Escape

Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw

do not fret
as darkness comes
catch the cool air
beneath a barn owl's
wings

rising in flight
from a bare branch
bewitched by moonshine
in a forest of
silvered slow motion

an apparition
of white wonder
gliding against the backdrop
of an ink black sky
pitted with sequins

carry me with you
night bird





© 2020 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Only under the cover of night is this type of escape possible. The possibility of everything grows in the dark, good or bad, the escape requires the cover before the light of day shrinks it to man size bits made out or our agreed upon realities. Great writing Chris!

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Hey, hi Crowley. An old poem out for an airing. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. All t.. read more



Reviews

Only under the cover of night is this type of escape possible. The possibility of everything grows in the dark, good or bad, the escape requires the cover before the light of day shrinks it to man size bits made out or our agreed upon realities. Great writing Chris!

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Hey, hi Crowley. An old poem out for an airing. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. All t.. read more
In this poem, titled "Night Bird's Flight," the poet employs imagery and metaphors to evoke a sense of tranquility, mystery, and wonder.

The language used is concise yet vivid, creating a visual and sensory experience for the reader.

The opening line, "do not fret," immediately establishes a tone of reassurance and calmness.

It suggests that the reader should not worry or be anxious. This sets the stage for the ensuing imagery of darkness and the nocturnal world.

The next line, "as darkness comes," captures the transition from daylight to night, symbolizing the uncertainties and challenges that life may present.

The phrase hints at the idea that darkness holds its own beauty and opportunities.

The poet then introduces the image of a barn owl, a creature associated with wisdom and nocturnal prowess. The cool air beneath the owl's wings adds a touch of serenity and comfort,
offering solace in the midst of darkness.

The poet invites the reader to embrace the soothing presence of the owl, perhaps implying that one can find guidance and protection even in the most challenging times.

The following lines depict the barn owl taking flight from a bare branch, bewitched by moonlight.

This imagery conveys a sense of enchantment and grace. The moonshine illuminates a forest, transforming it into a realm of slow, mesmerizing movement.

The phrase "silvered slow motion" creates a vivid picture of a dreamlike atmosphere, where time seems to elongate, and the mundane world gives way to something ethereal and magical.

The owl, portrayed as an apparition of white wonder, becomes the focal point against the backdrop of an ink black sky dotted with sequins.

This contrast between the owl's luminosity and the dark, starry sky heightens the sense of awe and mystery. The word "sequins" adds a touch of sparkle and delicacy to the description, further enhancing the enchanting nature of the scene.

In the concluding lines, the poet expresses a desire to be carried along with the night bird. This can be interpreted metaphorically, suggesting a longing to escape the troubles of everyday life and be transported to a realm of tranquility and freedom.

The night bird becomes a symbol of liberation and exploration, offering a sense of unity with nature and a respite from worldly concerns.

As a Nobel Laureate poet, the author skillfully crafts a contemplative and evocative poem that explores themes of solace, beauty, and transcendence.

The carefully chosen imagery and metaphors immerse the reader in a nocturnal world brimming with wonder and possibility. The poem encourages us to embrace the darkness and find solace in the enchantment of the natural world.

I have found this poem to be such exquisite beauty. One of the great poems to be remembered through time.

Forgive me. I spend as much time critiquing as I do writing.

Bravo!






Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

E.P. Robles

9 Months Ago

I adore this poem. It is beautiful. And you know how much I love reading and analyzing. I am so a.. read more
Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Thank you, thank you. 🌺
E.P. Robles

9 Months Ago

I wrote a poem in an ancient form. Just now.

how splendidly you have captured here the ethereal essence of the mistress of night sky .. and so too, such a desire to break free .. to escape and to fly with her .. whether for one night, or for always remains unclear, but most surely is, for the moment .. an irrelevance .. a poem fit for purpose and to be savoured any time of night or day .. most thoroughly enjoyed our Chris.

Neville




Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Thank you Neville. A poem written during COVID whilst watching tv at 3.00 am. Pleased you enjoyed it.. read more
“a forest of silvered slow motion” paints a nice picture.

Winston

Posted 9 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Many thanks Winston. Pleased you enjoyed the imagery. That’s what I was focusing on. Happy Wednesd.. read more
hi great write keep up the good work

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Belated thanks. So sorry not to have responded before.

Chris
Carry me with you night bird...
How many times have I wished I could grow wings and fly? Wonderful images, Chris.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you MJS. This is a particular poem that turned out just the way I wanted. Thanks for the encou.. read more
My favourite type of birds and I’ve always been filled with a sense of magic and awe when I’ve been lucky enough to see one, exactly the feelings your poem ‘escape’ evokes.

Lathe

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Lathe. I appreciate your thoughts. I don't see them often, such a pity. I can hear them, b.. read more
Escape by bird ...I love it,
As always, your words have wings,
and flying with you is a treat :)


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

What a lovely review. Thank you Dylan. Pleased you enjoyed this one. Written in the middle of the ni.. read more
Dylan Macadham

2 Years Ago

You're in good company, Chris. Martin Luther King and Mandela did some of their best work in lockdow.. read more
this is wonderful, i like the part about gliding against the back drop, wonderful imagery.
Very well written. You know how to paint a vivid picture with your write.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping by and leaving me such a lovely review.

Chris
Unspoken poet

2 Years Ago

no problem
This is a great poem. Fitting for autumn. It would seem that the apparition is not bad, rather it seems gentle, enticing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you adornoscousin for your encouraging review. You are appreciated.

Chris

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1333 Views
69 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 24, 2020
Last Updated on March 24, 2020

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee