Someone Else's Winter

Someone Else's Winter

A Poem by Chris Shaw

Why I had a sudden urge
to place a single rose
upon an unkempt grave
of a soul I didn't know,
came as a surprise
even to me.

So strong that tug on
heart strings as I passed by,
I had to stifle a cry
before moving on.

Though not before I left
behind, a part of me
in the shade of a grieving tree
and before I choked
on my own sadness.


© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The depth of emotion in this write is stunning! I have to say that when I visit the graves of loved ones, I often stop at a random stone....one that looks unvisited.....and wonder what sort of life that person had. Who did they leave behind and why is no one ever here to remember? You are such a compassionate soul, Chris. A beauty of a write. Lydi**

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Lydi**, your review is lovely. You do what I do. Ponder on the dead as we pass through. Trying .. read more
Elizabeth R Prichard

4 Years Ago

Great post about chronic about work I Get more help from your post I found so many blogs related to .. read more



Reviews

Filled with compassion but also a deep sadness as that very compassion ignites the sorrow deep within the protagonist. As always a nicely penned verse

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you John for your thoughtful response. Have a good day.

Chris
John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

You too Chris!
Your compassionate heart felt the loneliness of a forgotten soul, and wanted to let it know it's not alone in this world. We are all connected and concerned for each other however apart it comes across. Your command of delivering emotions through words is superb, dear Chris. As I read the poem a tear rolled down my cheek.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Mrudula, thank you for your lovely review. That tear that trickled down your cheek caught the m.. read more
This poem haunts me. The first time I saw my father's grave, I was shocked to discover an unmarked grave. There was a metal plate on it about 1" x 5" that matched up to a map in the office. I didn't leave before ordering a marker for his grave. I visited once thereafter to make sure that it was perfect, and I have never returned. After that, I felt like the worst thing was to die alone. He died ten days before Christmas when I was four years old; and while I had no memories of him, I think his departure lived in my bones. I always hated Christmas because of it. I choked in my heart to read this one. It really is perfect.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Linda, my granddaughter Beth is nearly 19 and lives with me. Her Dad died when she was ten mont.. read more
A sign, that someone was there to care. A beautiful thought and gesture, amongst the maelstrom of our own mourning.
Beautiful.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Lorry for your truly beautiful response. I appreciate your visits.

Chris
I live one block away from a Cemetery. When I was young we would play in it and ride our bicycles through it. There were always graves I looked at wondering who the person was in life. Those graves have wisdom. If we're sensitive enough we can get emotional when passing them. Your heart shows through on this one, Chris. Nice write.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Hello Tim. I have to admit that when I am in a cemetery, I too wander through, looking at the stones.. read more
A poignant moment captured, Chris. I find myself moved by surprising things. The fact that I have always lived with my mind but still don’t always know what to expect from it is fascinating to me. The human mind/heart connection.

Near me there is a Civil War cemetery with rows and rows of unmarked graves. Well unmarked as in the identities of the men were unknown at the time of their burials. So many men whose families never exactly knew what happened to them. Your poem made me think of that place. And the loneliness of graves that are never visited. The graves of newborns. So many sad representations of the darker moments of human experience can be found in a grave yard. It’s not difficult to be moved when we take the time to look around.

I like that your poem kind of points to that importance of looking as a means of remembering the sufferings, or maybe just humanity of others. Such a small thing, but so meaningful in the end.

A contemplative, relatable poem.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Eilis for sharing your thoughts. The Civil War cemetery near you with all its unmarked gra.. read more
The depth of emotion in this write is stunning! I have to say that when I visit the graves of loved ones, I often stop at a random stone....one that looks unvisited.....and wonder what sort of life that person had. Who did they leave behind and why is no one ever here to remember? You are such a compassionate soul, Chris. A beauty of a write. Lydi**

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Lydi**, your review is lovely. You do what I do. Ponder on the dead as we pass through. Trying .. read more
Elizabeth R Prichard

4 Years Ago

Great post about chronic about work I Get more help from your post I found so many blogs related to .. read more

5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

851 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 2, 2019
Last Updated on October 2, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee