A Friend To None

A Friend To None

A Poem by Chris Shaw

I spied an old man sip his beer,
his eyes were glazed, full cloudy day.
Oblivious to all around
he didn't hear the raucous sound
of other drinkers loud at play.

I watched him as he raised his glass.
I didn't miss a tear that fell
that trickled down his weathered skin.
I felt another's suffering,
his sadness wrapped me in its spell.

Where was he in his troubled mind?
For sure he wasn't here with us
His shirt was stained, his hair unkempt,
I pondered where his thinking went.
He drank his pain with little fuss.

My thoughts returned to you and I.
The Reaper is a friend to none,
for when you've lost your trusted mate,
you lose your compass and your fate
lies in the stars, your present gone.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It’s alway sad to lose a mate, and that’s what brought to mind when you saw that man alone shuddering a drinking his own pain….it reminds all of us that someday our fate will come and maybe there is a better place for us than to be “ friend to none”….. and that place will give us all peace of mind….seeing a stranger suffer does bring back memories.
Really good write dear Chis.
Best
B.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Happy Thursday Betty and thank you so much for your understanding review. Always good to have a visi.. read more
Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

You're very welcome Chris!



Reviews

Another great read fairly early this Sunday morning..
Your impression of that man is most likely spot on.
The movement and flow of your poem really worked into a interesting story..
Lisa, finally funny enough to do laundry!! (we have solar panels)

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Lisa for your thoughts on this older poem. If you have solar panels, I applaud you. Doing .. read more
Lisasview

2 Years Ago

Oh yes, and a wonderful compost..and the beginnings of a veggie garden..
We do not eat meat o.. read more
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Pleased you haven't missed out chocolate or red wine. Staples of a good diet they sre:)
It has been noted that when one partner in a long marriage passes on, the other one often follows suit in a relatively short time. It is as if they tell themselves on some level that there is now no reason to hang around any longer. If they are also retired from a long career, this may serve to reinforce that conclusion.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Many thanks John for your visit. Sadly I think you are right. That is exactly what I imagined about .. read more
Now this is a philisopuical word art to ponder. Awesome work.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Dale for that encouraging review. All the best.

Chris
wow, I love this, so sad and the ending is beautiful sadness. such great writing, flow, and topic. So touching.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. Thank you.

Chris
Wow! Chris, this left me watching a person going through a bad time! I could feel his pain. A lot of people face difficult times, and it shows in their face! Each line led your readers down a lonely painful path of someone's pain! Well done!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Kathy. I appreciate your review.

Chris
KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

My pleasure!
He has surely triggered many things in your gentle soul. You felt his pain and his hard life. Life can be hard, cruel and unfair, but in a way, we can change some things or be helpless. Maybe there is a reason or many reasons for them to exist for God to test who is helping, who is not and so forth? Who knows???
A sad and powerful story dear Chris.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you dear Sami. You are appreciated.

Chris
Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

You too. You are welcome Chris.
and how You end it! I wouldn't expect it, but that's what a great poetess like You do, wrap it all in one rich message. to have a faithful friend who we can trust and lean on is a treasure. even when we have heartbreaks of breakups we can't go to our partners, we go to our close friends. a story and a lesson of line written in your poetical wise voice.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thanks always lightsong for your encouragement. It means alot. Have a lovely day.

Chr.. read more
The pain you captured in this piece is real. It happens every day. We can observe and see it on people's faces, but we never really know what they are going through! Well done!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Karen for your encouragement. You are appreciated.

Chris
KAREN

2 Years Ago

You're welcome!
the scene and character building in this, i think, are quite strong ... i am sitting a few stools away in the place of your speaker, drawn irresistibly to "see" him. V1 L2 is especially cool for me .. love that "cloudy day" and eye connection!! i really see him! the theme ... strikes home to all who have suffered loss of a mate .. it is so true ... one is lost and helpless, vulnerable and terribly in pain. his story could be one of years, having never recovered .. his dress kind of makes me think so .. but ... being struck so hard at a later stage of the game can cause one to neglect themselves instantly .. poignant scene .. great character .. super emotive ... you 5 line style and variable rhyming always catches me just a bit off balance .. but it also makes me pay attention .. and savor .. ;)
E.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Mr E for your kind comments. You see the likes of this old man everywhere. I see them in s.. read more
Einstein Noodle

2 Years Ago

yes ... for those with tender hearts .. the pain on an old man's face can easily be found .. one jus.. read more
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

So pleased you are finding some joy. Yes I can imagine the delight of Norma's tulips. A splash of sp.. read more
Your keen and observant eye caught every pitiful detail and your empathy-filled heart went out to him. And with your beautiful pen, you sketched him on this page for us. Indeed, we all know that old man, sitting forlorn with his beer and his unnoticed tears. We will all be going through grief and loss in the unforeseen future and your words so gently remind us of that sobering fact of life, dear Chris.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

DIVYA, I thank you for your thoughtful and kind review. So very much appreciated.

Chr.. read more
DIVYA

4 Years Ago

You are most welcome Chris.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
37 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 27, 2019
Last Updated on September 27, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Alone Alone

A Poem by Samuel Dickens