful use of words and thoughts dear Chris.
Coyote


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote for your visit. All good wishes.

Chris
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome dear Chris.
The cold shoulder is a b***h, more so at certain points during a relationship for sure. The question seems a simple one, but the lack of an answer is where it gets complex. Wonderful write Chistine!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Crowley. Pleased you enjoyed and I thank you for your visit.

Chris
sound of silence as sung by art and garfunkel.. sometimes it is maddening to just depend on instincts or intuition there are still times that you want to hear the words especially if there is something deep embedded in one's heart.. but then sometimes fear takes one big step forward and we just have to rely on instinct or intuition.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Love that song sette. Truly wonderful. Yes, there are times those words are needed. Thank you so muc.. read more
Cruelty comes in many forms. And like you so eloquently expressed Chris above. Silence put upon you is far from nice. No matter your age. As we all have a voice and should be allowed to use it. You could feel the frustration, annoyance, hurt, pain and rejection in this piece.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Onlyme

5 Years Ago

Chris, you have a wonderful heart and soul. And when you write and express yourself it shows. Take c.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

I do catch your drift Dawn and thank you :)
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

hugs Dawn :)
you are p[laying games with heart like a drum - quote ricky. head games go on in every single scenario that can possible take place. and dare I say it poetry is also a head game and this is the beauty of it as you can say something even if you do not have the courage to say it and it is out there which will help readers of poetry which is why its the most powerful form of communication. great poetry.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you duck. Poetry does break communication barriers. Pleased for your visit and that you enjoye.. read more
Ahh, pleasure to read this short composition. it is said that silence speaks louder than words but sometimes all we seek is words to come out,probably for so called Satisfaction!!
Thank you Chris,, love... c:

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Sneh. There are times when silence is golden, but at other times it can work like a knife... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

762 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 12, 2019
Last Updated on January 12, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..