Fledgling Attachment

Fledgling Attachment

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(Holiday Observations from the terraced heights. Die or fly, which was it)

"
When I was gone from Brixham
thoughts of mine would take flight,
gather speed and without the slightest
effort, wing their way back to the last
days of June.

I found myself focusing on a view,
five counties to the west of home, on
a weathered, weed ridden roof stack,
high in the terraced heights, looking down on an historic town.

There a pair of sea gulls had invested
their time, building a nest in a spot
between two of five chimney pots, caked
in guano, bleached white and baked hard
by sun's burn.

From a balcony I had watched two chicks
receive nurture, pitifully one fell out of bed to tumble helplessly into guttering.
The parents, all a flutter tried their best
to coax their fledgling back to the safety of its nest, to no avail.

When we left, the chick was frail,
his plight uncertain and I wondered
whether he would fly or die.
Succumb to starvation or exhaustion.

Three months later, I have returned.
No trace of gulls, while the recent heavy rain, has washed all that remained, complete with caked guano, clean away.
I came to the conclusion that finding a solution has reached a dead end.





© 2019 Chris Shaw


Author's Note

Chris Shaw
The layout of this poem, has not appeared as I intended. Must be a gliche as I can't correct it. Sorry.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nature is beautiful and brutal, and cleanses it’s own. You’ve captured that so well here, Chris. And, how many of us want to save that fledgling from the gutter? It’s what we know and do, but it’s not how other species exist in the natural world. So, we’re left with dead ends that birds never see... or so it seems here. A beautiful but tragic story in poetic form. A true pleasure.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you for this lovely review Robert. Truth be known, I am far too sentimental when it comes to n.. read more
R.E. Ray

4 Years Ago

You're welcome, Chris. Always a pleasure to read your work.



Reviews

This is as sad as the sky here today. The clouds slit open their veins and rained in a torrent. The sky like gray ash. I am fascinated every day watching the various birds that come to feed, bathe, and play in my yard. I love everything from the pacing back and forth of the thinking crow that reminds me so much of a ponderous priest to the bright-coated cardinals that sing so pretty as they watch over their mates and the incessant knocking of the downy woodpecker in the middle of the morn. Then, there's a moment of quiet and the scatter of a few feathers in the yard … the telltale signs that Mr. Hawkins (a red-tailed hawk) ordered take out. Nature is full of beauty and tragedy but always beauty, always so much beauty. This was a very introspective poem that only a poet's eyes can see and appreciate.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Linda Marie Van Tassell

4 Years Ago

You're very welcome, Chris. :-)
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

I did read it at the time Linda but the screen is so small on my phone that I missed it when I did m.. read more
Linda Marie Van Tassell

4 Years Ago

No worries. It's all good. :-)
Wonderful and interesting poem giving a description of the beauty and wonder of nature ( the way small birds built and protect both their best and younger ones) and the reality of the world also where Darwin's theory of selection- the fittest survives only works. I personally loved the title as fledgling is the word which was used by me in my first English poem I ever wrote.
Very nice work :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Anjeline for your lovely review. All good wishes.

Chris
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Anjeline

4 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
The analogy you make of the natural order of things and our predisposition to find conclusions and solutions to the insoluble, was both subtle and beautifully composed.

Loved the whole poem; and that last stanza set the perfect seal for me.

Beccy.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Beccy. Yes sometimes we just have to accept what happens without questioning. Always good .. read more
Has been said that wars lessen the human weight on our planet and. that Nature is permanently at war with itself.. I find the two statements tragic.. but understand the second more than the first. Tis natural for the heart and mind to want to nurture, protect,love and cherish, but, we can't be everywhere for everyone, whether creature or human. Isn't that a terrible yet logical thought. Your poem has such credibility. it shows the graciousness of the you, Chris, uncynical, generous spirit.. thank goodness for the writer of such delicate thoughts.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

How right you are, Em, you can not be there for everyone or every living creature. We are very limit.. read more
emmajoy

4 Years Ago

Bring on more empathy than cynicism and arrogance sez I !

How I agree with you about.. read more
and you leave us wondering...did it die or survive...my money is on survival...

love the dead end idea...everything in life is moribund...and will get there sooner or later...we need to appreciate the beauty of animals and people for as long as we have them.
nicely done.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Yes, far more appreciation for what counts. Animals and people, I like that. So often they aren't ap.. read more
A nice view of nature as it is. It not always perfect but it is inspiring.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Lea. Yes without doubt nature can be as inspiring as she can be cruel. Always two sides to.. read more
Lea Sheryn

4 Years Ago

True and we should look at both sides. Life isn't always sunshine and roses.
My son has just finished memorizing The Exposed Nest by Robert Frost, so of course, I have as well :)). Your poem put me in mind of that because of the lost bird. It’s a terrible situation. We’ve found baby birds on the ground from time to time and tried to save them, but there’s little to do. Their lives seem so fragile and slip away so quickly.

But your poem outlines the mystery. So much of what happens in the natural world remains behind a veil for us. It is difficult for us to grasp the quickness of the life spans of so many animals, but at the same time we are aware of the prevalence of death in their world. But it’s never easy to be set face to face with it.

I like the way your poem leaves the reader to decide as much as the writer must. We live in cycles and there are more things we can’t know than things we can. Your poem states that beautifully, Chris. We can return, but the world will always be changed. Ever-moving. Lovely work, here.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Eilis, another poem suggestion for me to read and I thank you for that. How delightful for you .. read more
Eilis

4 Years Ago

You’re welcome, Chris. I’m so glad to hear there’s a possibility that the little bird made it... read more
The nature lesson can be hard and cold.
"When we left, the chick was frail,
his plight uncertain and I wondered
whether he would fly or die.
Succumb to starvation or exhaustion."
Fly or die? A lesson for us too. I loved the poem shared dear Chris. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Coyote. I am pleased you enjoyed the read. Always good to have a visit from you my frien.. read more
Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Always my pleasure dear Chris and you are welcome.
Yes dear Chris - to have to watch nature doing its best has always been such a chancy business for humans who care - - every ounce of us want to step in and help yet nature is at the limit indifferent to results... a capturing tale and so well told - hope your little chick was able to avoid that dead end................... Fay

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Fay for your visit. You are so right, it isn't easy watching nature at work at times. Sh.. read more
***Don't worry kids, the chick finally got his act together, climbed from the gutter and went on to a successful career of pooing on a scarecrow on a farm. ***
I'm no pschiatristician, but I am left wondering where your own head might have been on these two trips Chris. The first visit was tinged with sadness and the second was a fresher perspective. Perhaps there is something to this subconscious lark after all.
I do hope feathers jnr made it and went on to greater things. 😀
Beautifully crafted and layered write. I can't get that poor little thing out my head.
Hmm, maybe not have chicken nuggets for dinner tonight 😀

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

I thought he probably would have died, but wait for it........, my husband and our granddaughter Bet.. read more
Lorry

4 Years Ago

Told you kids, it's fine 😀

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

553 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 8, 2019
Last Updated on October 13, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heartache Heartache

A Poem by Gee


Wish I Was Wish I Was

A Poem by BL