Storm Brewing

Storm Brewing

A Poem by Chris Shaw

Look at this collage of colour,
leaves swept in on westerly winds
while I was drifting in dream land.

There they lie in a bed of wet,
grass bejewelled from last night's rain,
more reds than greens or tangerines.

At peace they rest in harmony,
whatever shape, whatever shade,
they overlap and some join hands.

Oh goodness, what's become of us?
This week I've witnessed hostile scenes
from Parliament I've seen it all.

A Parliament that's truly dead.
A Parliament it must be said,
whose politicians heads are filled
with sawdust.







© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"some join hands" wish people did...and especially government, instead of all the fighting...
do they care about us?
i love your line "more reds than greens or tangerines" so colorful and rolls off the tongue so sweetly.
some beautiful images which is great irony considering the subject.
excuse me a second, Chris...oops...sorry....i just sneezed, from the "sawdust" getting in my nose...
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Sorry that sawdust reached you across the pond Jacob. Yes sad state of affairs we have here. Many h.. read more



Reviews

dearest Chris... WC has posted your poem from a year or so ago... it seems that the sawdust is still sprinkled in Politics. We still have Chimps in very important powerful positions. They can be unpredictable. Meanwhile “We the People” suffer. My heart is heavy and my poetic friends bring me courage to carry on with prayers for a better way to Govern. gently, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear Pat, I had forgotten all about this poem, but it seems a year later that nothing much has chang.. read more
I love the way you connect nature to life...The first part of the poem exquisitely treats us to the stunning beauty and order of nature and the concluding verses compare it to a disorderly, chaotic political event. You are so awesome at painting the beauty around us, in all its vivid colors and breathtaking forms. Kudos Chris!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

DIVYA

4 Years Ago

You have the gift, my friend. Not all can bring the beauty around us to life, the way you do with yo.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

That means a great deal to me. Thank you DIVYA.
DIVYA

4 Years Ago

You are most welcome, dear Chris :)
a moment of calm beauty in a sea of turmoil. Nicely penned.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Betty. We all need those calm moments. Your thoughts most appreciated.

Chri.. read more
Betty Hermelee

4 Years Ago

Your quite welcome, yes I agree
Well if it's any consolation our senate is probably even worse:( we have a president that has broken so many laws and met the criteria for impeachment 4 times over and still we do nothing and now we have just backstabbed an ally in Turkey as the puppeteer Putin makes his play and trounces all over our honor and respect:( I have been watching what has been going on in your parliament as well and have nothing but sympathy for you!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Bunny, I have to say that politics is at an all time low in the current climate. We need an ele.. read more
Robert Trakofler

4 Years Ago

Oh how I pray the karma floods the halls of representatives for both our nations when yours bleeds s.. read more
It's the same here, Chris. The fall season is rolling in fast. Our temps are falling, finally, and the leaves are beginning to change. And in the midst of that beauty, our own democracy is dying. It's still hard for me to believe what's going on here. We have an arrogant, egotistical, ignorant, rich devil leading our government and our nation straight to Hades. He's turning the world against us. He lies, cheats, threatens, abuses his power to manipulate and craves chaos. If someone got lucky enough to get a punch to his face, you can bet there would be sawdust to ooze out. This man has no blood in his veins. Blood is the warmth and life of a body, the mix of many souls still branching out. Everything this man has, was given to him on a silver platter with blessings from his father. He was slowly sinking into debt oblivion until he found another outlet, the highest seat in the land that he conned people to get. The chaos that's going on here is enough to drive people to insanity. Dreaming of beautiful landscapes where there is peace and harmony, just like in your words, 'holding hands'. It's a place of hope. Maybe if enough of us dream it and gather there, wanting the same things for our countries, for each other, maybe we'll see that unification is the real answer. After all, this country is comprised of every nationality of the world. How can we call others immigrants when we are all immigrants here? I simply love your poetry, Chris. You subtly say in so many words what the rest of us scream.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

There:s something rotten going on in politics these days. I have to say I don't hold politicians in .. read more
A beautiful poem then you go and spoil it with mentioning those dickheads in Parliament. Come election day they'll get their comeuppance!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Augustus, yes this is a poem of contrasts. Thank you for your response. I have to say, I agree.. read more
pretty potent contrast and turn my friend ...your Parliament and our Democratic Party seem to be on the death wish trail ... so vicious and futile their battling .. swinging wildly at the breeze says i! ... i absolutely love how you have placed the falling leaves, hand in hand, in glorious differences .. falling asleep for the winter ... you Brits are up in arms aren't you!? and there is a storm brewing .. here in the US as well .. we have our opinions and process to hammer things out ... pity that the attacks here are so personal and unfounded ... our latest un-employment report puts it at 3.5% if I am remembering correctly ... the lowest it has been in over 50 yrs. ... hard to argue with policies that produce those kinds of numbers ... i don't know, Christine, it is all so wearying isn't it?! ... lovely autumn images .. creative/inspiring personifications ... sharp political commentary ... the sawdust literally is choking me throat!!! well done once again luv! ;)
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Mr E, I am hoping beyond hope that by the 31st Oct, this will be done with. Three and a half ye.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

yes...once elected do the job ... put it together together ... makes me feel weary .. but ... fall .. read more
Are politicians today for the greater good of the people, I don’t think so, they bicker and argue forgetting that people voted them in to perform to make life better. They perform to line their pockets only and the opposition reacts in a negative, destructive way to block all positive results on who is governing. Nice write Chris.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Have to agree with you Andrew. Self serving, that's what they are. What a shambles. Thanks for shari.. read more
There is indeed a storm brewing, perhaps these hapless fuckwits should wake up and smell the leaves, good one Chris,

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

unfortunately who you gonna vote for the Corb or the Dude, I vote SNP and look at what good it's don.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

They are all w........ers..
Gee

4 Years Ago

Chritine, tut, tut. Never knew you possessed a pott mouth :)
Such a beautiful sense of self-acceptance here
"At peace they rest in harmony,
whatever shape, whatever shade,
they overlap and some join hands."

and then we get to reality.
Laura XO

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks LauraKate. Yes from peace to chaos and quickly as well. Appreciate your thoughts and you.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 28, 2019
Last Updated on September 28, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren