Sing Me A Song Of Warmer Days

Sing Me A Song Of Warmer Days

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(archived)

"
Through winter's cold and dreary months,
when black ice clings to hardened ground.
When snowdrifts linger in the fields,
when frost will kiss the thorny hedge.

When all around is stark and bare
and sounds of spring are far away.
I ask you sing a song for me
and play along on your guitar?

Remind me that the seasons pass,
that chills and shivers do not last.
For soon the soothing, warming sun
will come again and bring its cheer.

All frozen days will melt away
and you my love will still be here.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The harshness of some seasons robs life of its love. We never quit hoping that the love of our life stays on through sickness and adversity. So relatable are your feelings here, Chris. The description of the starkness of winter is very vivid and adds to the weight of the message. Another great poem from you, Chris.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks DIVYA, as the end of January approaches, and my sad January anniversaries have gone, I l.. read more



Reviews

Beautiful. Warming and so with the season. Brings fond memories of warmer days into the equation. Winter is another of the seasons that has its wonder and exquisite fascination.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you kitty for your lovely review.

Chris
kitty

5 Years Ago

My pleasure!
A lovely love song as we look forward to spring.
Get January out of the way and signs of spring are everywhere... even the light is different once spring is near...

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Stella. Nnot long to go now, and I will be more than thankful when it arrives.

read more
The sincerity in this poem is so lovely it makes me want to sing you a song!! As usual i love your rhythm & rhyme flow, the zen of which is so apparent in your writing style. I get the feeling you, like me... think in rhymes after a morning of write and yours comes across so organically.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Bunny, I do sometimes speak in rhyme. It amuses my family and yet I can't help it. Go ahead and sing.. read more
This poem hits hard.

The imagery in the beginning captures the reader perfectly. I especially like the second line “when black ice clings to hardened ground.”

“sounds of spring” is a great addition to the second stanza and so is the detail of playing along on a “guitar”.

The third stanza is a fantastic example of how the seemingly cliches used in this poem are use in such effective and strong ways that they don't feel cliché. Seasons passing, chills and shivers, and a warm sun bringing cheer feel like commonly understood concepts yet at the same time this poem depicts them in such an honest manner that they don't feel like overly stated concepts and it wasn't until I was re-going over the poem and analyzing it that it even occurred to me that may be simple concepts. It goes to show just how strongly they've been conveyed.

The last two lines are what drives this poem home to me. They pull at the heartstrings and have been so perfectly set up by the first three stanzas.

I have really enjoyed reading this poem. Many of your poems have the ability to convey specific emotions powerfully. It's such a fantastic skill.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your detailed review. It was much appreciated. I may be able to write a poem b.. read more
H L Rose

5 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad it's appreciated! Always a pleasure!
This is so lovely. You describe the bleakness of winter so well. I enjoy winter, to a certain extent, but even more so Spring and the warmth of summer. What a joy is be able to frolic in the bright, warm sun. Aaaah give me the warmth.

Take care - Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dave, pleased this one brought you a little warmth. It's bloomin cold here today, I can te.. read more
Dave

5 Years Ago

Brrrrrrrr! The cold is often bad enough, but the bone chilling wind - ugh!
Take care -Dave
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Lovely.
Won't be long now Christine, warmer weather will be here in a couple of months( fingers crossed) :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thanks Gee. Can't wait for that warmer weather to arrive. I am always happy to see the back of Janua.. read more
seasons come and go and we will soon be in warmer times but your poetry is staying put and will whether any storm and that's just like your love. it will still be here.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

What a lovely review. Many thanks duck. Have a great day. QUACK QUACK.

Chris
We do need love when the days and nights are cold.
"All frozen days will melt away
and you my love will still be here."
I agree with the above line dear Chris. Spring will come. Hope, sooner, not later. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I love the Spring too dear Chris. Very cold in Michigan. You are welcome.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Keep warm Coyote.
We are in the shade of a mountain for about 3 months each year, but Feb. will bring the sun to us.
I can't help you with the guitar and I can barely whistle a tune, but I am all for warmer weather
I could hum!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello Dave. Yes don't ask. Sleep eludes me :) It's not long till February when you shall have some s.. read more
john l smith

5 Years Ago

I'm not sure I can hum loud enough, but if you listen hard enough??
My condolences
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

I think I can just detect a little hum winging it's way over the waves. Thanks Dave. Take care.
Ahh, I was just this minute out in the garden, sipping coffee and even grumpy me has to agree the place looks magical right now. Whatever is going on, the path in the garden looks like a billion diamonds, shimmering away like a unicorn burped all over it. Its all ice crystals and almost luminous, and for once im not minding the minus silly degrees it is. It will pass and once again spring will save us and the other seasons will follow. One day I might even look back at the time I had a diamond path :)


Posted 5 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Lorry. It's silly o'clock and I'm thinking what the hell is Lorry doing in his garden with.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

768 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 23, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee