Prosperity

Prosperity

A Poem by Chris Shaw

Many a leaf floats softly down,
a blaze of gold upon the ground
comes treasure from a grieving tree.

And like our loved ones when they're gone,
in precious thought they still live on
and that means all the world to me.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this reminds me of Vermont as well....that pic of my mom...the beauty of fall, her beauty...and then the impending winter to come...so cold and lonely without her....i enjoyed the prosperity of having my folks for so long....having those summers and falls in Vermont...i was quite lucky.

j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Now this one was in my garden Jacob, though I am so pleased that it still reminded you of Vermont an.. read more



Reviews

We humans know the value of something or someone when we lose them or in departure from our world. What a great analogy. Treasure is to be treasured with deep measure suffered. We treasure you though on this site and your contributions.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Sami, your review warmed my heart. Thank you so much and all good wishes to you for Christmas a.. read more
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

You are welcome. Same to you.
“treasure from a grieving tree.. a blaze of gold upon the ground” is a lovely way of remembering. We have that exact scene every Autumn 🍂 from two huge Maple trees ... in our front yard. truly, Pat

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Pat. I bet your maple trees are a glory to behold in autumn. Happy to have you visit this .. read more
well done ... you have a natural rhythm in your lines, Chris ... such a strong metaphor .. as a tree grieves for the loss of leaves .. they lay golden all around ... i simply would have not looked at those bare limbs in such a way ... i always see the deep sleep with miraculous expectations of spring ...our grief and loss ... blessed by memories is such a gifted place to arrive at ... pain always present but is polished by time and enduring ... i definitely connected to your poem ... very relatable and real ... those of us who have gone about life without deep loss forget that seasonal celebrations can be very difficult for others ... strong metaphor, well constructed, touching and there is depth of wisdom .. and such a short poem ...

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Mr E. I am delighted that you enjoyed Prosperity and I am most grateful for your very encouragi.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

same to you Chris ... and all those around you :)
Memory is the ultimate rebirth, and here, in this lovely poem, you have perfectly combined the vibrancy and hope of autumn, with the richness of our memory of passed loved ones.

This made me think of my grandma, who when I was a very young child, introduced me to the joy of poetry.

Beccy.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Beccy, I am delighted that my words made you think of your dear Grandma. She gifted you poetry... read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mel
You sure have beautiful thoughts, Ms. Shaw.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Mel, thank you for your lovely comment. Truly appreciated.

Chris
Golden tears and treasured memories.
Let us pray that, by the time the dead are forgotten--and because of where they happily dwell--they couldn't care less.
Gorgeous piece of work, Chris!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thanks Jimmy. I have to say I was quite pleased with the way this poem wrote itself.

.. read more
At a time of national remembrance this lovely poem says so many things Chris, i have just been watching the red poppies fall at the Remembrance Service and straight away i read about your golden falling leaves.
So many memories at this time of the year ...

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you for your lovely response Stella. Remembrance day today, always moves me to tears.
<.. read more
I love how the title heightens the poem, Chris, and lends it a deeper meaning. Being able to see the loss of anything as prosperity is enriching.

And autumn does enrich in so many ways. The scenery can be lovely, but that shedding also contributes to the continuous growth we need to sustain us.

It’s a lovely, gentle analogy. And, does indeed, make the memories we have of loved ones feel that much more rich.

You’ve shared some wonderful seasonal poems this autumn. I do like the depth of your message in this one very much.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Eilis. Always good to get your thoughts. Have a lovely Sunday.
Eilis

4 Years Ago

A lovely day to you as well, Chris
Sort and sweet. I like it!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

You are spoiling me Augustus with your visits and I am liking it. Thank you very much.

.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

717 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 25, 2019
Last Updated on October 25, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren