A Rock And A Hard Place

A Rock And A Hard Place

A Poem by Chris Shaw

dreamscape does not gift,
depicting mother standing frail
on the edge of the world
>
blue planet lit bright with night
sparklers, spinning in a black sky, 
eternity beckons in background

a footstep behind, my daughter
caught in a trance of her own sad
making, balances precariously

on one red stiletto far too high
height is far from what she needs
as earth starts to rotate faster

what to do when stretches with
all of my might, fingertips fighting
to reach fall short

caught in a dilemma of lost elastic
my mind muddled plastic, every 
fibre forced but neither look back

a lack of will on their part, i ask
who is going to let go first and curse
i am not a maker of miracles

© 2020 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is indeed so hard to be in that place, to feel the need to help but can't for many reasons, to witness the harsh outcomes wrought by their actions. You have done your part. It is up to them to heed and listen. Life is hard. Must take hard choices sometimes. I would say love conquers all at the end. I felt this poem. The great agony. You write with impact.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Your thoughts and understanding Sami are appreciated. Have a good weekend.

Chris
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

You too. Thank you kindly...



Reviews

Very strong imagery and muscular language create a skilled reading experience - excellent.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you red93 for your visit. Much appreciated.

Chris
Sadly we are all of independent minds even though we share the same DNA and not at all to our liking when siblings do not heed to parental wisdom. Its all rather frustrating, annoying and the hopelessness of it all when you see a different picture and they can't. Nice write to ponder on.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Andrew for pondering on these lines. I appreciate the visit.

Chris
Second stanza is another painting.
Do troubling dreams contain solutions to problems posed?
Since the answer seems almost impossible to ascertain, I'll just yes
and skate on.
Spectacular poem, Chris!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Jimmy. On very rare occasions dreams have provided a solution. Most unusual though. Apprec.. read more
The challenge of being a parent. Would we have accepted it at the very beginning, if we knew what task we'd have to perform? Of course, we would, it's about love to do all to be the end-all of what they need what we can do for them. Even knowing they will eventually leave, they leave hopefully knowing we will always be there for them. Interestingly it doesn't end with them. It continues on with the grandchildren - why? Because of love.
Take care - Dave

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Dave, good of you to check in. I always appreciate your encouragement.

Chri.. read more
Ah....but time does NOT heal all wounds nor does love conquer all. I really like this post my friend. ~Sharon

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Sharon for your thoughtful review and visit. Take care and keep safe.

Chris
my heart goes out to your protagonist .. as parents age and become "children" once more .. teetering on the brink of both physical and mental worlds .. while children take those risks we know can be deadly .. i raised two boys and two girls ...took care of me Ma as she faltered through Alzheimer's ..the pressures HS children place on one another are so far out of the HS i grew up in. The drugs .. gangs with armament .. and sex pushed as if it were THE ticket to popularity .. and the bullying ... a united pusher to conform ... these are all well founded fears of parents who care for their children ... deeply emotive for me .. strong social implications and very relevant ... the triplets give it form and the flow of lines and words are as if a friend has asked me to sit and listen ... well done .. thanks for sharing Chris ... this one speaks loud and clear to me ... your closing is heart wrenching ... if only we could be workers of miracles :( love and peace ... best of the day to ya!
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

You always leave such encouraging reviews Mr E. Thank you do much for your thoughtful and understand.. read more
dear Chris... life is what happens... our Spirit is our guide; however our children must make their own way. Lovers may recover and others fold...
or teeter on their own. We can only pray and give encouraging smiles. You I am certain instilled a wonderful attitude that will always keep them balanced. tenderly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you dear Pat, I do my best to smile and accept what I know I can't change. Bless you for your .. read more
I'm sorry I've yet to review this! I haven't been very active on the site, but I'm coming back! I'm very glad I read this beautiful poem. Parents are so strong, taking care of their children, and filled with so many worries, and sometimes you can't do much to help. This poem is heartbreaking and honest, but as hard as mental illness is, I hope you and your loved ones are doing somewhat well and can enjoy your holidays or just winter. The words you write, as a mother, show your strength and brilliance, your love for your daughter shining through in each beautiful word. I've seen many parents that don't believe their children's illness, and the fact that you do shows your brilliance and kindness. Thank you for posting this, and the light you shed on this site.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Many thank yous dear Colacat for your thoughtful review. Always a delight to have you visit.
.. read more
As I have been reading Freud lately, I found this offering quite interesting. Dreams often picture situations in our own lives by means of sometimes bizarre symbols. Here the speaker is confronted by two different generations, the mother and the daughter. The mother is pictured as standing frail on the edge of the world, which I take to mean the end stage of life. The daughter, on the other hand, is balancing on one red stiletto heel "far too high." We are also told the "trance" is of her own making. Apparently she has gotten herself into a situation where she is losing control somehow. The speaker is trying to help both, but neither look back at her. The speaker feels unable to help either, but fears both will blame her if ill befalls them.
After reading this dream, I suddenly realize how few problems I have.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear John, I would say that you interpreted this dream very well. In fact it is a nightmare for me. .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

526 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 30, 2020
Last Updated on October 30, 2020

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee