Lemon Drizzle

Lemon Drizzle

A Poem by Chris Shaw

Five years ago today
I baked a cake.
"Bully for you", I hear you say.
Well for me it wasn't an
everyday occurrence.

It was an act of love,
a gift for my brother Steve
to lift his spirits in an hour of need,
felled by the dreaded spread
of cancer from liver to brain.

Cancer that cruelly crept cat-like
after the trauma of transplant
that fed us and him
a sliver of hope
in the scope for a longer life.

He aquired a sweet tooth,
out of the blue it arrived,
took the pair of us by surprise. 
Returned us to decades before
when we pooled pocket money.

When black jacks were purchased
a penny for four, not forgetting
sherbert dips and the stain
of liquorice on teeth and lips.
Now he was buying sweets again.

"Take these for the journey home",
he'd say. "Something to chew on the way."
If it hadn't been so bloody tragic
I would have laughed
that here we were years later
doing the same old thing.

Now back to the cake I baked,
sadly I left it too late,
the following day
it drizzled plenty, not a lemon in sight.
Just rain and plenty of it, 
plus an avalanche of tears.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A tragic loss to the villain called cancer and so heart-wrenchingly told - you shared happy times with a much loved brother and that will never be taken away Chris - - I know from a similar experience that memory has a habit of re-floating those days of sweet decades when sunk are our tears in floods of tears. Brothers are gifts we never forget and thank you for sharing yours with us here..........

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Fay, yes that villain cancer has certainly robbed me of many loved ones and anniversaries .. read more



Reviews

"Doing the same old thing" was, no doubt, a comfort to your brother--and, perhaps, a big part of his
seemingly sudden compulsion.
While your cake may have failed, when it comes to Steve, you obviously did not fail.
So sorry for your grievous loss, Chris; deeply touching tribute.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Jimmy for your understanding response. Very much appreciated.

Chris
A vivid illustration of the odd things we recall when faced with such trauma. For me, I remember music and odors, less than images... perhaps a blessing considering some awful things I’ve seen. Lemon cake is something I’d much prefer. What a gift and blessing your poem, and a tribute to him, Chris.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Robert. Yes the lemon cake was better to write and focus on than some of the other images .. read more
I read this before but wasn’t ready to comment, I guess. Cancer has become so prevalent that I think we’d be hard pressed to find someone who hasn’t been impacted by it.

Your story reminded me of my mother’s partner. He was part of our lives for many years, but it was always a tenuous relationship. He was a drinker and fell sick one day and was gone three weeks later. Cancer. Still sorting that out.

But, I was there with him in those final weeks preparing his meals and acting as caretaker. He couldn’t eat much, but one day I made him oatmeal with raisins. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the joy that gave him. It’s something I still think about when it strikes for some reason. The simple things that we don’t know how to observe because we have the sense there will always be more...days, meals, experiences...

Your poem is a lovely tribute to a lost brother, Chris. It carries with it all those reminders to be present and to love as much as you can while the opportunity is setting in front of you. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you for your lovely review. You reminded me why I baked the cake. It was because a couple of w.. read more
A fine portrait of sibling affection and finely told.
T

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Tom for your visit and your thoughts.

Chris
What a very clever and unique tribute to your brother. I lost my father last year to cancer. I started writing poetry as a tribute to him. Thank you for sharing such a memory.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

I am sorry for your loss David. Thank you for your review. It is most appreciated.

Ch.. read more
Even sweetest memories get wrapped up in sorrow by tragedy. As time goes by they become hard to relive or undo ... still they follow forever and in accomplished hands they come alive in portraiture.i hope you are coping with your loss in a more healing manner, dear Chris. I know , Still some times it is extremely hard to face life. Wishing you all the best Querida.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mrudula Rani

4 Years Ago

It has been only 2 and half years since we lost our second brother and there are days I can't cope w.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

I do understand you Mrudula, the loss of a sibling is like losing a limb. It is life changing. To lo.. read more
Mrudula Rani

4 Years Ago

Thank you Querida, for your kindness.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mel
Poignant and soft imagery. You write with a lot of love. It's a beautiful thing.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Mel. A second visit from you and that pleases me no end.

Chris
Such a tender, bittersweet piece. I love the juxtaposition of the sweets (candy, cake, etc) with the sadness of your brother's disease. Thank you for sharing such a painful part of your life.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Rubie. Anniversary times are a painful reminder but writing about him keeps him alive in.. read more
I sense this piece as a tribute to a lost relative who really cares about the writer and who the writer truly cherished but the inevitable departure brought an end to this wonderful relationship.
It's more painful when someone lost someone caring and darling, It could keep breaking the heart each time the relationship comes to remembrance.

Thank for sharing this, Chris.



Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you for your thoughtful review Kay. It is most appreciated.

Chris
goodness, such a touching tribute. a tragic loss. at least you've got such memories of him. hopefully you take some sort of comfort in that. it's the seemingly little things that we remember because they are not really little ... :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Pete. I have lots of wonderful memories, I am lucky. Anniversaries are still difficult but.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

458 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on August 13, 2019
Last Updated on August 13, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Carl Carl

A Story by Lyn Anderson


"i" "i"

A Poem by lightsong