Flashback

Flashback

A Poem by Chris Shaw

let the dead rest, but i can not
so blame it on a blackbird singing

melancholic choking on notes
sorrow sticks like a crumb in the throat

i bring you back selfishly
to quiet Sunday isolated living

before flipping us into the sixties
into our threadbare history

where we danced on wood flooring
parquet in the town Pavillion

newly varnished,sliding, spinning
till out of breath we collapsed

laughing out of control while ice
in our drinks melted with our hearts

for four seasons carrier of my dreams
until i squandered you thoughtlessly

i blew you away, puff you are gone
like parachute seeds on a dandelion head

there, there my love you must return
let me tuck you in your long cold coffin

sleep, sleep my love, age does not alter you
as it wearies me and hurts my thinking

© 2020 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Those time travels of the mind can be all too real as the pain opens old wounds, but they too bring back those precious moments of joy shared and lived to the fullest Chris.
I know from experience how much of a daft sod you tell yourself you are, as you find tears and smiles mingling at what they truly meant to you.
Hopefully the warmth from the smiles they brought you linger longer.


Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Often a bitter sweet experience Lorry. Can have you smiling one minute and in tears the next. This y.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Lox
People around a person who passed away will struggle with their loss. But instead on fixating on how they go, we cherish the memories on how they were once with us. Beautiful poem Chris.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Lox, I really appreciate your thoughts and your visit. Thank you.

Chris
I love it, but it aches my heart. What a strong poem your crafted there, @christine! You're amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear Lale thank you for your lovely response. Sorry not to have thanked you earlier.

.. read more
Lale

3 Years Ago

No, it's Ok.. Thank YOU for sharing.
I enjoyed reading this ma'am. Remembrance of the resting that we were close with always makes us doubt whether to laugh about the good times or cry that they’re not here anymore.

sleep, sleep my love, age does not alter you
as it wearies me and hurts my thinking

Death; it is an end to the struggle. A long rest. I’m sure he was happy to be rid of the pain, his disease, and this world, as the good are.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you pinhead. He would have certainly been released from his pain. A life cut short. I really a.. read more
pinhead07

3 Years Ago

My pleasure :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Such a sad write, dear Chris. It's one thing this isolation has been notable for; making us sit and think and cast our mind back to our past and not surprisingly all our buried memories and emotions come bubbling to the surface. You have some lovely description here, painting the scene for the reader and then sweeping the carpet from under their feet at its ending. Life is full of regrets sometimes and its the regrets that always linger like ghosts in the mind. I enjoyed this one very much. At the least you have the memories of the lovely moments to balance the dark with the light. Much enjoyed, as always! :))

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Too much time on our hands at present. The mind starts to wander. Regrets yes, fir the way we parted.. read more
Loved the poem, really brought out the combinations of memory. Some good and some bad memories but all the same remembered. the ending was on point. :) pleasure reading your work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Antonio for your very generous review. All good wishes.

Chris
Chris, this is breathtakingly aching and I felt this deep to my bones. To remember and miss and return to a time of happiness, reverse the pain and longing to hold onto a familiar feeling once more, I not only felt this but resonate deeply with it...astounding poetry, blessings to you...

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

A lovely review from you Ruth. Thank you for your generous comments.

Chris
You lock the memories in a box but you'll always hold the box and feel it's weight, for better or worse.
Solid write, Chris.

Posted 3 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Ana. I appreciate your thoughts here.

Chris
Grief hovers over this one like a lingering dark cloud. The addressee is not named, but it appears to be one with whom the speaker was involved romantically long ago. Memories of the '60's well up, pleasant memories, but it ended after four years, apparently by the will of the speaker. There is regret here, seemingly an older but wiser feeling. Very imaginative imagery brings the pain home to the reader.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you John for your thoughtful comments. You are appreciated.

Chris
Cannot describe how much I love each and every line of the piece. Even if someone dies, memories with them never die. It gives you a bittersweet feeling just like how this write gives me. It brought back so many memories making me smile and weep at the same time.
Age always wearies me and hurts my thinking. :'(

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear moog-drika thank you so much for your lovely review. Much appreciated.

Chris
What a shame that some memories recall to us untold happiness. There are those that we wish we could hold on to forever. Then there is the reality of today - dreams are shattered and our fond memories are scattered to the four winds. Still, thankfully, we have those fond, glee filled recollections of the past, hopefully blanketing the sorrows of today. A powerful write here - Chris.
Take care - Dave

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Dave for leaving your valued thoughts. Most appreciated.

Chris

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 15, 2020
Last Updated on May 15, 2020

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Vultures Vultures

A Poem by Chris Shaw