Ghosts Of The Past

Ghosts Of The Past

A Poem by Chris Shaw

Only my own random thoughts
speak to me with soft clarity
in this room's afternoon silence,
in the comfort of the present.

While window glass, glazed and clean
protects my ears from hearing
a south westerly wind whip up
a fury in green leaves.

Clinging valiantly to brushwood of
silver birch, they sweep the sky clean,
in the same way I have swept
you to the vaults of memory.

Soon, every leaf on this tree will depart,
and though it saddens me to see,
it is of no real consequence.
It is temporary for they will return.

My heart no longer yearns for the
candle of you, you are extinguished.
Your flame flickers no more and I am
mistress of my own destiny.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is curious how random thoughts and sights can transport us rapidly to the past. In this offering the sight of the leaves of a birch tree struggling to cling to the limbs in the face of a strong wind. The leaves themselves can be symbols of life's passing, for they fall every year, just as we must fall eventually. The difference here is that the leaves in their struggle seem to be sweeping the sky, just as the speaker has swept someone once close, now departed, from memory. The last verse indicates the grief process has been completed. The departed one must have been either a parent or a spouse, and a supportive one at that.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

It is always so interesting to read interpretations of my work by other poets. I truly appreciate yo.. read more



Reviews

All life goes full circle, it is the way of things.
We have to face the grief of death knowing that it makes way for new life to begin, and in that mindset grief becomes more bearable .
I did like the comparison of the life of those leaves already spent brushing a new path for those that will come after.
Love can come anew sometimes, but when the light goes out we have a choice thankfully whether to allow new growth or just enjoy our own solitude.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Stella, I love the thoughts you have left here after reading my Ghosts of the Past poem... read more
fantastic poem ..so original on a cyclical and eternal theme .. i absolutely think the tree broom is brilliant!! BRILLIANT i say!! ;) i am especially put in the scene with the chill outside and the protection inside ... and my heart sores with the freedom of release from pain and loss ... with added strength for having endured without bitterness .. love this my friend! great positive read on Fall and love lost ... brilliant is say! :)))
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Your review which is so generous Mr E. You put a wide smile on my face this afternoon and I thank yo.. read more
I love the combination of vulnerability and strength in this, Chris. The defiance and power of the final line rings above the rooftops in my mind.

The sense of release when we are finally able to let go of something or someone (the memory) after it’s had a hold on us for so long is almost like being reborn.

That’s kind of what I sensed here. And the contrast of the dying of the old season as the new one inside emerges is fantastic. It’s a beautiful and empowering poem. I’m glad to read it today.

Posted 4 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Love your thoughts on this poem Eilis and I am truly thankful for your time and visit. All good wish.. read more
So much powerful symbolism in this majestic poem dear Chris. How you weave the past in lieu of the present season and nature. The cold past perhaps vs the warmth of the indoors and its comforts. The blooming then falling of the leaves. Very touchy and personable. I love it.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Sami it is a delight to receive this review from you. So thankful for your thoughts. May thank yous .. read more
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Same to you. Muchly welcome...
There is a deep hurt in this one Chris. A defiance and a determination to survive but the wounds still superate through the bandage of healing time. A nicely descriptive piece that transports the reader to the calm warmth of your room.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks John for your understanding review.

Chris
Beautifully concealed sentiments beneath the cover of fall. Elegant and ends in strength.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Angeline,, your visit and review received with much appreciation. Thank you.

Chris
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Oops, sorry for typo. I meant angelink
light and ashes

4 Years Ago

♥️lol it's ok, you're welcome
Being seduced by destiny has its pleasures. The iniquity seldom finds a way to coalesce into a narative but still we are funneled to towards a point of no return even if that is only how it is seen from the inside.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Your thoughts appreciated on this piece drew garner. Many thank yous.

Chris
Chris, I imagine this scene, perhaps coffee or tea in hand, eyes gazing through glass panes, seeing the world from inside out and then deeply introspective. We need moments like you've described here, to reflect on the past, the present and the future we desire. The last few words... "I am... mistress of my own destiny.." speaks pain but growth and strength. "Ghosts of the Past" is my new favorite from you.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Always good to receive a review from you Robert and delighted that this poem I have written becomes .. read more
wow, beautiful words & so well written !
as time goes by the ghosts ought to become fainter in your mind, & eventually become so transparent as to blend in & completely disappear, superseded by other thoughts & emotions.

cheerio carola

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Hello Carola. Lovely to have a visit from you. Many thanks for checking in and leaving your sage adv.. read more
In silent contemplation, the ghosts are the loudest voice within us. Finding that elusive clarity to let them go is what our minds struggle with, but once those tethers are broken, we can never be free to be the us we should have been without them.
I know this sounds oh so wise, but it is a new found talent to me. Once we can let go of all those whys and hows, we can begin to move forward once more... Older, wiser and happier.
It also helps that i run a mile now when i see someone smile in my direction. Fool me 3076 times, shame on you, fool me 3077 and im finally gonna figure you out 😀 i may be slow, but i got there eventually.
Enjoy the stillness Chris, knowing they are no longer there to tell you not to.


Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Bet you got them displayed like an ornament on a shelf, in a dusty old tin or summat :) Then when yo.. read more
Lorry

4 Years Ago

I saw the size of yorkie bars too. Remember when there slogan was not for women? They are teeny now... read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

:))................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

933 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 25, 2019
Last Updated on October 25, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren